KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys tell me if these sound normal for a new 690 smcr

• Buzzing from the front brake. Harder you pull it, the louder the buzzing. Release brake and it continue to buzz, but starts to fade.
  • Turn ignition on, but don't start bike, and a sound like the fuel pump priming starts...and stays running until you start the bike
  • TC Switch seems intermittent. Hold for 5 seconds, and fuck all. Sometimes it works, stationary or moving.
It's been doing it since I rolled off the forecourt. It's going in for it's 650 mile service at the end of the month, so I'll have them take a look if if it's out of the ordinary

·
Registered
513 Posts
Brake Buzz I'd say normal - The brakes "run in". Difficult to use them really aggressively this time of year (in the UK at least !). Mine still does it a bit even on a second set of new pads.

Fuel pump running is fine - it has to pressurize the fuel rail to start the engine, you just dont hear it once the motor is running.

TC switch - not sure. All my 690's have been pre 2016

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
On my 690 the pump stopped priming after about 4 seconds...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what I've found with any vehicle and the fuel pump priming. Initial few seconds, then it stops. I've heard that many 690's had fuel pump issues.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Thats what I've found with any vehicle and the fuel pump priming. Initial few seconds, then it stops. I've heard that many 690's had fuel pump issues.
Mine was either a 2012 or 2013 SMC and I am pretty sure the pump stopped after a few seconds when I did not hit the starter button. It was the same on my 990SM and both 990 Superdukes I had...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If it's fly by wire it will be throttle stepper motors, turn throttle while ignition is on sound should change pitch. 1290 SDR's are the same ?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it does change pitch, so probably that then. Cheers.
I've booked it in to get the other two looked at and a service.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Yeah it does change pitch, so probably that then. Cheers.
I've booked it in to get the other two looked at and a service.
Would be great if you could let me know what the guys find out when servicing your bike. Especially if it is normal that the pump keeps priming though you don't start the engine. My mate says his didn't stop either but I am 100% sure that mine did. Well, yes his is a newer model than mine was but I don't think that KTM has changed much...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would be great if you could let me know what the guys find out when servicing your bike. Especially if it is normal that the pump keeps priming though you don't start the engine. My mate says his didn't stop either but I am 100% sure that mine did. Well, yes his is a newer model than mine was but I don't think that KTM has changed much...
Just collected it from it's service, and they said the "pump" sound is normal, and is related to the throttle, not the pump. So all good. He showed me another brand new Smcr, and it did exactly the same.
Traction control switch was me doing it wrong.
And the buzzing brakes cleared about a week ago, so no idea what that was.

They lent me a 790, and wow, what an awesome bike, I've really kind of took a liking to them now. Such a smooth bike, and much nicer than the Ducati 696 I had. Got my eye on the 890. They said the 890 is flying out the door (reservations).

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Many thanks Set. Ok, maybe my memory is wrong and the pump kept priming. Plays no role anyway, main thing is your bike is OK now.
Yes, I also like the 790 but at the moment it's out of reach. Friend could test ride it and he said its much better than the new Tenere. I don't know anything about the 890, if it is a stronger 790 it must be great too....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts