KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got my RC8 in October rode 300 miles & then put it away fro the winter, returned to the pushbike. I would like some advice on slow riding, I have a problem with slow riding & the bike stuttering. Now I hope I'll be back on the bike this weekend & in a few hundred miles we may get used to each other & things will be fine. All through the winter I've looked for solutions & there seem to be a few around. Could anyone give me a bit of guidance, I've the 2012 model. I've seen posts on Power Commanders, RC8R throttles, re-mapping, plug ins, to make the mixture richer, any help would be great. The bike rides like a dream out of town (Cambridge) but, in town its a bit snatchy. Thanks Folks, :smokin:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Lots of clutch slipping!

I've not tried it but most people would tell you a 16t front sprocket and a new throttle cam is the easiest way to make low speed riding better.

An aftermarket exhaust makes a big difference to how the engine revs low down. Add a custom map to that and its awesome. There are maps kicking about to use with the stock exhaust that are supposed to be good.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
thinking you need tunecu and turn of the O2 sensors ,nasty feel at 3000 I seem to remember ,as above R throttle and drop the gearing .transforms the bike about town

·
Registered
266 Posts
Go and see a reputable dyno man and get your ECU remapped - he'll richen it up and retard the ignition timing and make it all lovely. Track Electronics made my 2012 R a different bike to ride around town, and I'd tried throttle tubes and disabling O2 sensors and SAS; well worth the 180 quid he charges

·
Registered
399 Posts
PCV with a custom map, remove SAS and remove the O2 sensors. I didn't have to change any sprockets or anything like that and the bike is spot on for town riding as well. She is an animal out of town.....:)

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I have the (gay ;) ) Orange progressive throttle tube & grip for sale.... Makes for a really easy swop over??

·
Registered
32 Posts
I empathize with you! I grew up riding the likes of CR250's but I still found the RC8 pretty snatchy.

So far all I've done is a progressive throttle tube and adjusted the slack in the cable, made a pretty big difference for me. I'm switching off the O2 sensors this weekend as well. I'm on stock exhaust.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I slipt he clutch from time to time. not so much as slip as just pull it in, I don't like riding the clutch.

Although, ive never been a fan of speed limits so I just gas it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The other thing that is worth bearing in mind and nobody has mentioned is the fact that pretty much all twins are agricultural, lumpy bags of crap at low speed. You can spend a fortune trying to smooth them out at low end revs and never be happy, especially if you're new to owning a twin and coming from an IL4 background. You can certainly make them more tolerable at lower speed riding by spending a few bob but if you want buttery smooth then you're best off going back to a rice burner <spits on ground> :rotflmao:

Having owned nothing other than twins for the last 16 years, I like the fact that they can be a bit "difficult" to live with. Try a couple of the easier and cheaper fixes first and just ride it more, you'll soon form an honest opinion about the bike.

·
Registered
266 Posts
FstA5fcuk above is right, big V twins will never be smooth and seem snatchy compared to 4 cylinder stuff (why I like ' em) but a remap made the on off throttle transition much better. Track Electronic are a couple of miles east of Norwich and hes a very nice chap google is your friend....
Co incidentally my 650 Versus shopping bike has got shit throttle pick up as well - small twins seem no better - thanks emission regs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks FstA5fcuk & Stevie, I'm not going back to a flat 4, I like my RC8 & really enjoyed my 690 Duke. I just get the feeling I'm running a touch lean on the lower rev's, I've checked for slack in the throttle cable & don't really want to go down the "add on plug ins". I'm going to get another 500 miles or so, under my belt then see about getting my mapping checked out. Thanks for all your suggestions folks! Really appreciate you sharing your idea's and solutions :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
NP :) And a custom map will be money well spent if you decide to get it done at some point.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Much if not all of the above comments are valid & correct....but like much machinery nowadays, whether its a lathe, laptop or a Motorbike, there is no substitute for experience
!
I have no wish to sound flippant but get on the thing, ride it until you are completely fed up of riding it and then ride some more!!!...You will learn to adapt and you will find you will become more at one with the bike and subsequently a better rider for it.

Go on, get yer helmut on!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Much if not all of the above comments are valid & correct....but like much machinery nowadays, whether its a lathe, laptop or a Motorbike, there is no substitute for experience
!
I have no wish to sound flippant but get on the thing, ride it until you are completely fed up of riding it and then ride some more!!!...You will learn to adapt and you will find you will become more at one with the bike and subsequently a better rider for it.

Go on, get yer helmut on!
Very true. I rode mine to Spain and back while it was stock. Then I got a JCE and akra map. Then after a while I got a PCV, custom map and QS. Then rode around europe. Then got an akra pipe and updated map. Now its frickin awesome. I think If I would do anything else it would be suspension.

·
Registered
188 Posts
On my 2nd Rc8 now after two years, done all the bits and bobs last year SAS off, O2 off, bigger sprocket on the rear, Throttle and it helped bucket loads think the SAS off was the biggest difference to me. That being said i am booked in with Track Electronics at the end of the month for this year playtime :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts