KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded in my 06 Blade for this bad boy:

KTM SUPERMOTO 950 SMR 950cc , 2009 09 Reg , 2,020 miles, Black. Akrapovic cans,touring screen,carbon front fender,carbon rear hugger,rim decals, excellent condition. Full Service History, Alarm, Immobiliser, £6,495

Gonna miss that crazy Blade power & looooong gears but its never fitted me that well, no more being cramped over a tank!

Pick up on Saturday, I'm off to trawl the forum for mods :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hope you enjoy it, I traded in an 03 Blade at Hyside for my 950SMR and haven't regretted it, just done 250 miles along the south coast on it today.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha yep Hyside, I do love the Blade power but its far from practical & as I said I don't fit the bike that well & I have a short commute so SMR it is!

Anyone got a link to the X bikes mods?

Cheers fellas

·
Registered
147 Posts
The main problem with the tank is the range, I can have the light coming on after 80 miles! Still gives the KTM bum a rest!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Did 250 miles yesterday, with cylce shorts on. They help a bit. Just got in (early) from green laneing, my mate was out on his CCM 404 for the first time. Think I broke him! On his third off bike forces him to do the splits. Result, 1 torn thigh muscle, me riding his bike out of the lane for him and a slow poodle home. That'll learn him!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice one Natty, what's the steering damper like & how was the HID conversion? Where did you put the ballast?

·
Registered
147 Posts
OUCH!!! That'll learn him to have a CCM!!

Where do you go lanning dude?
After having ridden it out of the lane I prefer my DRZ. Then again I have had it 3 yrs and tailored it to suit me. We were out round Ongar, Moreton and Matching Green in Essex before the unfortunate incident. We were heading for the Essex Way and out towards Braintree.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After having ridden it out of the lane I prefer my DRZ. Then again I have had it 3 yrs and tailored it to suit me. We were out round Ongar, Moreton and Matching Green in Essex before the unfortunate incident. We were heading for the Essex Way and out towards Braintree.
Ahh cool, i've been out that way a little bit with some of the Essex Bikers mob. Some good lanes out that way, you based in Essex?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, near Romford.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nice one Natty, what's the steering damper like & how was the HID conversion? Where did you put the ballast?
The damper is excellent. I don't use much of the range, usually set to 2-3 clicks. It makes a big difference on the open road, loaded and also on the track. It also allowed me time to climb back on after a deer tried to hop a ride with me last year. The impact had me dangling off the RH side of the bike, the damper kept the bike from weaving, allowing me to regain control, then come to a safe stop.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Natty, do you find it helps with the light front end at speed? (Obviously we are gonna get some of that feeling due to the geometry)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks Natty, do you find it helps with the light front end at speed? (Obviously we are gonna get some of that feeling due to the geometry)
Yes the damper does help at speed. That said, before going that route I'd be sure you don't have any other issue affecting the stability of your bike. The SM/R usually isn't too awfully light at speed. I would start with the chassis setup basics and be sure you have that right before splashing out for a damper. One issue that seems to catch out quite a few new SM/R riders, myself included, is a tendency to grip the bar too tight at speed. You can induce a fair bit of weave that way. I don't know your history or your bikes but if you need help with a instability problem there is a good bit of help here. Let me know and I'd be happy to do what I can to assist.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts