KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the services of a CB1300 for the last year and it's time to move on.

I have looked at lots of things from an FZ1 to a Ducati 999 in order to try and figure out what I want. All I know is that I want something different that not many folk have but isn't going to be a crush for a 6'2" 17st fella. The guy at the local dealership, after hearing this, steered me first to a Ducati Hypermotard 796 then to a 990 supermoto. While I have never thought of this style of bike before, the more I think on it the more I like the idea. Thing is, what is there to expect from the bike - is it hard to control as the Superduke is supposed to be, will that seat just get too uncomfortable etc.

I guess that I just want to know if I am going to catapult myself out of the seat after 1/4 of a mile having come from a fairly prosaic CB1300...

Any help would be welcome.

Russell

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I done the same , went from a Triumph Sprint ST to a 950 Supermoto, and ive never looked back . I just kept getting bored of the bikes i was riding so i looked for something different . It fits my needs as a bike , great around the twisties and ok for longer rides and makes me smile mile after mile . Your best bet is to take one for a test ride for a few hrs and see how you get on with it .

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I went from Bandit 1200, and it was great move.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a test ride this weekend coming for a 2009 990 SM with 5.5k on the clocks. I will also be taking out a nice FZ1, too, as I like the bulldog looks. I hope that these bikes are completely different to each other and, I'd like to think, quite different to the CB1300. Even though the FZ1 is a jap IL4 naked bike I anticipate that the actual ride will be very different to the CB and I am looking forward to riding it.

Having said that, it's the 990SM that I keep on thinking about. Maybe it's because it's a new style to me or that everyone that has one thinks it's fun; I don't know why it's in my head but it is. However, I don't want to buy something that needs a well weathered hand to properly control, as seems to be the case for the SuperDuke. I am not that experienced, having just been riding for 3 years (though I used to have a VFR800 and MT-01 so it's not like I haven't ridden different styles of bike), so I am curious to know about how the bike feels in comparison to others and why folk think KTM's are so much fun.

In fact, is there much difference in how the 990SM'e engine, throttle and clutch operates in comparison with the SuperDuke? The specs don't seem to be that different...

Russell

·
Administrator
9,510 Posts
I have been riding for 18 months, I an 40 years old and only really messed about with mx bikes as a kid. I bought a 640 Enduro after passing my test and then bought my 950SM in November last year I am inexperienced but I have never felt intimidated by this bike or out of control, I don't go mad by I do have fun, and loads of it. The bike is really easy to ride and gives good feedback. I would recommend it.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I have had the services of a CB1300 for the last year and it's time to move on.

I have looked at lots of things from an FZ1 to a Ducati 999 in order to try and figure out what I want. All I know is that I want something different that not many folk have but isn't going to be a crush for a 6'2" 17st fella. The guy at the local dealership, after hearing this, steered me first to a Ducati Hypermotard 796 then to a 990 supermoto. While I have never thought of this style of bike before, the more I think on it the more I like the idea. Thing is, what is there to expect from the bike - is it hard to control as the Superduke is supposed to be, will that seat just get too uncomfortable etc.

I guess that I just want to know if I am going to catapult myself out of the seat after 1/4 of a mile having come from a fairly prosaic CB1300...

Any help would be welcome.

Russell
the main thing you will notice coming from a jap4 is the power delivery of the twin. if you havent ridden a twin that is. you will find you will be changing gears very 'early' on the 990. other than that sure you will love it. ive found it to be a great bike (950). easy to ride quick but will take a LOT of concentration to ride very quick. maybe more than say a blade or gsxr. but then thats what i want from a bike.. involvement :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
try to approach the test ride with an open mind. Most KTM's are very 'quirky' and alot of things which may seem like negatives at first turn out to be positives later on, like a lack of stability on my 690 actually makes it a huge amount more fun to ride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the main thing you will notice coming from a jap4 is the power delivery of the twin. if you haven't ridden a twin that is.
I did have an MT-01 and that's a twin. From what I have read, I am not sure that you can say that the MT and the 990SM are similar just 'cause they've got a twin engine, though!:eek: The MT-01 was very lethargic and as advanced as a wood burning stove. It also had a very limited power band of 1500rpm and didn't have as much low down drive I was expecting (certainly not as much as the CB). Lovely to look at, great sound and feel but a bloody awful bike to ride.

I would like to think that the 990SM would be all the good things the MT was and all the good things I expected it to be in a lighter more enjoyable bike that maintains a certain level of exclusivity. The FZ1 I am testing I like for different reasons but, as I said, its the 990 I am mostly thinking of.

try to approach the test ride with an open mind. Most KTM's are very 'quirky'...
I like quirky! What I needed to know, and I think I do now, is when people mention "quirky" is that just a euphemism for "impossible to ride?" It would appear not...

Russell

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
The 990sm can be a handful. The throttle response on a standard, un-modded bike is, lets face it, quite annoying thats why most of us either have some engine work done, or install
the G2 throttle cams (very easy job, 15mins and a noticeable improvement) This problem is only there at slow, 1&2 gear riding, so if you are going to use the bike as a town commute,
as a new rider it may prove slightly "challenging".
Saying that, I have used mine for the last 2yrs to get back an forth to work in town, and with a bit of clutch control, and a G2, I have quite happily ridd'in around the issue.
The 990sm really come in to it's own on the days when your out playing. As a fast A&B road bike, on British roads, I don't think there is anything better; even mates who have
SD&SDR's, find it hard sometimes with the conditions of the surface that the SM just fly's over.
There are quite a lot of mods that you will want to do to the bike to set it up how you want, so make sure that ya have some cash left over, and there are lots of threads on here
regarding what mods to do.
As for your size, well i'm 6'1, which is why I went for the SM over the SD.
You will not believe the amount of attention the 990SM gets from people when it's parked up, I have had people take pictures of it and stand around and talk to their mates about it.
It's a great bike, but it does come with some issues, and it may be abit of a handful to a new rider, so try to get a test for 2-3 hours, and see if you can live with it for the day-2day stuff.
It would be a good idea to take it out in the wet as well, as this is often when people have the most trouble with a snatchy throttle.
All in all, it's a great bike, and I do not see anything else on the roads that I like over my SM990, it kinda does everything for me, and if you were to change the seat for the smt gel seat,
stick on a touring screen, it would also do distance+pillion+luggage

