KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I'm in the process of looking for a newer bike to buy. I am really struggling with so many choices at the moment. Any advice in helping me choose would be great.

I have a 7k budget.
Looking for the bike to be able to do a mixture of motocross and enduro but if being honest probably more enduro.
I'm 6ft 4" and 210lbs so a taller bike would be better.
I'm undecided on a 2 or 4 stroke. previous bikes have all been 2 stroke but had a few shots of a family members 350 sxf and actually liked it also.

I'm open to other brands of bikes also other than ktm.

Any advice on helping me make a decision ?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Yamaha 250f. It’ll do everything. Decent suspension. Tunable. Trusted engineering. In budget. Only draw back is the daft sound.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
what are your opinions on a sxf 450 2019 model and a yz450f similar year ? I'm pretty sure their is a shop near to me with a brand new yz450f 2019 model for 6995.
I've always wanted a new bike if I'm honest.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
what are your opinions on a sxf 450 2019 model and a yz450f similar year ? I'm pretty sure their is a shop near to me with a brand new yz450f 2019 model for 6995.
I've always wanted a new bike if I'm honest.
I'd stay away from them for enduro if I were you but if you're mostly doing Mx then fair enough. Also, I'd steer towards a 350 myself, if you feel you're too big for a 250f.

New bikes are very nice for about 5 hours and then they may as well be second hand. I only buy new but that's just because I keep them and I want to know what's happened to it.

For 7k you could pick up a very nice 350 exc or wr250f. Or if you really must go Motocross then a 350 sxf would be a good bet.

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Nobody is “to big” for a 250f. Same as a 125. It’s all in your head. If this was true then any big lad would be as fast as the machine can go. This is never the case. Move up a machine size when you can ride the one below it to a high standard. Otherwise you get that 300 2t/450 4t thing where they get stuck, spin it up. Go nowhere and struggle. Never learn decent technique. That being said I’d take the yam 450f over anything mentioned after a yam 250f.

Reactions: PaddyM

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd stay away from them for enduro if I were you but if you're mostly doing Mx then fair enough. Also, I'd steer towards a 350 myself, if you feel you're too big for a 250f.

New bikes are very nice for about 5 hours and then they may as well be second hand. I only buy knew but that's just because I keep them and I want to know what's happened to it.

For 7k you could pick up a very nice 350 exc or wr250f. Or if you really must go Motocross then a 350 sxf would be a good bet.

I'm very tempted by the 350 exc now after looking at them 🤔

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
RSS Suspension did a grand job on my FE 350 - @ £500 to rework forks (adding extra adjuster) and the shock, converting to bladder.

Not that anyone really should need to splash £500 on top of a premium "Ready to race" bike, I was not as bothered as mine had @70 hours on it and would of needed a good service anyway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've narrowed down my list now and concentrating on a 350 exc. They seem to do a bit of everything and look exactly what I want. It doesn't have to be a brand new bike but would be nice. I intend to keep this bike for a long time so if not new then need to find a very clean example even if slightly older bike.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
If you want a bike built on hype that needs re engineering, over priced and get ignored/fobbed off when you have problems get a ktmvanagas.
if you want a bike that does exactly what it says on the tin out of the box and if you do have any problems be looked after get a yamaha or beta.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts