KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Ive got a new 400 EXC and find the front brake very fierce,it caused an excursion under a hedge yesterday,has anybody else had a similar problem can you get harder pads that dont grab so much

Tony

·
Registered
3 Posts
you'll soon get used to the brake's feel... my 525 is the first bike I've ever managed to off road stoppies with while still being seated!! Shortening your brake lever may give you a little less pressure (you can't pull it so hard). my levers are two fingers long.

·
Registered
347 Posts
They are very good arn,t they! I adjusted the lever so it was closer to my fingers and it seemed to give me more feel and got rid of the problem. It wasn,t the power that caused a problem more the intial bite for me!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hi
Ive got a new 400 EXC and find the front brake very fierce,it caused an excursion under a hedge yesterday,has anybody else had a similar problem can you get harder pads that dont grab so much

Tony
Yep , mine was exactly the same.. try using the adjuster on the lever, it may help the feel on the grip!! I have known people to take the pads out and cut grooves in them... I would`nt do this but I do know some people how swear by it!!

Mind you its nice to have sharp brakes sometimes eh?? even though it can scare you...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yep , mine was exactly the same.. try using the adjuster on the lever, it may help the feel on the grip!! I have known people to take the pads out and cut grooves in them... I would`nt do this but I do know some people how swear by it!!

Mind you its nice to have sharp brakes sometimes eh?? even though it can scare you...
Excellent suggestion!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Its nice to have a `on or off` brake, but its a right git on wet rocks eh??

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
if you think the early brakes are good you want to try the 2010/11 brakes with the new calipers............fook me there good, its caught me out and i'm used to brembo's. I reckon the 2010/11 are nearly as good as the billet sxs ones which are silly money.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
master the cyclinder is the same from 07 till present but the caliper looks tiny compared to the previous models i only noticed the difference because its got a big hole at the back of the caliper to let the shite out

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I mentioned this problem to RedLine who sold me the bike and they sent me a set a DP brake pads {foc} fitting these has cured the problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts