KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 rc8r with a FMF pipe, SAS delete, and o2 delete w/ the KTM Akro map.
I bought the bike this way and it does not run very good.

I ordered my tuneECU cable and was going to disable the o2's and SAS and reupload the Akro map.

I was recommended on the State side forums to inquire about some FMF map that's been floating around on this forum.

Any recommendation on a map choice would be awesome!

I rode my buddies stock KTM rc8r and it's is smooth as glass....just trying to get it as close as possible to the stock smoothness. I wish the guy had all the stock stuff when I bought the bike :(

·
Registered
519 Posts
As far as I'm aware you're probably the only person in the entire world (well this forum at least) that has an FMF fitted. So the chances of finding a map here for one are pretty slim tbh. Do yourself a favour mate and get rid of it and stick an Akra or JCE on your bike. And if you don't really know what you're doing with the tuneECU thingy then give it to someone who does before you fuck it up.

Akra = proper custom map
JCE = can be done with 15min reset only. But it's a good idea to get your local KTM dealer to put the recommended map on for you. Takes abt 10 mins and will cost appx 40 bucks

·
Registered
16 Posts
FMF Map

As far as I'm aware you're probably the only person in the entire world (well this forum at least) that has an FMF fitted. So the chances of finding a map here for one are pretty slim tbh. Do yourself a favour mate and get rid of it and stick an Akra or JCE on your bike. And if you don't really know what you're doing with the tuneECU thingy then give it to someone who does before you fuck it up.

Akra = proper custom map
JCE = can be done with 15min reset only. But it's a good idea to get your local KTM dealer to put the recommended map on for you. Takes abt 10 mins and will cost appx 40 bucks
Here the deal gents For the 2011-12 there is a map in the U S made for the RC8R that is just for the FMF pipe.I have it I had to send my ECU to KTM to get it.Akra makes a map for it's pipe now fmf makes one for their pipe .FMF did it on their dyno and it is truly amazing.My bike is much quicker.I raced an R1 gace him a head start and pasted him at 150mph.I had a 10 with the same pipe the R1 would have smoked me.No this bike is a true missle one thing you can't fuck withanything sas plate O2 sensors leave everything alone the map does it all.not like the duke that surged all the time ,you can ride this bike at 5 mph and it won't surge it is smooth.

You can get to triple digets faster then ever I don't know what top speed is I know I have done 152 in 4th still had rpm left and 2 gears.

KTM got the 11-12 right it may not have the HP of a BMW but off the line no one scares me now after 180mph is where the BMW might get me has not happened yet the track i ride has short straights so my quickness wins It's an amimal coming out of a courner wheelies with no problem.

I got 2 track days coming up so I will see how much better it does.Last time I was doing 128 on the short straight which is very fast I had to stoppies to make the turn
But this time I think I can go even faster.Because the bike get to spee quicker As far as I know no one has gone 140 there with out missing the turn

It is a race map will not work for the 10 the low end is so fucking hard you better be ready for it.It is a new map so not many techs know about it.
Lucky for me my tech just got back from some training for the new RC8R as you gents know the bike is night and day differance from the 10.
So there in no mystery.It's a map made for the rc8r for that pipe it's not
tune ecu you just have to have tehc that know whats up.
I hope this helps I know you guys like the JCE it a good pipe and made there the fmf is made here . We like it but I think it's too loud for you guys
Vic They are on back order I sold 5 i only have one left I am also a Sato racing dealer
So i hope it solved the questions

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Never seen such an FMF pipe, they are so rare overhere.
But best is to get to a dyno-service and let (him or her) make yourself a custom map.
Btw you can always try out the 2031 akra map, it got the better fueling for the open exhaust.
I'm not a believer of the 15min reset...gaining power. It can help sort out some minor fuelling problems, the ecu learns the new conditions and adjusts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
pipes

Never seen such an FMF pipe, they are so rare overhere.
But best is to get to a dyno-service and let (him or her) make yourself a custom map.
Btw you can always try out the 2031 akra map, it got the better fueling for the open exhaust.
I'm not a believer of the 15min reset...gaining power. It can help sort out some minor fuelling problems, the ecu learns the new conditions and adjusts.
You are right the FMF is more of a USA JCE is a UK pipe shipping kills
plus because we don't have noise issues like you the JCE can be made to be less loud The FMF has no baffles it's loud when your on the gas ok at idle but it does sound good.But I don't think it would pass many of your track noise limits Here we don't care most of the time just a few do care.We have so many tracks that don't we just ride those. Noise limits on a race track thats crazy.IMO It's not that loud just over the 103 db's big deal .It's a fucking race track nothing sound sweeter than a V twin at 10 thousand RPM with a tuned exhaust. Oh why would i want an akra map when i have a map that was custom made for this pipe and the fueling is perfect.When the akra is a general map It worked good on my 10 because we had no FMF map. now we do. You want a map that was made on a dyno for your bike and your pipe. Trust me it's perfect.Just like the akra map that was made for the full system. You would not run the slip on map if you had the evo Right?
No akra for this pipe and year just the FMF it works far better than any general map.
This is why I bought it and I am glad I did. The JCE is a fine product and will work great ,But now I have a perfect map that does everything right I don't need to change a thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope this is informative for all, and I will try to keep this as organized as possible.

I downloaded tuneECU and ordered the cable to see if modifying the map will help my issues. (Note: Having the correct drivers and netframe 4 work will make this go much quicker)

1. uploaded the map and found that I had the stock map on the ECU
-No o2 sensors, no SAS and stock map = my issues lol
2. I downloaded this map
-KM693EU11B0334Map.hex OEM
-Deleted o2 sensors
-Deleted SAS
3. Test rode bike

As of now, there are only 2 maps for 2011 and 2012, I used the slip on map and there is a full EVO4 map, both EU until someone with US maps shares them on tuneECU.

My thoughts of map KM693EU11B0334Map.hex OEM
-This is the OEM EU akrapovic map
-confirmed it works with US bike
-15 min reset after map was downloaded to bike
-Bike runs really good now
-at WOT its a beast, I am guessing that the fuel trims have to be pretty close for the pipe, since they are both slip ons.
-Partial throttle is decent, since there are no o2s it stays in open loop
-Partial throttle could be a little more responsive, but its a tad to rich for partial throttle since its in open loop reading straight from the fuel trims with no adjustment
-no surging issues
-low speed riding in traffic is not and issue, could be a tad more responsive and smooth, but o2s will fix that

Honestly with some o2 sensors, the bike will go into closed loop and the partial throttle will be much smoother and better if I had them.

After riding a stock bike and comparing it to mine, I attribute the smoothness of a stock bike to the ability of it going into closed loop and great stock mapping.

Overall, it is a major improvement and a blast to ride. If anyone needs help or has questions, hit me up because this is frustrating and I would not like anyone else to go through my frustration, unless your a douche...jk lol

Also if anyone has questions on open and closed looped fuel trims, hit me up....I had a brain fart cause its pretty much the same as cars and don't know why I didn't apply it to my bike, guess I was worrying too much and not thinking straight cause I just bought a bike that was being a pain in the arse.

I will be picking up some o2s in the near future....anybody have some for me lol???

I will also be looking into the FMF map that Ovic is running, and hopefully get that available for other tuneECU users.

Moral of the story, unless its a track bike and your gonna be at WOT the whole time o2s are your friend for smooth street ridding they only come into effect at about 80% throttle or less (closed loop).

Having SAS deleted, mechanically don't see that as an issue, considering its recirculating air to reduce emissions (may cause an EFI light if the correct resistors are not installed or having the option turned off in the mapping).

·
Registered
885 Posts
Mate, O2 sensors are standard. What people do is fit eliminators, or switch them off. It runs much more smoothly when the O2 sensors aren't allowed to interfere. This is of course different if you've got wideband lambda sensors plugged in in conjunction with a PCV or equivalent and they actually do something constructive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts