KTM Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Do you ever wonder how long the 690 will last ?
Hmmm. Tricky one. I don't honestly see it being a 50,000 bike, but I'm not a 50,000 a year rider either.
There's no reason it couldn't last 50k but the question is how much work would be needed to get it there. Top end refresh maybe...

50k has been done by several owners of DRZ400's, in fact I think the records stands at something like 100,000 miles on a stock un-opend engine.
..and 50K miles is not even worth mentioning in the KLR650 crowd.:D

Most would give the engine a new cam chain at 40-50K miles as insurance. Other than that it's just regular servicing, as long as the bike hasn't be tracked every other weekend it should be fine.
Resale value though... nope...

I was looking at Fireblades the other day and saw one with just over 30,000 miles on it and thought nope.. too high.. yet my hornet had 24k on it and my SD is at about 19k now.
It is strange how we view the mileage on bikes, but the market is what it is.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
If I get mine to 50k, the odds are I'll have owned it for 40 years.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
There’s more chance of Flynn getting a jump
Well the point mostly was, it lasting 50k isn't an issue for me. If I do 1500 miles next year on it I'll be impressed. I'd expect closer to 1000 is more likely.

I'll cycle the best part of 10x more than I motorbike.

·
Registered
320 Posts
We went to Germany around Cochem and the Ring area, I was pinned everywhere! Bang bang bang though the box both up and down, headshakes, lacking the rear, minor death weave, just brilliant.
Sure the other lads had an easier time out there but I don't think anyone has more fun than me.
A lot of my fun was watching you ragging the tits off it and it shimmying up the road :rotflmao:

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Well the point mostly was, it lasting 50k isn't an issue for me. If I do 1500 miles next year on it I'll be impressed. I'd expect closer to 1000 is more likely.

I'll cycle the best part of 10x more than I motorbike.
you'll cycle 10 thousand fookin miles next year ??? REALLY ? wow my brother cycles a lot but not that much , that is impressive mate

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
you'll cycle 10 thousand fookin miles next year ??? REALLY ? wow my brother cycles a lot but not that much , that is impressive mate
That's the plan. This year wasn't as good as I'd like so I'm on about 9500km for the year, but next year I'm training for some longer events so hope to increase it.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
The roads were dry, the sun even came out a few times, I finished the tip run, viewed a potential new car and finished stripping the boys bedroom so everything was completed for the days tasks, can't cycle due to a bit of lurgy.

So only one thing left to do

2019-12-29_01-23-28 by Steve Weeks - Flickr2BBcode
H8216, [email protected] mm, f2.0, 1/250s, ISO40

Bike hadn't been touched for nearly 2 months, so wasn't sure if the battery would play, but I should never doubt the mighty KTM. It fired up on the first press and after 5 mins of a check over and a bit of air in the tyres, off we went.

As always, I've had a few winter doubts about bikes in general and even a little dabble in my head about a 1090 adv as it arguably suits most of my riding as well as the 690, if not more.
But jumping on the 690 quickly brings back why I sold the 790 to buy it, everything is just excellent on it. I don't want more power, don't need more power and still love the way it rides. Onto the first straight bit, braaaap, braaaap, braaaap through the box, into the twisty bit and there never anything but 100% confidence in the bike.

I only did about 25 miles as I'd forgotten my wallets and the fuel was shouting alert alert at me, but damn I enjoyed myself

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Got mine out for a quick spin and took it down to Port Wenn, well Port Isaac! dug out the SMC thought I would need the defibrillator as its been in the back of the garage for three mouths but started, and cleaned my 990 as it went down a few muddy lanes yesterday. Like to know how loud your duke is when you fit the new decat pipe, will you need to remap?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Got mine out for a quick spin and took it down to Port Wenn, well Port Isaac! dug out the SMC thought I would need the defibrillator as its been in the back of the garage for three mouths but started, and cleaned my 990 as it went down a few muddy lanes yesterday. Like to know how loud your duke is when you fit the new decat pipe, will you need to remap?
There's the $64,000 question isn't it. Loads of people fit decat and it's fine, some have running/stalling issues.

Tbh I'm sitting here mostly thinking "why the fuck bother"
Weight doesn't matter in grand scheme of things, looks of the Cat I'm ok with it and I bet even with the stock can it's stupid loud.
The more I think about it, the more I see the decat being stuck on eBay for a £5 loss lol.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I forgot to mention earlier too as I'd actually forgotten I'd fitted the Wilbers and not actually ridden it yet until today.

There was a lot less movement into and mid corner from the back end, you could often feel a bit of back end weave as the weight moves and changes as you shift position or come off the brakes and tip in.
Either I was going a lot slower today or I wasn't braking or moving, or it was just a chunk better.
But I'm more than happy

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If I could just have one up grade it would be carbon wheels, but if any think me being a light weight the bike would be more skittish and less planted, I am more confident on my smc so only time will tell how well I will get on with the duke when I get to ride it in anger, think if I feel the need to change the suspension I would do a trade in for the new smc.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
If I could just have one up grade it would be carbon wheels, but if any think me being a light weight the bike would be more skittish and less planted, I am more confident on my smc so only time will tell how well I will get on with the duke when I get to ride it in anger, think if I feel the need to change the suspension I would do a trade in for the new smc.
There’s the choice I can’t make , duke or Smc same wieght same power , i too feel more confident on a supermoto on the back roads , but duke is more comfy , better at speed and on faster bends I think . Would use the Smc More in the winter .
Just trying to justify a husky 701 I’ve seen locally for sale really .

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
There’s the choice I can’t make , duke or Smc same wieght same power , i too feel more confident on a supermoto on the back roads , but duke is more comfy , better at speed and on faster bends I think . Would use the Smc More in the winter .
Just trying to justify a husky 701 I’ve seen locally for sale really .
I've had the exact same debate time and time again.

The smcr looks more what I want in a bike, but things like the swingarm, the clocks, the seat and the riding position all tell me not when I ride it.
Every time I go to Premier Bikes I get them to give me the keys to it, thinking to myself that this will be the day I finally find the love and jump on a deal, but somehow I always prefer the Duke. They're so so underrated by people and it bemuses me as to how.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I've had the exact same debate time and time again.

The smcr looks more what I want in a bike, but things like the swingarm, the clocks, the seat and the riding position all tell me not when I ride it.
Every time I go to Premier Bikes I get them to give me the keys to it, thinking to myself that this will be the day I finally find the love and jump on a deal, but somehow I always prefer the Duke. They're so so underrated by people and it bemuses me as to how.
I guess that’s why they have stopped making them , I think people don’t believe a single can be so good . I remember the 690 tested against other jap twins and I couldn’t understand why it was there , I refused to believe then it would even keep up with a 650 Kawasaki etc ,that was before I rode one . then I guess there’s the guy who has to have the biggest bike for bragging rights at the pub .
It’s a niche bike for sure , every time I’ve thought right let’s get another one , I end up sitting on a Ducati 939 Hypermotard and thinking it’s not much bigger , maybe that’s better for a fat bloke , then I see how cheap and small a yam MT-09 is and the whole circle starts again
I’ve decided it’s seasonal , the Smc is going to get used in the winter on back lanes muddy roads etc , where it’s often good to stand up on the pegs , I might not be so inclined to do that on the others mentioned here And right now it’s winter and iam riding my old ccm 644 everywhere whatever the weather .

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I guess that’s why they have stopped making them , I think people don’t believe a single can be so good . I remember the 690 tested against other jap twins and I couldn’t understand why it was there , I refused to believe then it would even keep up with a 650 Kawasaki etc ,that was before I rode one . then I guess there’s the guy who has to have the biggest bike for bragging rights at the pub .
It’s a niche bike for sure , every time I’ve thought right let’s get another one , I end up sitting on a Ducati 939 Hypermotard and thinking it’s not much bigger , maybe that’s better for a fat bloke , then I see how cheap and small a yam MT-09 is and the whole circle starts again
I’ve decided it’s seasonal , the Smc is going to get used in the winter on back lanes muddy roads etc , where it’s often good to stand up on the pegs , I might not be so inclined to do that on the others mentioned here And right now it’s winter and iam riding my old ccm 644 everywhere whatever the weather .
Things like the 939, the MT-09 etc are too big and cumbersome for me, don't get me wrong, i'm 6'0 and the best part of 15st, so not small, but i like light bikes it seems. I rode an MT-09 at doninigton GP and whilst it had a quicker top end down the straight by 10-12mph but overall i felt the 690 handled better and was loads more fun.
I'll admit, i've not ridden the Hyper though, neither on the road or on the track.

The MT-10 was one of them weird bikes that i thought was exceptional on the road, just astounding but on track, i was left feeling a bit 'meh' but i think this is often down to my lack of ability to open bikes up hard with lots of power, i just can't do it, especially when they belong to a mate of course.

Bragging rights, i simply don't care, my mates have all accepted i'm a 690 guy and out of the 4 who've ridden one of them on track we've got 2 who loved it, 1 who thought it was good and 1 who wanted to set it on fire after 2 corners... I'm OK with that :)

There's only 1 other bike that's recent that i've ridden and loved on the road, the 1290SDR, but i think i'd find it intimidating on track, just a LOT of power... Which is weird because i've played with several 1290SDRs on track ridden by guys who are decent enough and kicked their arses over a session, which for me is where it is all about.

On the road though, the outright grunt of a 1290 would destroy the 690 of course, i get that and accept it... but again, it's all part of the fun for me.

I don't do the dirt though, after a 30 mins ride yesterday i had a 45 mins clean :)

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Things like the 939, the MT-09 etc are too big and cumbersome for me, don't get me wrong, i'm 6'0 and the best part of 15st, so not small, but i like light bikes it seems. I rode an MT-09 at doninigton GP and whilst it had a quicker top end down the straight by 10-12mph but overall i felt the 690 handled better and was loads more fun.
I'll admit, i've not ridden the Hyper though, neither on the road or on the track.

The MT-10 was one of them weird bikes that i thought was exceptional on the road, just astounding but on track, i was left feeling a bit 'meh' but i think this is often down to my lack of ability to open bikes up hard with lots of power, i just can't do it, especially when they belong to a mate of course.

Bragging rights, i simply don't care, my mates have all accepted i'm a 690 guy and out of the 4 who've ridden one of them on track we've got 2 who loved it, 1 who thought it was good and 1 who wanted to set it on fire after 2 corners... I'm OK with that :)

There's only 1 other bike that's recent that i've ridden and loved on the road, the 1290SDR, but i think i'd find it intimidating on track, just a LOT of power... Which is weird because i've played with several 1290SDRs on track ridden by guys who are decent enough and kicked their arses over a session, which for me is where it is all about.

On the road though, the outright grunt of a 1290 would destroy the 690 of course, i get that and accept it... but again, it's all part of the fun for me.

I don't do the dirt though, after a 30 mins ride yesterday i had a 45 mins clean :)
Now there is the error of your ways , the 45 min clean can’t usually be avoided this time of year , you can work on your times though , I found a better pressure washer has helped there , with a wind up pipe to improve start times . However the 30 min ride is poor , you can have a 6 hr ride and still only need a 45,in clean ��

On a serious note I get what you mean about liking light bikes , I would also add to that compact bikes , I’ve seen so many bikes that look great in pictures, that I add to my list to try , then when I get to sit on them they are huge . BMW’s all of them fit that bill except the s1000r I thought a 800gs would be a go I’d winter tool , it’s a monster , makes a 990 adventure feel small In fact except for ktm 990 and 790 all the big trailies feel like monsters to sit on , I get they need to be tall but the width and bulk is just nuts , the Ducati 812/939 is just soo compact you almost think your sitting on a 690 Smc

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
The 939 SP is a great bike, but it’s not as good as my 950 SMR, it’s much more focused the Ducati which is good in some respects but I find the 950 to be a much less hectic ride, it’s effortless and with the smaller narrower tank avd stiffer suspension than a standard SM it’s just amazing. It’s the last of the big motors with zero rider aids

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
I didn’t like the 690 Duke when I had a go on it, it was a blinged up R, Akra, decat etc. It felt great handling wise but the power to weight wasn’t right, felt like it needed 20 horses on it where’s the SMC doesn’t as it’s just a big dirt bike and not road focused at all.

I’ll always say it that when I had a go on a Tuono V4 it ruined middleweight road bikes for me, everything I got on between 70-120hp and 150-180kg after that felt underwhelming

61 - 80 of 132 Posts