KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the trip to the Ring has been and gone until early next year, managed a couple of good laps on Saturday night before they shut it...again. Car drivers just kept stuffing it every 30 mins or so which generally ends up with the track closing until the clean up has been done, then its cars out first if any oil got spilt (which most cars seem to fucking do) or nothing out if theres not enough time left.

So went back there on Sunday and it was pretty much the same story, closed on and off all due to fucking cars. Met 'Rich O' and his lads over there, we were the only RC8's so not hard to find each other (nice meeting you bud)

So Me & my best mate head up to the barrier, cards out and.....Nothing....WTF??? once again some wanna be racer mangles his car and we're stuck at the front of the Q.... so close and yet so far.

Anyway, 'ze track iz now open' comes over the tanoy about an hour later....woo hoo, here we go again :)

me and my mate jumped on our bikes and back up to the barrier, he go's through and while im fumbling for my sodding card that i stuffed down my glove cuff i get approached by a large German man waving his finger in my direction -

'whats up mate?'
'zee bike iz very loud'
'say again?'
'ZEE BIKE AUSPUFF IZ LOUD'
'nah, its ok mate ive already been on a few times, ask him over there'
'NEIN, you park there'

BUGGER! so he makes me pass through the barrier using my last lap card up and pull up before the cones whilst loads of bikers kinda look my way in disbelief as they pass and head ring bound.

One of his flunkys comes running out with a HUGE grin on his face and a fucking db meter, Big bloke walks around my bike with a clip board-

'what iz your name'
'say again?'
'TURN OF ZEE ENGINE'
'oh, right you are :redface:'
'YOUR NAME?
'erm....peter..:rolleyes:' (apologies if there are any peters heading to the ring with an RC8, i may of just given you a bad name)
'ZEE BIKE IZ VERY LOUD, WE MUST CHECK, IT MUST NOT BE OVER 100DB OR RING IZ SHUT'
':eek:'

on tick over flunky boy checks it very close......101.8db :eek::eek::eek::eek:

'YOU MUST 5000 RPM :mad:'
'say again?'
'5000....5......THOUSAND :censored::censored:'

i tried just doing 3k and he gave me death stare, so up to 5k she went.........112db:eek::eek::eek::eek:.....shite!

'ZEE BIKE IZ TOO LOUD'
'but?'
'112db IZ LOUD'
'yeh but ive been out already'
'NEIN NEIN NEIN, 112DB IZ VERBOTENE':mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

'ive got a baffle at the hotel'
'BAFFLE?'
'yeh db killer?'
'YOU COME BACK WE CHECK AGAIN'
'right you are :frown:'

luckily my mate Mark is a generous lad :D

2mins later i was back at the barrier riding a new shape blade running an Akra and not even a look in my direction. Off i went and just as i was settling in at around 4k marker there was a HUUUUGE crash between 4 gt3rs, man that was some moneys worth of crash. Anyway scooted round those fools and had a clear track for the next 18k or so.... not a bad ending really!

moral of the story? well, for starters take your baffle if youve got an akra!
Id use the far lane away from the big blokes cabin....dont rev.....and if the barrier gos up just gun it :)

112db sounds alot to me but thats what his meter read at 5k, im pretty sure you dont check em so close but no point arguing with him, just stay cheeky and smiley and you may have a fighting chance!

great weekend though, next year im ready for him :)

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
PMSL. F'kin hilarious the way you've written that, urm... Pete.

I know a few have been with Akra fitted with baffle and not had any problems, but I put the OE system on when I went over. I just wasn't prepared to be there for 5 days and not be able to get further than the barriers, though I had a backup plan of entering at the half-way point and trying to sneak it through the main entrance for a few laps at a time, lol. Mate got turned away on his gixer 1000k6 with a Yoshi and no baffle so I'd have been surprised to get through even with the baffle in the Akra to be honest.

Shouldn't be amazed at the variation in dB readings from various meters I suppose, but was amazed when I got a reading of 101dB from unbaffled Akra at Cadwell the other month. Every other time it's been bang on 105dB at 5000rpm

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
:rotflmao:, love the write up, u just missed the part out where he asked you for your papers......and a slap round the face with a leather glove....:D

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:rotflmao:, love the write up, u just missed the part out where he asked you for your papers......and a slap round the face with a leather glove....:D
oh, he did tap me on the ass when sending me away :)

NEEEIN........AKRA IZ VERBOTENE! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
:rotflmao: great story .... not when you are the guy on the RC8 tho :frown:

Last 2 years I went with the German DSK to the Ring.
You can become a member and then sign up for the ring day.
The best thing of it is that you can ride for 4 times an hour with only bikes on the track. After the hour the cars go out for an hour and so on.
There are also instructors available starting from beginners on to very fast.

Here is a lap from this year, didn't had the 8 yet, so still on my R1 ....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mmmm I've got a ride tomorrow and they are saying that it must be 97db at 30 metres. You think that I'll be right with my RC8 and Akra with no baffle?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Apologies Damo I had me Akra running up over here when you were tested.:D
Must have been the reason for the high db's you got.!!!!

PLC 250 days to go

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Mmmm I've got a ride tomorrow and they are saying that it must be 97db at 30 metres. You think that I'll be right with my RC8 and Akra with no baffle?
Is that a ride-by-test or static at that distance?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
the deeper the sound, the further it travels, find out where he is hiding and drop the throttle

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Only a 'fool' would approach the barriers on the Nordschleife with an Akra and no baffles.......... Mate I fit the baffles at Eurotunnel just in case the winds blowing towards the 'Ring'.
Great write up mate, glad you managed to get round there before Herr Hauptman pissed on your strawberries.
Silverstone 11th Nov? Go on, get the RI and 'wets out'.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only a 'fool' would approach the barriers on the Nordschleife with an Akra and no baffles.......... Mate I fit the baffles at Eurotunnel just in case the winds blowing towards the 'Ring'.
Great write up mate, glad you managed to get round there before Herr Hauptman pissed on your strawberries.
Silverstone 11th Nov? Go on, get the RI and 'wets out'.
I did take the baffle, ok so i didnt fit it at all the entire long weekend but the masses were loving the sound of it :)

Many a 911, R8, ferrari owner were deeply envious of the rumble i was creating i tell ya, good thing is you dont need a horn, just hoon up behind traffic and shut off the throttle and the sound is immense....I BLOODY LOVE IT :)

still, i will be ready for him next time, i may were those fake glasses with the nose attached on the outside of my helmet to see if that fools him ;)

Silverstone 11th Nov you say? I 'may' be able to do that..... afraid if its looking like wets i'll no doubt decline though drinky, christ knows what shit storm id cause going round a track i dont know on tyres ive never used before :)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I can bring you a 'loose' set of wets for the day mate, you'd have to pay for them to be swapped if you needed them but I can get you a set 'just in case'.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Achtung, Achtung, Zilerstone on Zunday? Its the British Zuper Bike, which could have been the Third Reich Superbike. Are you planning on going Damo?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not really thought about the BSB ii I'm honest, guess I could but not sure if funds will provide after my recent trip mate. At least not until pay day :)

why you going?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts