KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tyre fitting .... .... ... .. . I fookin hate it! :mad:

What's best for lube to help get the bead over the rim?

I'd heard soap - then someone said that had salt in it that caused corrosion .. swarfega, washing up liquid - heard it all but I just don't know what to use.

I gotta fit two new D908s tomorrow night - so who can give me a clue what lube to use??

Pete

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I use a bit of washing up liquid - can see a problem using it and never have had one

But then I hardly use any at all - literally a drop or two in your hand and then on the outer rim only where the tyre contacts and where you want it to slip on so it drops over the edge and into the bead area.

Of course, you could just get the skill to do it proplerly

Or pay the local garage £5 to do it for ya ya tight git! :eek:

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Talc, no gooey mess and avoids chafing
Talc. +100 ^^

I keep my tubes packed in a bag of talc. It stops them chafing AND it means the tube is lubed ready to go. And the loose talc in the bag I use for the tyre.

The talc'd tube also has the benefit of reducing tyre heat (esp if youre running heavy duty tubes)

And it also means that after a tyre change... you smell nice! :D

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or pay the local garage £5 to do it for ya ya tight git! :eek:
yeah yeah yeah ..... I'm trying to develop the bloody skills mate:rolleyes:

I can tyres fitted free ... (I even get the tyres free) but i want to be able to do it myself. Last time (if you remember) I fooked the bead on a brand new back tyre :eek::wanker:

You just wait - I'll do it right tonight.

Pete

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
yeah yeah yeah ..... I'm trying to develop the bloody skills mate:rolleyes:

I can tyres fitted free ... (i even get the tyres free)show off but i want to be able to do it myself. Last time (if you remember) i fooked the bead on a brand new back tyre :eek::wanker:

You just wait - i'll do it right tonight. on a promise then, pete?

pete
:d:d:d:d:d

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:d:d:d:d:d
Yes I am a promise ............................... promise of a ride out on Sunday morning with Martynho - few lanes, brekkie and a few lanes :D

Anyway - how's the fliming of Broke Back Mountain 2 going Rob? ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'll come over and give you a hand if you like. I have these trick motion pro tyre levers that make a hell of a difference.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll come over and give you a hand if you like. I have these trick motion pro tyre levers that make a hell of a difference.
A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do ............................

Unless you're always gonna be on call to give me a hand - whenever - wherever - I gotta get the practice in until I'm as good as Gareth 'the tyre changer' (and general fitter of bling) Jones ;)

Thanks for the offer. Later tonight when chasing my wheel around the garage floor in a sweaty mess :eek:............... I just might give you a call ;):burnout:

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Once you've mastered it, feel free to share the knowledge. I tend to use one of these:

I know the theory, but but it always goes to shit when it comes to the practical :redface:

...bent a rim last time - and no, I've no idea how I managed that. :wanker:

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I bloody well done it :D

Front and rear fitted - back on the bike just under 2 hours. :D:D

I may not get a job at kwikfit but I'm chuffed ;)

Talcum powder . . . . that's the trick :burnout:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts