KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am bit puzzled. When I picked up my 450 from the dealer few weeks ago, I drove around the block and then let it idle to see if the fan starts. After a while coolant came out through the overflow. The fan started and stopped again.

The dealer said that this is nothing to worry about as they fill the radiator full up during pre delivery check. As the fan started and also stopped after a while I thought everything is fine.

I rode it a few hours and also dropped it a few times. I filled up the radiator and after a while it started to piss coolant on the cylinder and exhaust. I took a new, longer hose as the steam is annoying so that the coolant now comes out at the rear swingarm.
KTM says when you look into the radiator when the bike is standing upright the coolant should be visible when engine is cold. I checked that and could not see any coolant so I filled up till coolant was visible above the gills/fins (dunno if thats the right word) inside the cooler. Today I rode again, same shit, coolant pisses out of the overflow. Fan is running and stops after a while. I rode back to my garage and waited about 5 minutes before I opened the radiator cap. When the bike stands on its sidestand I can see the coolant, as soon as I put it upright I cant see it anymore, although the engine is hot.
The engine pulls fine, sounds healthy and there are no indications that it its running hot although it seems there's not enuff coolant in the radiator.

As I am a newbie to enduro/moto-x bikes I wonder if everything is okay or not. At KTM they said "dont shit yer pants mate, its just a fookin enduro" :redface: :frown: :eek:
Maybe it is, but I spent all my money on this "fookin enduro" and KTM offers no warranty for "competition bikes" so I want to be sure that everything is allright...

Any suggestions?

Thx
Steve

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
You do need to run it just above the fins when cold and level.

But it sounds like yours is boiling over.

Ask the dealer if you can try another radiator cap. Make sure the surface inside the radiator that the seal touches against is not damaged.

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You do need to run it just above the fins when cold and level.

But it sounds like yours is boiling over.

Ask the dealer if you can try another radiator cap. Make sure the surface inside the radiator that the seal touches against is not damaged.
ok. thanks for the hint with the cap, I will try to get another one for testing. ok, fins the word I couldnt find. Yep, the level should be just above the fins but after riding it is always slightly below...even when warm.

I will have the bike at the 3 hour service soon, maybe they can find whats wrong...

Thanks for your help, most appreciated.
Steve

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@KevInYorks: I checked the shop manual ( a mate gave me 5 minutes ago) and there it says that 120 degrees are normal and allowed and this temperature wont harm the engine. They also say the coolant should be 10mm above the fins and the cap is the most important part as it allows overpressure. If the valve in the cap bleeds pressure to early the coolant starts to boil long time before its reached 120 degrees. So I am convinced thats the problem...
Let u know...
CU
Steve

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have heard of new bikes having the incorrect pressure rating on the rad cap. Check what it should be against what it is.
As Steveman says, pressure leak will allow the boiling point to be too low.

T.

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea Timpo, I think the pressure is printed on the cap. Cant remember but think its 1,8 bar... will check that.

Thx, Steve

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks mate, checked mine and it has 1.8 too..... mh.... however will try a new one....

regards, Steve

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem solved. It was the radiator cap which obviously released pressure before 1.8 bar were reached.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts