KTM Owners Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Ktm never supplied a skid plate with the bike. I think the factory edition comes with one.
The"SixDays" models should have it ex factory.

They do take the piss.. but now I've got a Beta, I'm starting to see how KTM get away with it. I've caught myself saying many times already that the KTM is better built, has a FAR better dealer network, and I hate to say it but it turns out Beta's legendary warranty service is a lie. I don't think I'll be going back to KTM soon but the grass is not always greener. I'm back in love with my bashed up 2014 300 EXC with 265 hours and more bent bits that you can count - I was going to get a Beta 300 Racing to replace it, but instead I'm just getting hold of some 2nd hand cone valves and seeing how long I can make it last.
Al, that does not make me happy. I had planned to get a Beta 300 RR (maybe Race Edition) next year as my "retirement bike". Probably the last one till I quit. When I worked on one (21 model 300rr) I did not have the impression that it is way behind KTM. The dealer network is a pain though. But it is still better than what I have now with my (genuine) GasGas. So I am used to that kind problems. Any other problems, especially technically or quality wise?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
They do take the piss.. but now I've got a Beta, I'm starting to see how KTM get away with it. I've caught myself saying many times already that the KTM is better built, has a FAR better dealer network, and I hate to say it but it turns out Beta's legendary warranty service is a lie. I don't think I'll be going back to KTM soon but the grass is not always greener. I'm back in love with my bashed up 2014 300 EXC with 265 hours and more bent bits that you can count - I was going to get a Beta 300 Racing to replace it, but instead I'm just getting hold of some 2nd hand cone valves and seeing how long I can make it last.
I had a 2018 350rr and it had a problem at 900 miles which beta covered and the 800 miles later I had the same problem which they were adamant was not the same problem...after much sodding around and taking it to a dealer to be diagnosed they agreed it was the same fault but wouldn't cover it so I fixed it and sold it... won't have another 4 stroke beta

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Spill the beanz Al ......
Was it the dealer or Lampkins the importer that refused the warranty work?
Can't say now as it's still being discussed. It's not a major mechanical issue but it is something I feel should be sorted out.

I'm not convinced the dealer has even spoken to Beta UK but Beta UK told me to deal with the dealer.

From a build quality perspective, it's not that the beta is bad, but the components are clearly cheaper and lower quality than I'm used to with KTM. It doesn't mean they aren't fit for purpose though.

My experience has been that the whole process from trying to buy a bike through to getting it, and then trying to get some parts, and then trying to get an issue sorted has just been painful. Not that it's ever been much easier with KTM but I was lead to believe that Beta were second to none in the customer service department.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Can't say now as it's still being discussed. It's not a major mechanical issue but it is something I feel should be sorted out.

I'm not convinced the dealer has even spoken to Beta UK but Beta UK told me to deal with the dealer.

From a build quality perspective, it's not that the beta is bad, but the components are clearly cheaper and lower quality than I'm used to with KTM. It doesn't mean they aren't fit for purpose though.

My experience has been that the whole process from trying to buy a bike through to getting it, and then trying to get some parts, and then trying to get an issue sorted has just been painful. Not that it's ever been much easier with KTM but I was lead to believe that Beta were second to none in the customer service department.
"Can't say now as it's still being discussed." You can and should say if you are slagging them off you should give a reason, you are coming across as a whinging tart.
So give us an example of what it "clearly cheaper and lower quality than I'm used to with KTM"

·
Registered
486 Posts
I had a 2018 350rr and it had a problem at 900 miles which beta covered and the 800 miles later I had the same problem which they were adamant was not the same problem...after much sodding around and taking it to a dealer to be diagnosed they agreed it was the same fault but wouldn't cover it so I fixed it and sold it... won't have another 4 stroke beta
What was the problem?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
"Can't say now as it's still being discussed." You can and should say if you are slagging them off you should give a reason, you are coming across as a whinging tart.
So give us an example of what it "clearly cheaper and lower quality than I'm used to with KTM"
No, I can't go shouting about the specifics until it's resolved one way or another. The simple fact is, I have a valid claim and they are not standing up to their own claim of sorting out any issues without question.

In terms of the lower quality... You have one, you know exactly what I'm talking about but for example - all the fasteners and any plastic bit. Like I said, doesn't mean on the whole the bike isn't fit for purpose, just saying that the quality is lower than what I'm used to with KTM. Also doesn't mean I think KTM are perfect. There's plenty I'm very impressed with on the Beta.

And calling me a whinging tart is rich coming from you! 😂🤣😂

·
Registered
297 Posts
I bought a Husky from a dealer a few years that does both them and Beta, and the dealer warned me off Beta saying the quality was no where near as good. That was in 2018.

I phoned up the same dealer yesterday asking about a new Husky, asked the same question, and they said Beta had improved significantly but still was a little behind....but no chance in getting a new 300 for sometime!

·
Registered
10,416 Posts
It’s back to that old thing….all bikes will have issues. The least problematic bike I’ve owned in recent years was my 2016 200 EXC. Zero issues. The 2018 150 xcw cost well over £10k in the end with repairs and replacement bits. With the 2019 husky 150 nothing really went wrong but then I’d learnt a lot from the Xcw so it kept it sweet. Both bikes required suspension though. My beta shat itself at 60 hours but got fixed for free. I’m still very happy with the beta. Plastics are far more durable than ktms in my experience so far. No holes worn in the air box etc from boots. Still on stock suspension to but it has been revalved. People I know with Shercos also having snags but nothing worse than anything else? I don’t know anyone on an Austrian bike locally at the moment as they’ve all jumped. Perhaps we are now in an era where many things are made in places that quality control lacks?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Or mine! or my Beta. Did have a fork seal go on the yam and my mate said the oil was like sludge when he stripped it, its only been in there since the bike was new in 2017, might try to be a winge bag and put a warranty claim in :giggle:
You have to sign an NDA and sign the official secrets act if you make a warranty claim so don’t bother.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I bought a Husky from a dealer a few years that does both them and Beta, and the dealer warned me off Beta saying the quality was no where near as good. That was in 2018.

I phoned up the same dealer yesterday asking about a new Husky, asked the same question, and they said Beta had improved significantly but still was a little behind....but no chance in getting a new 300 for sometime!
No chance of getting a 300 Beta or Husky or either?

41 - 60 of 84 Posts