KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Looking good, there seems to be a small following appearing for the new bike, I think it might get a little larger next week at least 5 of us ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice, I love my gen3, let us know how you find it v your S1000R
Took it out for a 200km ride in the mountains today, wow what a machine. Compared to to the S1000R I found the seating position almost the same, and that's about it. Everything else was just different. Once I got used to the gearing in the twisties and the handling I reckon I was already riding quicker and my mates I was with thought the same, chicken strips have all but gone. The quickshifter changing is miles ahead of the 2016 BMW, super smooth, loved it. Don't miss the mechanical sound of the BMW either, always grated on me. The SDR was on the quiet side with stock exhaust but I will be getting the Austin Racing slip on shortly. All in all absolutely no regrets, love the look and had people admiring the bike on our stops.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Took it out for a 200km ride in the mountains today, wow what a machine. Compared to to the S1000R I found the seating position almost the same, and that's about it. Everything else was just different. Once I got used to the gearing in the twisties and the handling I reckon I was already riding quicker and my mates I was with thought the same, chicken strips have all but gone. The quickshifter changing is miles ahead of the 2016 BMW, super smooth, loved it. Don't miss the mechanical sound of the BMW either, always grated on me. The SDR was on the quiet side with stock exhaust but I will be getting the Austin Racing slip on shortly. All in all absolutely no regrets, love the look and had people admiring the bike on our stops.
While I was cleaning my bike I noticed my rear tyre was worn to the edge too and I think that neatly sums up how sharp and confidence inspiring the gen3 is as we’re all still running the things in! I’ve got a 16T front sprocket on mine (17T std) which In lowering the gearing means I can use more revs through slower speed corners and brings 6th gear into play more on the road. Only a £35 mod and might be worth getting swapped at the first service?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While I was cleaning my bike I noticed my rear tyre was worn to the edge too and I think that neatly sums up how sharp and confidence inspiring the gen3 is as we’re all still running the things in! I’ve got a 16T front sprocket on mine (17T std) which In lowering the gearing means I can use more revs through slower speed corners and brings 6th gear into play more on the road. Only a £35 mod and might be worth getting swapped at the first service?
Absolutely confidence inspiring. Great idea on the front sprocket, I found cruising at 100 - 110 km/h was better in 5th then 6th. Does it affect the speedo or is the speed sensor in the front wheel?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ordered EvoTech Rad Guard and Tail Tidy today. 5 to 6 week wait here in Australia. Hope I don't get a rock in my radiator.

·
Registered
308 Posts
That is a wait, at least the rad guard will cover up all the stone hits you’ll get in the mean time 😂 I’m changing my exhaust can next, purely for looks, was going down the AR route but I’m veering towards an SC Project S1 now..

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mine arrived today for the new bike, 3 days from purchase , sorry to rub it in but there are some benefits to living in the UK :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well its not a competition and I think the gen3 and Streetfighter V4 apart from being 'supernakeds' are quite different bikes with different appeal but its interesting that 44 Teeth have just dyno'ed the SF and got similar results to the figures on an American dyno - not 200hp!

·
Registered
15,040 Posts
Well its not a competition and I think the gen3 and Streetfighter V4 apart from being 'supernakeds' are quite different bikes with different appeal but its interesting that 44 Teeth have just dyno'ed the SF and got similar results to the figures on an American dyno - not 200hp!

All manufacturers quote crank figures, a 1290 Superduke is 152-155 at the rear wheel stock. You lose 10-15% through the transmission

So the V4 is probably 200 at the crank 👍🏻

·
Registered
15,040 Posts
It’s bollocks that, I wouldn’t believe the yanks about anything

My first gen 1 SDR was dynod at 153 rwhp stock, 164 with full Akra and 175 with Motohooligan a pcv added

I’ve never seen a dyno of a stock SDR greater than 155 rwhp

This was all on the same dyno that had been recently calibrated

·
Registered
195 Posts

They are direct competitors unfortunately.

I wouldn't buy gen3 for its ugly exhaust. Cali Moto TV recently fitted relatively cheap Arrow slip-on, it looks great on V4S

1 - 20 of 29 Posts