KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since selling the previous 690 i had some regrets. I bonded really well with that bike, we got along brilliantly and despite some quirks i felt it was absolutely spot on for me.

But then i jumped ship as the KTM 990 SuperdukeR which had been on my bucket list came up at a price and time that suited me. However that didn't quite work out and somehow i ended up with a 790.

Whenever i'd ridden the 790 i felt it was too close between the seat and pegs, certainly compared to the 690s that came before it. But i decided to go for it anyway and really enjoyed the bike, doing a trip round Wales with the boys and a recent trackday at Pembrey with the forum.

However, i never really bonded or gelled with the 790, i never really fell in love with it as a bike, sure it was good, effective, the electronics were great etc, but still it left me feeling a bit 'meh' at times and a sense of excitement never appeared for me. Admittedly the Quickshifter is excellent, so is the noise of the exhaust, but i dunno, i was never quite 'there'

The final stumbling block was the comfort side which seems to have been giving my knees a bit of trouble. Combined with a higher number of miles than usual i was feeling tweaks day to day. That was the final and sealing nail in the coffin for the 790.

So i spent yesterday disucssing with myself and I had 3 options.

1. KTM 690 SMC-R Brand new. 2019-05-03_09-30-45 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
The plus sides being : Brand new bike. Quickshifter+ and all the gizmos. It looks absolutely brilliant.
Downsides : It's £9000+ and the riding position i think would take a bit of getting used to, i didn't quite fall in love with it on the test rides.

2. KTM 690 DukeR.

This was almost the game changer, with the Monoblock caliper, the higher level of suspension along with Akra exhaust etc. But the downside being things like the footpeg position being too cramped along with my knee issues maybe causing issue, when i had the R footrests on my old 690 i didn't get on with them. Plus, i really wanted 'new' as this is likely to be probably my final bike purchase.

3. New 2018 690 base model. s-l1600 (1) by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
KTM are knocking these out for £2500 off RRP at £5799 with this particular dealer. Along with a very good trade in on the 790 i was sold. The brand new and 2 years warranty along with being the right ergonomics and i was sold. So the deal was struck and the new bike is arriving in a couple of days time. Well, early next week when i go to collect it that is. Just got to wait for it to go through the workshop.

I'm really looking forward to it, getting back on it and thrapping the 690 again. I always feel more at home on a bike i can feel like i'm making it work and try, rather than a bike i feel would be sitting under me and getting completely bored due to my ability. The 690 always suited my riding, my wants and my needs etc, so this can only be a good thing.

Bring on the orange !

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I can't believe you're already chopping in the 790 but I'm also not surprised.

TBH I never really liked the 790 Duke. I really can't put my finger on it but it just looks sort of cheap & compromised. It looks like it's from one of the big Jap 4 and not from the KTM brand.
My overall impression of the 790 Duke was that is was too small, or too low, or both.

But then I also thought the CB1000r was too small and that the 990 SD fitted me better.

So what's all the talk of this being the "last bike purchase" then, you thinking of dying soon?
There's plenty of 2019 left, probably time for another couple of bikes yet.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i thought "Is this all just rose tinted glasses with the 690, will it end up being a disappointment?"

There's only 1 way to answer that.... So a lunch-break scoot up to Premier Bikes in Abingdon was on the agenda for today.

2019-07-18_02-35-25 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

20 minutes later out on the back roads and i absolutely LOVE the thing. There's just no downside to it, nothing i don't like about it.

I have completely forgotten how to change gear without a QS though... I came into 1 turn and thought "oooooh how do i change down again?" but we will get that back pretty quickly.

The 690 just flicks, turns and changes direction like a dream, the power is excellent and the riding position is spot-on.

Couldn't be happier.... Just got to wait for it to be ready now !

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what's all the talk of this being the "last bike purchase" then, you thinking of dying soon?
There's plenty of 2019 left, probably time for another couple of bikes yet.
Nah, but with changes in life, society, roads etc. Added to the fact i plan on keeping this mother F***r as long as possible, i'm not thinking about another bike at all.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
............Added to the fact i plan on keeping this mother F***r as long as possible, i'm not thinking about another bike at all.
Fucking hilarious

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
you traded in a 790 for what ??? going loco down in Acapulco :)I am sorry but when I got given one whilst my SMR was being serviced , under whelmed was an understatement , it was like riding a scooter . hmmmmm . I'm in shock

·
Administrator
8,416 Posts
The 1290 SDR is the only way to go. Theres no chance of being underwhelmed on one of those :rotflmao:

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 1290 SDR is the only way to go. Theres no chance of being underwhelmed on one of those :rotflmao:
I truely can't comprehend the 'why' of a big bike. I've ridden plenty, owned dozens, from 750s, to 1000s, from twins with 150bhp to IL4's with 165+, Tuonos to Superdukes... I just don't get why you want that sort of power in the real world. You only have to watch some of the vids of blokey who's name escapes me on the 690SMC destroying everyone else with 65ish bhp. The little bikes make you work, make you think, make you try and hold your corner speed, sure, you have to be a decent rider to stay with the fast guys, but having a 1290 just means when you're shit at corners you can make it up on the straight bits.... Wooo that's exciting, open it up, hang on.... let of... get fucked in the next corner.... then open it again to catch up.

I like feeling i'm working, both the bike, the gearbox and myself. The 690 for me gives all of that in spades.

We're already in discussions about going back to Germany next year... My bike will have 1/3 of the bhp of some of the bikes going... I really don't care :)

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I get the small engine thing, thrashing it, making it work etc.

But sometimes it’s nice to get your skirt blown up too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,416 Posts
I truely can't comprehend the 'why' of a big bike. I've ridden plenty, owned dozens, from 750s, to 1000s, from twins with 150bhp to IL4's with 165+, Tuonos to Superdukes... I just don't get why you want that sort of power in the real world. You only have to watch some of the vids of blokey who's name escapes me on the 690SMC destroying everyone else with 65ish bhp. The little bikes make you work, make you think, make you try and hold your corner speed, sure, you have to be a decent rider to stay with the fast guys, but having a 1290 just means when you're shit at corners you can make it up on the straight bits.... Wooo that's exciting, open it up, hang on.... let of... get fucked in the next corner.... then open it again to catch up.

I like feeling i'm working, both the bike, the gearbox and myself. The 690 for me gives all of that in spades.

We're already in discussions about going back to Germany next year... My bike will have 1/3 of the bhp of some of the bikes going... I really don't care :)
Each to their own. One thing for sure is that the components on the bigger more expensive bikes gets better than the low and mid range bikes. When I had a 790 as a loaner I immediately noticed the drop in quality, that's a biggy for me. I wanted those M50's and the adjustable suspension etc. Its not just about the power although that is intoxicating too.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Each to their own. One thing for sure is that the components on the bigger more expensive bikes gets better than the low and mid range bikes. When I had a 790 as a loaner I immediately noticed the drop in quality, that's a biggy for me. I wanted those M50's and the adjustable suspension etc. Its not just about the power although that is intoxicating too.
Having seen mates in 'fast' be happy on both my 690 and 790 holding their own i'm happy that anything like that is 99% in peoples heads. Sure, having the expensive bits is great, but far from essential

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Is this the bit where I sing the praises of the STR 765RS?
Best of both worlds :scooter:

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is this the bit where I sing the praises of the STR 765RS?
Best of both worlds :scooter:
Its just a 790 in slightly different clothes IMO, engine, power, ergonomics etc. Not much interest to me.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts