KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Got my first race this weekend, can't wait, i think the course is a mix of mainly woods, some fields and bogs.

Got any advice or me?

THanks

Ell

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
just take it easy, go easy on the bike, don't get carried away and stick to your own pace. oh and take a massive flask of coffee and loads of biscuits, all of your spare riding kit and anything else that can stand in as riding kit and as many spare parts as you have!! oh one last thing..... have a good one and get someone to take pics!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wear a camelbak or similar and take plenty of spare fluid. You'll need food for yourself too. If you're bike is running okay and is well maintained then the most important part of your first race is looking after the rider. Also, easier said than done but- don't get stuck in the bogs! I've found nothing else is quite as exhausting as trying to get a bike out of a bog and once you're tired you'll get stuck/fall off more often- it's a vicious spiral.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got my hydration pack out, borrowed some spare gear, dug out my flask and got my camera on charge, gonna watch out for rampant riders giving it the big elbow on the first corner, got a can of mace spray and a tazer, made up a tow strap from some webbing to get me out of the bogs.

if i see someone on the first corner on their knee's i'll give you a wave Steve.

Thanks fot the advice, it's a four hour enduro/ironman at Grampound in Cornwall

·
Registered
270 Posts
good luck mate, remeber pace yourself dont go to hard at the start or you wont make the end!! as for bogs i usualy get the front up a couple of inches and hit them hard to skim over, works 9 times outa 10. just try and get a dry line.

take my hat of to you hitting this one as your first bud.

the main thing is enjoy it mate.

·
Registered
62 Posts
as for bogs i usualy get the front up a couple of inches and hit them hard to skim over, works 9 times outa 10. just try and get a dry line.
Does that mean 1 time out of 10 the front end dives in and fires you straight over the bars? If you're lucky you clear the bars with your knees, if not you end up with lovely bruises. :)

If it is a H&H and not a full on Enduro then just remember that if you do get completely knackered and can't carry on, just stop in the pits and then wait until the end to take the chequered flag. It's much better to finish than to DNF.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Does that mean 1 time out of 10 the front end dives in and fires you straight over the bars? If you're lucky you clear the bars with your knees, if not you end up with lovely bruises. :)

If it is a H&H and not a full on Enduro then just remember that if you do get completely knackered and can't carry on, just stop in the pits and then wait until the end to take the chequered flag. It's much better to finish than to DNF.
nah nothing so severe :eek: usualy end up digging a big hole with the back end for the next guy to hit.:D

the one thing i did go out and buy thats made a big difference is the risk racing palm savers, they are the mutts nuts when your on a long course.

anyway good luck fella:scooter:

·
Registered
62 Posts
What is the difference between and enduro and H&H?
In an enduro you have a set number of laps/stages to complete and set time for each lap/stage. A H&H you have a set time for the race and you complete as many laps as you can in that time. That's a pretty simple description.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im no 46 iron man what no are you,camel vales dunmere is a proper enduro,near bodmin next weekend.

After some advice decided to share the load!

I think i'm number 21, team up with a mate now.

Feel bit of a pussy but think it's best for first event,

Se you there blakey

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Relax, stand up as much as you can, grip the bike with your knees (turn your toes in) and just enjoy it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts