KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all

We are planning a trip in Sept from North to South Portugal with as much offroad as possible and then road back.

A few of you very kindly gave me some trails which I loaded into my PC. One route represented 5000 waypoints which I broke into 14 sub-500 routes.

My Zumo does not show the offroad trails ie just arrows. Is there any where I can get maps that detail the offroad trails? If not, then any tips on using the Zumo with the routes I already have. Routes look great in Google Earth. Also where is best place to get maps and what scale is recommended.

If you are prepared to take a phone call then pls private msg me and I'll call you.

Thanks

Andy

PS Any recommendation re tyres? We are riding 2x Adv 950 and 2x Adv 990.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
EXRM193 is quite good with the Zumo 550, hopefully he will pipe up and help.

Send him a PM. We did that route last year but ran out of time so only got half way down. We used Zumo 550's.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EXRM193 is quite good with the Zumo 550, hopefully he will pipe up and help.

Send him a PM. We did that route last year but ran out of time so only got half way down. We used Zumo 550's.
Thanks a million. How much time did you allow for trip? Have you still got he route? Could you send it to me pls so I could take a look.

How easy was it to navigate with the Zumo offroad? I'm told you just get an arrow on the screen. Is this what you had?

Thanks again

Andy E

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
The Zumo is designed for road use, and tends to get upset if there aren't roads for it to route along. I use an old Garmin GPS V for off road navigation because it doesn't care about roads.

Navigating by arrow is fine once you get the hang of it - it should show the new direction shortly before the turn so you know to look for it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
set it not to recalculate routes if your doing a lot of off road with pre drawn tracks or other peoples ones, helps stop it getting confused if you go slightly off piste and need to ride back to the track else it tries to recalculate it and screws it up. I use mine off road all the time with pre drawn routes from memory map.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
the off road routes showed up from what i remember but speak to EXRM193 as he still has the routes etc.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yes, the Zumo doesn`t really like off road. As far as I know, the zumo doesn`t do a topo map....in other words, you won't get an Ordnance survey type map to show up on your Zumo screen. It is possible to follow off road routes, but the zumo will only ever draw these as straight lines.
I do have a Garmin Mapsource file of some 356 waypoints and 13 tracks which you are welcome to....just PM me with your email address.
We did north to south in 09 from Santander through the Picos. 6 days saw us get as far South as Ria de Averio. Then back by road....talking of which, you must do the N221 which runs from Pinhel in the South to Benavente in the North.....stunning

·
Registered
106 Posts
It will take you longer than you think on your Honda C90s Andy

Make sure you take the plastic shrouds off the bars to fit the RAM mount for that Zumo:)

(These 4 Dorset nutters left the 990's at home and did the Pyrenees on Honda Cubs last year, and have video to prove it...come on lads...share!)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It will take you longer than you think on your Honda C90s Andy

Make sure you take the plastic shrouds off the bars to fit the RAM mount for that Zumo:)

(These 4 Dorset nutters left the 990's at home and did the Pyrenees on Honda Cubs last year, and have video to prove it...come on lads...share!)
Hi Martyn

It's true. After a few pints we agreed to ride C90s from Bilbao to Cherbbourg (1,700 miles on small roads) dressed as superheroes.

Great time and even raced a GS down the Pyrennes and beat him!

Whole album:

Reached the summit: http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/...=view&current=16SuperHeroesreachthesummit.jpg

Give it a try. You'll love it!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts