KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Have you checked and set static and rider sag?

The stock suspension settings are a good guideline, but sag is especially important from a safety point of view if you think it's lively over bumps.
no, I haven't made any adjustments yet, I just thought I would ride it as is for the first couple of rides, next I'll return it to basic standard settings as per the handbook. Handbook settings tend to be a compromise for obvious reasons but as you say good place to start and it's easy to return to them if required. First job will be set the sag, I did put a cable tie around the fork lowers to see how close to bottoming out the forks are, this looks Ok but a proper set up will get it to point I can work from. Unfortunately with this bat flu lockdown in force no idea when I'll be able to get out on it, it'd quite frustrating...

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can set static and rider sag with a tape measure. You get kitted up as though going for a ride with usual gear, half full fuel tank will be about optimum. Admittedly testing will need to wait!

Getting the rear shock set correct is the higher priority so you don't get thrown out of the seat.

It helps if you've got an assistant but that's not easy to arrange at the moment.

Plenty of videos and info online.

I really appreciate how good the RC8 suspension is, and the adjusters really make a difference.

Just remember that chasing suspension perfection is a never ending cycle, for road riding you'll never get that golden adjustment zone that handles every scenario and tyre/pressure & weather combination. You'll find a nice compromise though.

For a single track you can get very close though.

When I first test rode mine, I was blown away. Then when I got home, I checked the tyre pressures. 50psi should be 36, everything was set up as sport. Too much spring preload. A high-side was on the cards if I'd started getting cocky.

Shows how good the suspension is to handle that many inconsistencies. Ok I was not really pushing it as it was a test ride but it felt like a scalpel.

After I corrected all of that, it is a bit softer but for the roads it's a lot safer now, less skittish and more compliant using most of the travel when dynamically loading up either end.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
suspension set up it definitely a 'black art', I use a front chock to support the bike and hold it upright with the stand up then for the rear a meter rule to measure the ride height, mark a datum point usually a piece of masking tape with a sharpie mark on it then all measurements can be made using that and yes an 'helper' is essential to take the rider on measurementst, front is easier because you can just use a cable tie and steel rule on the fork lowers. May have a go later and try and sneak out for an extended test ride tomorrow.
And your right road surfaces and conditions are so varied and unpredictable it's impossible to get a setting that works in 'all' situations best you can hope it something the works in most.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think you'll really gel with it once it's dialed in a bit more.

I sat on a Tuono but never got to ride one so far, the RC8 is about the same seat height, but more relaxed seat/peg/bar ratio if memory serves correct, also it's much more adjustable than the Aprilia.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think you'll really gel with it once it's dialed in a bit more.

I sat on a Tuono but never got to ride one so far, the RC8 is about the same seat height, but more relaxed seat/peg/bar ratio if memory serves correct, also it's much more adjustable than the Aprilia.
I think your right a few more rides out some tweaking and I'll hopefully get to setting I'm happy with one that instills confidence, because for me confidence in and trusting what the bike will do are very important. For example a couple of years ago I decided to fit an high bar conversion to my Aprilia, at the time I was very happy with the handling but not been a young man anymore I was suffering a bit with aches and pains in the wrist and shoulders so over the winter I got all the bits together. I found some nice Renthall bars, a beautiful billet top yoke, an old top fairing and cheap DB screen, over a few weeks I assembled it all cut back the top fairing to accommodate the bars painted it all up and it looked almost factory I was very pleased with the results. I was even more pleased when I rode it, around town it was like as big BMX bike, I felt like a kid, wheelies, stopies all became very easy and normal, I had a permanent grin on my face, now I not a stunter by any means but the new riding position and extra low speed control the big bars provided was amazing and very confidence inspiring. So all was well, unfortunately not, the gains in low speed performance were almost mirrored by a decline in high speed performance. On fast (100mph +)sweeping roads it went from feeling secure and planted with the clip-ons to vague and nervous with the high bars, my previous confidence in the front end gone. I tried all manor of different set ups, changed the ride heights jacking the back to get more weight on the front, changed pre load, damping I did pretty much everything it was possible to do to try and restore my faith in the bike. But once something is lodged in the mind it's difficult to remove it (at least for me) so despite trying a myriad of set ups ultimately I reverted to the stock clip-ons and all faith was restored. Ok I didn't feel as confident 'stunting' but that's never really being my thing so a small price to pay. I suppose thinking about it, the high bar conversion is a major change, but the profound effect it had surprised me and taught me all changes have some effect be that good or bad. Back to the KTM yes they are similar but with much more adjustability so with some persistence and trial and error I think it I can get it where I need it.
Before I bought the KTM I looked seriously at both the Tuono and RSV4,( the early Tuono is not fundamentally different to the RSV Mille so I didn't look at those), I found the newer Aprilias to small and cramped in comparison to the older model, the KTM by contrast is very roomy and even comfortable for a sports bike which is ultimately why I bought it.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts