KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Colour is the last thing I would be worried about, just look on this forum at the amount if electrical problems people are having with the bigger ktm's especially the keyless ones, at least the dealers are getting them fixed in there usual quick and efficent way:rotflmao:

My crashed bashed and thrashed africa twin is still trouble free, it has been sat for ages unused no trickle charger nothing, put the key in press the starter fires up no issues, Honda quality:p
That's why I've got no intention of parting with my 1190. 30,000 miles in and good for another 100,000 at least. I've thought about an original 1290 SA-T to have the 1290 engine without the electronic bollocks, but they're the colour of a cheap washing machine and I don't need that great bloated fuel tank.

·
Registered
841 Posts
That's why I've got no intention of parting with my 1190. 30,000 miles in and good for another 100,000 at least. I've thought about an original 1290 SA-T to have the 1290 engine without the electronic bollocks, but they're the colour of a cheap washing machine and I don't need that great bloated fuel tank.
+1...50k on the last one and 23k on the current 1190...and also no intention of changing it. Had a moment last summer and hankered after a SDGT for a while, but stopped myself, apologised to my bike, and bought a new (faster) car instead!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Colour is the last thing I would be worried about, just look on this forum at the amount if electrical problems people are having with the bigger ktm's especially the keyless ones, at least the dealers are getting them fixed in there usual quick and efficent way:rotflmao:

My crashed bashed and thrashed africa twin is still trouble free, it has been sat for ages unused no trickle charger nothing, put the key in press the starter fires up no issues, Honda quality:p
Love my Africa Twin as well, popped in to Mounters the other day to be greeted with "You still got that piece of shit then"

The 790 R looks great, sat on one and it feels like a dirt bike, but there still a big lump for adventure riding.

You can be lucky or unlucky with any bike I guess.

·
Registered
924 Posts

My 1290 has done 18,500 trouble free miles other than one key fob being replaced

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Seems a lot of Friday African twins around! I was at a bike shop and sat next to a gent out side well he was having his bike serviced, bored me to death of all the things wrong with the bike since his owner ship, so I was thinking he must of done 30000 odd miles to have such a long list of shit that as happed to his bike, so I asked him, just over 0ne thousand miles for fuck sake, and he was a IAM rider, I had a new Honda Transalp and that had a rusty frame in 12 mouths and my Honda Hornet was the same, but Honda make a very good lawn mower engine.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I must admit I have some paint flaking off the frame in a few places but it has had that many rocks bounce off it I rearlly can not complain, should see the bottom of the Bumot sump guard, looks like someone took an axe to it:D

Oh and the abs light is flashing, I guess a rock wacked a sensor or cable somewhere but believe me that is a result, whoever comes up with these stupid regulations that we need abs should try riding off road, on slightly bumpy desert tracks go for the front brake and the lever will not come back, you have to let go and try again, far from ideal:eek:
I was considering unpluging or snipping the abs cables but was afraid it might put the bike in limp mode, it is fine now do not want it fixing.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

The Honda is so boring most people walk instead, if people rode them they might break more ;-)

Being serious (for a change) next years Honda is joining the gadget club big time, so we will soon see them having a plethora of electrical shit going wrong....

...well, we would if they sell any, who on earth is going to pay fully loaded GS money for a F****g Honda?

Especially when you can have the KTM with all the toys and an extra 60BHP for less money.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Holly shit, I didn't realise they were that expensive. Entry level over £14k..top spec almost £20k!

They wont sell in the UK.
I think Honda are having problems with euro 4 (or whatever level it is now).
Look how expensive the crf450l is, almost 690 enduro money.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
The Honda is so boring most people walk instead, if people rode them they might break more ;-)

Being serious (for a change) next years Honda is joining the gadget club big time, so we will soon see them having a plethora of electrical shit going wrong....

...well, we would if they sell any, who on earth is going to pay fully loaded GS money for a F****g Honda?

Especially when you can have the KTM with all the toys and an extra 60BHP for less money.
Yes seen the new AT certainly not for me. Looks like honda have discovered what actully sells adventure bikes is bling bullshit and gimmicks, I believe it has a lower seat as well so the short arses can also look macho outside the local coffee shop/pub/Macdonalds or where ever the "in" place to hang out is these days complete with full Klim of course.

So tell me what makes the honda "boring" and the ktm not ? The M word ?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Holly shit, I didn't realise they were that expensive. Entry level over £14k..top spec almost £20k!

I think I have only ever seen one crf450l outside of a dealers showroom..I see they have discounted them from the original comedy price but I can't see who they are aimed at with the 24hp

·
Registered
937 Posts
I think I have only ever seen one crf450l outside of a dealers showroom..I see they have discounted them from the original comedy price but I can't see who they are aimed at with the 24hp
Apparently they're now offering an approved "power up kit".
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2020-honda-crf450l/

So the power up kit, which is a new ECU and intake manifold, will boost power into the mid-40s. This costs an extra £772, which on top of the £10,241 (by the time you get on the road), means it's now more expensive than a 690.

Well played Honda..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yes seen the new AT certainly not for me. Looks like honda have discovered what actully sells adventure bikes is bling bullshit and gimmicks, I believe it has a lower seat as well so the short arses can also look macho outside the local coffee shop/pub/Macdonalds or where ever the "in" place to hang out is these days complete with full Klim of course.

So tell me what makes the honda "boring" and the ktm not ? The M word ?
KTM...raw...wack the throttle and hang on for dear life, biggest grin every time you ride, wheelie all over the shop if that's your thing, fucking awesome.

Honda...yawn

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve ridden the crf450l it’s a fucking woeful thing, the fueling for slow stuff is terrible, on the road a crf 250 x is better and offroad it feels heavy, underpowered and keeps stalling.
I’d never get one for greenlaning, the 250 or 450 x is a much better

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
:rolleyes: Have to get them together and you can show me!
Just pop into your local KTM Dealer and take a 1290 out for a spin, you will instantly feel the difference on the first twist of the throttle.

The beauty of the KTM is it will crawl along as well as an Africe Twin (or any other under-powered motorcycle) and has a really linear power delivery / throttle response so you can dial in as much or as little power as you want - but I find I tend to want all the torque, rarely rev it out (don't need to as it puts out AT Power at just above tickover and weighs less)

As for the CRF450, what a cock up! There are some right idiots at Honda, if the CRF had a 15,000 mile service interval to match its 50BHP / Litre output I could of forgiven it, but it has 50% more capacity than my FE350, makes half the power and still needs a service every other ride....

...Even a 15 year old DRZ400S makes 50% more power and they last forever with normal service intervals.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Apparently they're now offering an approved "power up kit".
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2020-honda-crf450l/

So the power up kit, which is a new ECU and intake manifold, will boost power into the mid-40s. This costs an extra £772, which on top of the £10,241 (by the time you get on the road), means it's now more expensive than a 690.

Well played Honda..... :rolleyes:
Mate has one, it's a decent machine, works well, goes well, power is on par with another mates 350 2T KTM..... His has the power up kit which was free from Honda.

He does however want to sell it now and is facing a £3000 loss .... ouch.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

Euro 5 as of 2020.

As we'll be out of the EU by the end of next year (?), someone should buy up the Vincent name and start making 200 bhp British V-twins with no cats, no baffles, no electronic aids and a legal waiver sticker on the tank: "Warning - this bike is not for gays. If you're a cunt who can't ride you will be killed and it'll be fuck all to do with us. Enjoy". They'd sell loads.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts