KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 950SMR 08 and recently had a problem develop where when the engine is running and I engaged first gear and release the clutch the engine cuts out.

Now this is normal behaviour if your side stand is down, however my bike does this when the stand is up.

My dealer told me that the sidestand magnet switch needed replacing however on replacing it the problem is still happening....

So the dealer has tested all the relays and switches on the bike and they all check out and has also checked for any cracked or split wires to no avail.

They are stumped so they called KTM and they say that it could be something in the gearbox that sends a signal to tell the bike ecu that it is in neutral or not.

However the only way to tell if this is the problem is to fully strip the engine and take it out of the bike!!!!!

I am very concerned about this and there have no other theories about what it could be.

Has anyone ever had this issue and successfully resolved it?

ANy advice greatly appreciated. Bike has been serviced at required intervals by offical KTM dealers.

cheers

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
i woulda said sidestand switch , it can be bypassed by snipping and joining the wires its the pink and black wires you need to join together ,make sure you do this just after the connector block on the SWITCH side and not the main wire side !
the replacement might have been faulty too .as for the gearbox??? i'm not aware of anything in there that could cause this ?

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
I cant see how the neutral indication has anything to do with it. Youre trying to release the clutch while the bike is in gear!

I suspect your sidestand switch is misbehaving. Can you borrow a sidestand switch eliminator?
(dealer should have one on hand?)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the repsonses.

Well I tried using a mates KTM for parts when I broke down and tried his magnet from his sidestand but that did not work.

All I am told from the dealer is they tried a new switch and it still failed. I suppose the new switch could also be a duff one but how likely is that?

They also said they tested all the swtiches and relays on the bike and they all checked out.

The neutral light does come on as normal when not in gear and goes out when I engage first gear. It is only when releasing the clutch that it cuts out.

I will get back on them today to see if they made any progress.

Even KTM UK are puzzled by this.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Do you have the clutch sensor to stop you overkilling the clutch? ,they are on the 990 SMR, not sure on the 950 tho.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi yes I beleive I have th same system as on the 990.

Am now thinking about changing to the 990SMR and leaving the dealer with the issue as a trade in.

The engineer now thinks the issue does not require a engine strip but instead is some cracked or broken wire somewhere in the electrics.

They are not charging me any labour costs yet so I am leaving the bike with them.

Must admit I really want to know what this is so I can post it here.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You could always bypass the wireing its just a plug that needs to be pulled from down near the oil tank the fi light will come on but it should still run and then you will know for sure if its something in the gearbox ! i would also do a perm bypass on the stand switch they are usless and normally cock up when your in the middle of nowhere

·
Registered
288 Posts
Doubt it - it's got carbs ;)
There the same clocks as the superduke and thats got the fi light the fi light comes on the 990 even when its a error thats nothing to do with the fuel injection system ! if you were to say unplug the gear and neutral indicator wires what would pop up on the dash when it did the resistance check ?? do 950s use a diff system to the 990s ??

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yes SD, Adv, SM of that age all use the same speedo. I would have thought that the FI light is connected to nothing on a bike that uses carbs - why would it be?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello thought I would close this thread off. The dealer finally found the issue after some great advice from MoNgO MOTO.

They found a short in the wiring loom leading to the ecu. Just need a new part for the loom and I am back in business.

I find it amazing how one short like this can render the bike useless and really hope I never have this again after waiting 4.5 hrs out in the middle of nowhere for an AA truck to recover me.

Having said that I went to the dealer on Saturday and saw a nice shiny new 990SMR for sale....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey OP, and all the rest of yis.

I have the same issue with my 06 950 SM.
Seems to happen very intermittently, usually if I leave it of for a few mins, start her back and give it a good ol rev she starts to move when the clutch is released and not cut out.
The bike shop cant find the issue at all, can you tell me exactly where on the loom your issue was and the part that was replaced.

Cheers STMBKTM

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey OP, and all the rest of yis.

I have the same issue with my 06 950 SM.
Seems to happen very intermittently, usually if I leave it of for a few mins, start her back and give it a good ol rev she starts to move when the clutch is released and not cut out.
The bike shop cant find the issue at all, can you tell me exactly where on the loom your issue was and the part that was replaced.

Cheers STMBKTM
In the end they replaced the entire loom and it fixed the issue. Probably a broken wire in the loom somewhere. Never found the break exactly.

Also look at your sidestand kill switch. They can cause the same symptoms.

Stuart

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Hello thought I would close this thread off. The dealer finally found the issue after some great advice from MoNgO MOTO.

They found a short in the wiring loom leading to the ecu. Just need a new part for the loom and I am back in business.

I find it amazing how one short like this can render the bike useless and really hope I never have this again after waiting 4.5 hrs out in the middle of nowhere for an AA truck to recover me.

Having said that I went to the dealer on Saturday and saw a nice shiny new 990SMR for sale....
If you go for a 990 smr get a pre 2011 model (the one with the forged marchenesi wheels, carbon shields, black stanchions and brembo monoblocs. the latest models have a lower spec ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you go for a 990 smr get a pre 2011 model (the one with the forged marchenesi wheels, carbon shields, black stanchions and brembo monoblocs. the latest models have a lower spec ;)
Hi yes i did buy the smr. This thread is quite old now ;-) i have owned it for over a year and it is a great bike if you can get past the truly rubbish fueling at low speed.

2011 model is the one i have. I just ordered a multistrada for 2013 though.

Smr is a track bike and rules at brands but for everyday town riding it needs work on the fueling.

Stu

·
Registered
8 Posts
What was the solution?!

hi yes i beleive i have th same system as on the 990.

Am now thinking about changing to the 990smr and leaving the dealer with the issue as a trade in.

The engineer now thinks the issue does not require a engine strip but instead is some cracked or broken wire somewhere in the electrics.

They are not charging me any labour costs yet so i am leaving the bike with them.

Must admit i really want to know what this is so i can post it here.
hello bud, i'm super keen to know what solved the problem, as my 2005 950sm is also cutting out at constant throttle, high temperatures, but seems to idle alright

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Engine Cut out

hello bud, i'm super keen to know what solved the problem, as my 2005 950sm is also cutting out at constant throttle, high temperatures, but seems to idle alright
Hello there,

Been a while since I have been on here but saw your message comes up.

The problem with my old smr was never actually found. They ended up striping the bike and replacing the entire wiring loom which resolved the issue. I can only assume it was a bad wire somewhere.

Sounds like your issue might be something else though as my bike would not even fire. It was just a lump of metal.

Good luck with your hunt for a cause.

Stuart

1 - 19 of 19 Posts