KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So traded the 1290 sas 17 plate in today and took out a new 71 plate 1290sas so far so good apart from preload malfunction which went after restart much smoother and more compliant suspension are the most noticable things so far

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have to agree. The 2021 I rode was smoother and more compliant than my 2020 model. But didn't do it for me. I bought mine because KTM's have that raw slightly unsettled and aggressive edge which I love. If I needed smooth and compliant there are many bikes out there that do it better than the 2021 KTM. Still, variety is the spice of life and life would be boring if we all thought the same way. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I found the lack of leg room on the new model an issue - the lower seat is probably better for the 90% of the population under 6 foot / less than a 34" inside leg though.

Also prefer to be sat more "on" the bike than "in" the bike - felt like it had moved a step too close to the GS for me, but probably also more likely improve sales.

Did not find it that much smoother than my 18, and suspension did not feel a lot different - at least not within the confines of a 30 minute test ride, but what I do know from owning 3 1x90 adventures is they do "bed in" a bit, so maybe with a few miles on the new bike would be significantly softer....

...Not sure that is a good thing, when both my 1190 and 1290 where new I found comfort good enough 75% of the time, then after a few thousand miles Street tended to hit the sweet spot most of the time, if new one is softer I would worry after a few thousand it would be too soft and wallowy for my liking.

I really loved the 1190 and found it had a bit more character than the 1290 (17-20) but the 1290 had cruise and was a better touring bike, the 21' model does not seem to have moved things on that much to me - split rads and promise of not roasting my legs on hot days is a bonus, and I really like the granular suspension control - but not worth the @£5k upgrade cost.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The heat is certainly better on the new one but the fans come on never heared my old ones fans run

As for the suspension when i sit on the bike i can bounce it the old one was like rock there appears to be plenty of adjustment to make it harder plus both feet flat on the floor at stand still which i like seat material is not to my liking seems to be making my arse sore maybe ill get used to it

·
Registered
174 Posts
I figured out on my bike what causes the preload or damping errors. If you let go of the start button before the engine is running, that's causes it every time on mine. So I now know not to do that.

Needs to be turned off for a good 10 minutes for the error to go away.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What are you seeing as "preload malfunction" is it a message on the screen? You certainly don't change the suspension unless you are 1. sitting on it (needs the weight otherwise you confuse it) 2. with the engine running (powers the suspension motors).

·
Registered
174 Posts
That's what I get on mine. It's easy to replicate if you just let go of start button before engine is running.

Did message KTM about it but it needs logged through the dealer apparently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts