KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just joined up having just bought my first adventure bike, an 1190 adventure. Lucky to own a few old bikes, newest being a 2002 Speed Triple 955i which is pretty impressive to be honest.

Looking forward to getting familiar with the KTM. Only ridden it on the test ride so far but it felt promising. I'll let you know how I get on...

Cheers p

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Great bikes, loads of fun, bags of character, really miss mine and in some ways preferred it to my new 1290, particularly just for shorter rides in the countryside, money no object I would of kept both, did briefly and would often grab the 1190 for a short spin over the 1290.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have finally got round to getting a few miles on the 1190 and well pleased with it so far. The engine is amazing! I’ve been keeping it above 2800 to prevent lugging it but suspect I’m being over cautious? Not used to big twins...

I have wired the new satnav in and become familiar with the removal of the tank cover, side panels and headlight. Slightly stressful at times.Should have watched uTube first🙄.

Of course I’m locked down now but do have an elderly relative I need to visit tomorrow so might give it another run, otherwise I’d be taking the car anyway.

Anyway stay safe and look after yourselves. P

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
In lower gears they pull OK from below 2.5k - especially as they just rip up the revs and into smoother territory so fast, I could drop to @ 2k in 2nd on Alpine Hairpins, but in 5th / top I found much below 4k could be a bit lumpy if you gave it a big handful, also needed to be doing about 65 to be smooth and steady in top gear.

I found for cruising / touring I would be shifting gear at 4-6k, right in the mid-range sweet spot.

The 1090 / 1290 is noticeably smoother, but as with all big twins a huge handful at silly low revs will get it shaking a bit, and the extra low down of the 1290 really encourages it, whereas the 1190 did not really build power until north of 3k by which time it is smoothing out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts