KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just joined the forum. I've done some searching on the forum itself but can't find answers to my questions. I currently ride a Tiger 800XC for commuting and tours and also have a Street Triple R for fun but I'm looking to replace the STR with something more exotic. I've always liked the RC8/R and have test ridden it twice but never got round to buying one. However, looks like I'm getting closer but have some questions for some of you experienced RC8Rers out there (if that's a word)...

1. Are the service intervals 600, then every 6000 miles?
2. Is there a major at 12,000 and what are the likely costs?
3. Is the warranty 2 years from new?
4. How good is the headlight compared to most mainstream sportbikes? I do ride at night!
5. Do the mirrors have a mind of their own and is there a remedy?
6. On my last demo ride I zero'd the trip and then went for a decent run down the M1. Trip was reporting 57-60 mpg in 6th at 80mph. Is that accurate?

Thanks in anticipation and sorry for the questions on a first post. I may have more soon! :)

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Welcome!
They are very reliable bikes if that is the underlying question you are asking. Obviously there are some issues and some bikes have them all and some have only one of the known ones. Good thing is, for everything there is a solution that will not bankrupt you. If you are a little handy, most problems you might encounter will cost you a bit of fiddling and a bit of spare time. To me that is all part of owning a bike. Judging your triumphant nature, this news should not scare you at all :D.

Oh.......i get about 160km on a full tank, but then i ride like a wuzz.

Reactions: Slowstad

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Hello, until I saw the announcement of the new Superduke (later this? year) I was all set to add a Speed Triple to the fold... Maybe still will - one day.

You could always fit an HID kit for the headlight if you find it not good enough, personally I think its fine as is.

I doubt you would ever get such high MPG, mine seems to go through fuel at a fair rate, but I don't go cruising much, despite what some may think ;)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
1.Yes
2.Yes
3.I ordered that extended warranty, you ain't gonna regret that one in 2years from now
4.put a Xenon in it, be sure it aint burns the mirror
5.remove the mirrors and just put one handlebar mirror, it simply is better
6.Yes it consumes fuel, and sometimes more then I want it to do.

Reactions: Frenchy702

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
is it me or do we get quite a few 'Lords' on here?

Its all getting very noble....... few more posts will sort that out :)

welcome!

·
Registered
115 Posts
i remember buying my ktm from craigs motorcycles, im the 3rd owner from new, the mileage was 2500 miles.....i questioned why there has already been 2 owners and he stated the shop bought the bike and registered it for demo use, then they sold it to a guy who then changed his mind a week later and got the 990 latest model...the service was done at the 600 mile and he said he did a small ervice-proving nothing what had been done, thast was done when i bought the bike and guess what the cheeky cunt said to me.its due a service in 200 miles,ermmmm what.... how much is that gunna cost me ..he said £250.id just given him my 2009 r6 which was mint with 7000 miles from new, an rs 125 2 stroke 2007 again mint condition and another £800 in cash to get me to the rc8 value of £6200.i will never EVER go to that place again.a week later my radiator was leaking, i tried a new cap....still leaking...he said right bring it back and itll get fixed under warranty, his answer (radweld) ....the tight arse never even replaced the radiator under warranty but bodged it with that stuff on a 2010 bike.

that day was a nightmare having to ride on motorway after motorway just to get that done- the worst part of that day was i got a blow out half way there and had to be picked up by the recovery guy who took me all the way back to were i had come from (scunthorpe) to get the tyre replaced....it could of got repaired but the guy said it takes 5-6 to set.a was like great. £125 for a bridgestone and carried on my journey.

maybe its just me having one of those days.but from now on every service and repair will be done in my garage, least ill know whats been done and there wont be short cuts taken,plus ill get to see how how the bike comes apart.

sorry for the long rant-thats my story with the rc8.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
i remember buying my ktm from craigs motorcycles, im the 3rd owner from new, the mileage was 2500 miles.....i questioned why there has already been 2 owners and he stated the shop bought the bike and registered it for demo use, then they sold it to a guy who then changed his mind a week later and got the 990 latest model...the service was done at the 600 mile and he said he did a small ervice-proving nothing what had been done, thast was done when i bought the bike and guess what the cheeky cunt said to me.its due a service in 200 miles,ermmmm what.... how much is that gunna cost me ..he said £250.id just given him my 2009 r6 which was mint with 7000 miles from new, an rs 125 2 stroke 2007 again mint condition and another £800 in cash to get me to the rc8 value of £6200.i will never EVER go to that place again.a week later my radiator was leaking, i tried a new cap....still leaking...he said right bring it back and itll get fixed under warranty, his answer (radweld) ....the tight arse never even replaced the radiator under warranty but bodged it with that stuff on a 2010 bike.

that day was a nightmare having to ride on motorway after motorway just to get that done- the worst part of that day was i got a blow out half way there and had to be picked up by the recovery guy who took me all the way back to were i had come from (scunthorpe) to get the tyre replaced....it could of got repaired but the guy said it takes 5-6 to set.a was like great. £125 for a bridgestone and carried on my journey.

maybe its just me having one of those days.but from now on every service and repair will be done in my garage, least ill know whats been done and there wont be short cuts taken,plus ill get to see how how the bike comes apart.

sorry for the long rant-thats my story with the rc8.
Can you run that past us again? :)

I jest ;)

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I did a bike tour with my mates in Germany in 2010. While riding on the Autobahn i had to ditch the group as short on fuel. Trip meter already showed 20 clicks so........i was quite nervous. Off the Autobahn it is a bold gamble if there is any fuel station available. I managed to pull into one just 10 km further up that road. Filled the beast up and headed back to the Autobahn.
Then nailed it, and 20 minutes later i had to stop for fuel again as the light came on. Done about 87 Km by then.........Luckily it was the same fuel station where everybody else was waiting for me.

On Track i use about 10 liters of fuel every 20 minutes, so fuel economy is something i do not care about much.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I did a bike tour with my mates in Germany in 2010. While riding on the Autobahn i had to ditch the group as short on fuel. Trip meter already showed 20 clicks so........i was quite nervous. Off the Autobahn it is a bold gamble if there is any fuel station available. I managed to pull into one just 10 km further up that road. Filled the beast up and headed back to the Autobahn.
Then nailed it, and 20 minutes later i had to stop for fuel again as the light came on. Done about 87 Km by then.........Luckily it was the same fuel station where everybody else was waiting for me.

On Track i use about 10 liters of fuel every 20 minutes, so fuel economy is something i do not care about much.
jesus thats rediculous......!!!!!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi all, just joined the forum. I've done some searching on the forum itself but can't find answers to my questions. I currently ride a Tiger 800XC for commuting and tours and also have a Street Triple R for fun but I'm looking to replace the STR with something more exotic. I've always liked the RC8/R and have test ridden it twice but never got round to buying one. However, looks like I'm getting closer but have some questions for some of you experienced RC8Rers out there (if that's a word)...

1. Are the service intervals 600, then every 6000 miles?
2. Is there a major at 12,000 and what are the likely costs?
3. Is the warranty 2 years from new?
4. How good is the headlight compared to most mainstream sportbikes? I do ride at night!
5. Do the mirrors have a mind of their own and is there a remedy?
6. On my last demo ride I zero'd the trip and then went for a decent run down the M1. Trip was reporting 57-60 mpg in 6th at 80mph. Is that accurate?

Thanks in anticipation and sorry for the questions on a first post. I may have more soon! :)
So question 2. Is there a major at 12,000 and what are the likely costs?

Anyone??? mines due and be interested to see the differences so I know if stealership is stiching me up. Oh and tried to get the extended warranteee,, no joy as not offered anymore.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I spoke to a KTM dealer today about the Akrapovic underslung exhaust and I was told it was £3K, and as soon as they fit it the warranty is invalidated and it makes the bike pretty unrideable at slow speeds in town. Is this true?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.