KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals,

Noob motorcycle owner here (at the ripe age of 37) with intentions of doing big bike license next spring but wanted to enjoy what few months of summer we have. Subsequently have secured a 2020 125 Duke and eager to get my bearings. I'm no stranger to two wheels having been a competent mountain biker for the past 25 years but the dear wife gave me a green light which I never expected to have - tell me I am not alone there!?

Those that have or have previously owned Duke 125's I'd very much welcome any insights (good and bad) and any advice (good and bad) you might have.

I will get upgraditis very quickly, a horrible impulsive habit that has only grown with being more responsible, grey hairs, and age. So, for that very reason, I'd also welcome your advice on shiny things I don't need, but will REALLY want.

Cheers folks 馃憤

Registered
Hi Stu,

I bought a 2019 125 Duke in January at the ripe old age of 48, something that I have intended to do for years but never got round to it.
7 days into ownership I fell off and broke my thumb (I was stationary at the time), gutted I had to wear a cast for 6 weeks.
I've now ridden it about 2500 miles would have been more but I couldn't get it serviced due to lockdown.

Get a screen protector for the dash, I scratched mine when cleaning mud off it. Still, winds me up after 4 months.
If you have the money upgrade the seat, it's really uncomfortable I can manage about 2 hrs before my arse goes numb :) (although I'm tight and have not upgraded)
I've put a screen on it (helps with the wind blast), a chain oiler and replaced the levers after breaking the end off one (folding ones now)

Even after 2500 miles it still makes me smile, Yeah it's a bit slow but then I am 6'1" and carrying about 15st. It gets faster going down the hills!!!
My journey to work is 15 minutes faster than my 200bhp Car, it's plenty fast enough for commuting.

I'll probably look at taking big bike test at the end of the summer, mainly to lose the L plates

Cheers

Registered
Hi there for a lightly scratched LCD screen try T-Cut car paint restorer.

I stuck a satnav on mine and the suction cup somehow left a round scuff mark on the screen, Duraglit wadding polish removed the mark completely.

Also if it鈥檚 just the second service you are waiting for (I assume it is, as you鈥檝e ridden 2,500 miles) the bike will be fine if you go over the service date, the second service isn鈥檛 until 4,000 miles anyway.

Registered
Hi there for a lightly scratched LCD screen try T-Cut car paint restorer.

I stuck a satnav on mine and the suction cup somehow left a round scuff mark on the screen, Duraglit wadding polish removed the mark completely.

Also if it鈥檚 just the second service you are waiting for (I assume it is, as you鈥檝e ridden 2,500 miles) the bike will be fine if you go over the service date, the second service isn鈥檛 until 4,000 miles anyway.
Thanks, Zero - never thought to polish it out :)

Mine was due in the workshop in Tewksbury on the day of lockdown (it was on 620 miles then), Still waiting for the service department to contact me to book it in.
After another 300 miles and 2 months, I gave up and played the keyworker card to KTM UK who got me in at another dealership.

So I should be OK until the next lockdown :eek:

Registered
Yes you don鈥檛 want to let the first service run too far over. But in an emergency changing the oil and filter will be sufficient.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts