KTM Owners Forum banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Lockdown does funny things to people. For instance, l have decided that 4t dirtbikes are the future as opposed to 2t ones, but l havent changed my sexuality. Strange times.
Which was the strange bit, me ordering a 790 or me keeping the 690 :)

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
When I tested the 790 I rode it on a local twisty road , then rode the same road right after on my gsxs1000 Suzuki . The bigger bike with more power was better on most of the 70mph plus bends , so I guess that’s why the 690 was better for me as a second bike it excels on the tight roads where a litre bike is too much . Now got the 701 husky and enjoying that even more on the back roads , but unlike the 690 duke it’s not as good a distance machine .

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
When I tested the 790 I rode it on a local twisty road , then rode the same road right after on my gsxs1000 Suzuki . The bigger bike with more power was better on most of the 70mph plus bends , so I guess that’s why the 690 was better for me as a second bike it excels on the tight roads where a litre bike is too much . Now got the 701 husky and enjoying that even more on the back roads , but unlike the 690 duke it’s not as good a distance machine .
I didn't go down the 701 but almost went down the 690SMCR but kinda missed the boat on the reduced cost ones, so would have had to pay £9000, which wasn't happening in my world. But the real world of the 690 Duke also made more sense, a couple of years ago we went to Germany/Belgium/France and i took the 690 duke, i had similar thoughts for this/next year too and an SMC-R just wouldn't be friendly on the trip. Add to the fact i couldn't quite get used to the riding position on it, it just felt too 'tall' when riding, like the center of gravity was sitting too high to be correct.

I don't need a 2nd bike, well, i have a ZX6R should i need that anyway, but i don't really like big power bikes, they don't do anything for me at all. Even on trackdays i prefer being slow on a 690 than being slow on a faster bike.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Yeah yeah.

Well,

I've sat here and sat here and even discussed it in depth with a few other lunatics we all know and I said

"When I had a 790 I tested a 690 and went straight home and bought the 690"

So I've pulled the plug on the 790 purchase and the 690 stays.

I'm not sure anyone cares enough to abuse me, but if you do, go for it.

Thread closed
Massive

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
minor change today. Dropped the gear selector lever 1 down on the spline, just to see how it feels really, sometimes i feel it's a tiny bit too high, but the increments are quite large, 1 tooth may well be more than i ideally want.

2020-05-18_09-24-42 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

2020-05-18_09-24-32 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Well that was a complete and utter success really.

Gear changes with the lever 2 clicks down from standard (1 down from where i had it) are so so much nicer from 4>5 and 5>6. If you don't recall there's something to do with the dogs being 270deg between them 2 gear changes and 180deg between 1>4. This does mean that sometimes 4>5 and 5>6 can feel a bit sloppy and you get the odd false neutral along with not being certain it's 100% engaged at times. It's not a massive thing, but dropping the shifter lever down 1 tooth on the spline really does sort it out. Smooth changes in them gears now, but also a really positive feeling so you know you're in there.

The bar end mirror... well that went better than i expected. Usually like most people i've mounted it on the throttle side, this is obviously for changing lanes onto dual carriageways/motorways, but in reality i can't recall the last time i went down either of them, so it's more for seeing what's behind me in a village when i slow etc, so i went for the clutch side instead. It worked really well and didn't get in the way at all. It's small and a little weird in colour from the anti-glare coating, but still, works damn well for what it is. Due to the incorrect fitting sizes i've had to kind of fit it with a few spares and i'm not completely 100% with it, but it's still solid, no wobbles from the mounts or the mirror and apart from a bit of vibration at higher speeds, it just works.
Looks wise, well, i'm not 100% but i'm close enough that i'm happy, it's a lot nicer than the massive standard mirrors for me.

2020-05-20_09-47-30 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

2020-05-20_09-47-40 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

2020-05-20_09-47-49 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

2020-05-20_09-47-57 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

2020-04-22_12-59-35 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

121 - 132 of 132 Posts