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've had mine a bit over a month now; just starting to gell with the bike, it's real good. Great engine and confidence inspiring frame; good breaks too, think I'll change the tyres though. You'll find it way different to the CB. Hope you like it, take a couple of test drives before you part with your money.

·
Registered
446 Posts
+1 on what Simmo says. I bet the CB feels planted and smooth, and steam rollers bumps in the road. The KTM might feel a bit, err, "lively" in comparison.
I've got a flyscreen, luggage and SMT seat for mine, so distance isn't a problem either. But in the end it flies, stops and goes way better than a CB13.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I took a 950SM for a test ride .................and spent the next 6 weeks looking for one before buying from a forum member...
Its parked next to my VTR1000 (I like twins) in the garage so i have the best of both....

Still makes me laugh like the day i took the test ride :)

Rob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for the replies and help. If the ridiculous amounts of rain we appear to be having will clear, then I'll be out this Saturday for the test and I look forward to finding out if I'll click with the bike. Must say that the idea of the SM with an SM-T seat does appeal very much so I hope that I do. In either case I'll post my thoughts on Sat afternoon.

Thanks again,

Russell

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Is there any person who took a test ride, and didn't buy ?
I've bought my 950SM two weeks after a test.
Russraff you'll love it!!!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I'm still saving for a 950, I should never have ridden one till I had the money in my hand lol. As a general observation, I've found the upright seating and wide bars extremely flexible and forgiving on my moto. Have fun test riding.

·
Registered
173 Posts
+ 2 on what Simmo said. Ive had mine since June and done 3000 miles, love it, its a great bike.

I think the main difference will be how big you grin is whilst riding ;)

Good luck test riding

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi, Russraff. I hope I can help. I've Had a 950sm for 3yrs and absolutely love it, so much so that I've just sold my 58 plate CB1300 naked (I wasn't naked ,the bike was:rolleyes:) to buy a 990 smt.The 950sm is a brilliant bike for commuting,touring,hooning around and general riding on your own however the 990 SMT is better for a pillion. KTM have for me been very reliable and very well built just like Honda but with one main difference......SOUL,they remind you why you ride every time you go out,and you'll develop a stupid grin every rideout.The difference in handling between the two is amazing,my CB felt heavy and slow turning even with renthals and suspension tweeks, the CB was like riding a sofa comfort wise and my wife loved it as a pillion. The SMT with Gel seat is just as good she says and that was after a very long test ride (thanks Trevor pope)session.The differnce between the power delivery on a twin and a four is something only you will know if you like but it is something you will get to love,although the FI on the Honda is smoother but there are loads of mods if you want,but personally it does'nt bother me. fuel range is about 130 till the light on a 950sm dunno yet with the 990.Most of the naked IL 4 that I tested to replace the CB felt much the same experience but never did it for me. If I had to choose I would say the 990smt is the best alrounder,The 990sm is single rider friendly the same as a 950sm BUT the 950sm(carbs)is the Dogs danglies:D:D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Fret ye not about whether a 990 will chew you up and spit you out!

I passed my test 6 years ago and had a Thundercat till some :wanker: knocked me off it. Had to pay my credit card off and buy a new car so no bike for two years. Yearned and yearned for a 990 but couldn't afford one until some inheritance came through.

Found the bike I wanted at Avuss in Glasgow. Drove up, looked at it, sat on it, bought it! It was delivered the evening before I was going to Canada skiing. I was so grown up and didn't go and try it because any sort of bump would have spoilt my hols.
Rode it when I got home and have been grinning ever since! :smokin:
I hadn't ridden for two years when I got it. I thought the snatchy throttle was my riding!! PMSL
The bike has NEVER made me go "EEEK" because it's been scary. It just gives confidence and you will end up riding like a bell end!! :D
Example: Exited a roundabout in France and overtook two cars, gave it an extra big fistful for a giggle and proceeded to go past with the front wheel a foot in the air shouting "woooooooo!!!" :666: It was my first proper wheelie and was an accident. lol
BUT it wasn't scary!

If I haven't ridden it for a few days I go in the garage and look at it. My girlfriend thinks I'm mad! She bought a smells of wee BMW f650GS, I know she's mad!

Got it at the start of March and have done 6500+ miles, including 2000 in a week round France. Convinced the good lady to have a go (she has little legs and fretted about stopping and falling over) she sulked when I took it off her.

I've got a touring screen and SMT seat. Neither of these would I do without. Straight through carbon fibre cans and engine re-map have all but cured the snatchy throttle and are also great for making sure dozy car drivers know you're there.

During a discussion with mates about dream bikes they were all prattling on about exotic fantasy impractical stuff. I just said "that one" and pointed at her. I'm welling up a bit now! :redface:;)

Yeah, I can't do more than 100 comfortably. But that's a good thing!
I'm a pretty average rider but still have great fun embarassing litre sportbike Rossi wannabe's! :scooter:

Been out for a ride today. Think I might go out again now. They have that affect on you!

JUST BUY ONE FOR FECKS SAKE!!!!!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts