KTM Owners Forum banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Or mine! or my Beta. Did have a fork seal go on the yam and my mate said the oil was like sludge when he stripped it, its only been in there since the bike was new in 2017, might try to be a winge bag and put a warranty claim in :giggle:
What about this then Lee? Just found another corker which I don't think is acceptable - the thread on the preload adjuster is mullered:

Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Rim Engineering

Again, brand new bike, been ridden once. Does this meet your definition of a warranty issue or is that just whinging?? Of course you don't adjust suspension but in case you don't know, most people consider sag to be quite important to the handling of the bike. This fucked thread means the sag cannot be properly adjusted.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Yeah to be fair I had to use a punch to try to move the adjuster but that was because it was stuck fast. Although I appreciate that it could be blamed on me. However, even with the spring off, you need a c spanner to move it and you can feel where it binds up. And I'm not a monkey with the spanners. The black threaded bit isn't part of the shock body and when I was tapping it, the entire threaded bit was moving around, so the nut wasn't shifting at all.

Just spent the last hour putting the bike back together and this may be whinging but it is not as easy to work on as the KTM. Just little things like interference between the shock and the air intake, and the fasteners being hard to engage and easy to cross thread. Just getting the shock or carb off is a major faff.

It's a shame because I'm sure it will ride exactly how I want but I buy bikes to keep them and I'm not sure if this one is worth living with.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
i personally would persevere with your warranty claim and i do know that the beta warranty is the best around, that part of the shock body( tube) is actually replaceable on the later bikes so if it was really getting into your head you could actually replace just the body although once sag is set its pretty much set for ever. An example of fantastic warranty claim is a lad i know who has had new mains and crank replaced for free on a 2018 bike and that was in 2021!!!!.The bikes are different from KTM but thats all, just different with some parts better and some not so and in my opinion there are no bad bikes out there any more, stick with it and you will love it.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
The warranty claim is actually for something else and they're being prickly about it. I dare say they'll push back about the shock but I'll try.

I know they've been very good about the engine failures but then if they weren't, it would be corporate suicide.

·
Registered
10,416 Posts
Al, don’t forget the X Trainer is much more compact than an RR. No wonder it’s a nightmare to work on. The RR has space about it to make shock, carb and other tweaks easy. Even changing a split T piece in the frame for the coolant system is easy (I ripped a rad off, it split the pipe where it got mashed into the frame hole). A Freeride or any trials bike are also zero fun to work on in my experience.

·
Registered
10,416 Posts
Al, don’t forget the X Trainer is much more compact than an RR. No wonder it’s a nightmare to work on. The RR has space about it to make shock, carb and other tweaks easy. Even changing a split T piece in the frame for the coolant system is easy (I ripped a rad off, it split the pipe where it got mashed into the frame hole). A Freeride or any trials bike are also zero fun to work on in my experience.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
True to some extent. The freeride was fine once you'd removed the tank, which you had to do for everything. My TRS is amazing to work on compared to a beta trials bike. Probably the easiest bike I've worked on. The XT is very tight around the carb and shock.

I've got the bike ready to ride so I'm hoping actually riding it (it's been a pile of pieces for almost the whole time I've owned it) will bring back some love.

That said, I almost wanted to set fire to it today when I spilt petrol all over the bike, myself, and the garage because it's got an impossible to fill black tank.... I mean really.... A black fucking tank... 🤣😂🤣

·
Registered
10,416 Posts
Sounds like you are where I was with my 2018 150 Xcw. Everything that could go wrong did. That bike did turn into a good bike. It just cost over £10k to get there. Shock. Subframe nuts. Plastics. Batteries. Starter motors. Forks. Seat. Bars. Sections of loom. Heads. Carb. Reeds. Throttle and cable. Grips. The dealer did however sort the leaking shock in week one.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts