KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I will get a biased view here for going orange :D but also think if you guys on here dont know the pros and cons then who will.
I keep thinking my XR has run its course whilst being absolutely great, I want something else.
I trail ride, I dont do enduro, but sometimes Im in the woods on singletrack and sometimes Im riding long range on tarmac to have fun in mid Wales. I was thinking 400 exc, but then also look at 450 an 525. I would guess even a 525 weighs less than a XR4. I mean I sit at 55 on the XR on the road and its definately not being thrashed and the brief ride I had on a 4000 exc it seemed to sound even less stressed at 60?? so a 450/525 would be even better???
I realise they are more enduro engineered bikes than XRs and therefore maintenance is greater due to less oil but how often do some of you trail riders change oils. I keep thinking its got to be every other ride, but others I talk to say 10 hrs ( which could easily be 500+ miles) is more than good enough for non competion stuff. Cleaning an bunging in a spare air filter is not a problem either so no real drama there.
I guess the only thing is valve checking... never done it on shim types and they never really move on my XR, so how often does stuff like this need to be be done really??
Cheers I look forward to peoples thoughts

·
Registered
987 Posts
EXC 400 all the way :smokin: its just what you want for road and trail

·
Premium Member
31,545 Posts
its only the 08 on bikes that have shims

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
oil change at 20hrs if you are just trail riding. 450's are more plentifull. they will pull 90 on the road even with off road gearing, but that is flat out. they make great trail bikes! get a pre 2008 one for easy home maintenance. tappets not shims

·
Premium Member
31,545 Posts
There you go, buy that. If you need a bit more grunt after a few months, its easy to make it a 453 or 470cc. An evening's work :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well got the 450 and today was its first day out................................... WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
:) lovely bikes - when you going to race it;)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Well.....what you got??? Model? Year? Pictures ;)

Let us know how you get on :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought the best I could afford. 06 rfs 450 exc, my mate was so impressed he chopped his R6 in for a newer model than mine.
This bike is going to take some getting used to. Its already on 14/50 gearing and the power after an XR is phenominal,mind it doesnt half light up when you twist to go, not sure if its good but on hill climbing a steep grassy bank it was stepping out rather than digging in hmmmm ................................... but its the suspension that has really impressed me.
What Im not too happy with is the seat... I have sore sit bones tonight:hmh:

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
yes they are a bit hard after an XR! ref spinning up - using too much gas will do that. you need to keep your momentum up and keep a steady throttle with lower revs. if you give it a handfull it'll light up in any conditions even on tar (found that out early!). 14/52 is a good setup as it makes first gear easier in tight going.
mind you i see your bike has an orange spring. mine was white as standard (now also a k-tech in orange) so maybe it has had a heavier weight spring fitted and its too hard for you? measure the rider sag to be sure.

·
Registered
409 Posts
re. spinning up, it may be just my eyesight, but it looks like a new back tyre ( with bigger knobblies ) would reduce the amount of spinning

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well new tyre was something I thought of, will probably change to a Mitas if I can get them in the size required. Orange spring? Will it be rated stiffer.. I only ask as it probably suits me as Im a fair lump:D

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
That is a nice looking bike! good clean one and the 450's are still my fave!! the seat is hard and not really designed to be sat on!! it really is a race bike and you dont see many racers sitting down, also standing up will shift your weight and help the back end not spin so freely!

have fun, totally different kettle of fish to an xr!

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Well new tyre was something I thought of, will probably change to a Mitas if I can get them in the size required. Orange spring? Will it be rated stiffer.. I only ask as it probably suits me as Im a fair lump:D
Mitas co2 are good for wear but not all that in slippery going. knobs are a bit wide. for ultmate grip i'd recommend a golden tyres GT216. or metz six days, mitch comp's - all better than a mitas for grip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts