KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening Gents

Hopefully if all goes to plan this time next week I'll be the proud owner of a KTM 950 SM. Thing is once I've paid for the bike, the security and a new helmet I'm not going to be able to fork out for the rest of the gear I'm going to need, so it's going to be a purchase a week til I've got all I need. I've got a pair of para boots, a decent but non-armoured set of goretex jacket , trousers and gloves.

Just wondered which order I should upgrade my kit? I was thinking boots, jacket, trousers, gloves - would this be the best sequence?

Oh and if any of you can give me some pointers on some half decent budget kit I'd really appreciate it

Cheers

Jamie

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Welcome on board fellah - 950SM - Good call ! :)

Jacket, trousers, gloves, boots is the order I'd choose (after a decent lid)

leather jacket & jeans for the summer
cordura jacket & trousers for the other 40 weeks :D

easy for me to say,
but I always buy top range gear
cheap stuff is never the long-term value you'd think.

on the other hand, be aware some real expensive stuff
your really paying for the brand name :redface:

·
Administrator
10,455 Posts
Welcome and a good choice my friend. Personally I would go for gloves and boots first followed by jacket and trousers. If the budget's tight look on ebay, you will find some great bargains if you look carefully. I bought my first set of leathers for £50,they were a bit tatty but gave me a shit load of protection for the money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the welcome chaps

Dunno if it is such a wise choice for me - haven't been on a bike for 10 years but sod it they're cool as and how many times can you die? :D

Looking at an Airoh lid seem to have a fairly decent rep and gotta be better than my Simpson RX-8. Anywhere around North Hants/Surrey/Heathrow where I can try an Airoh?

Would love to go for top end gear but just can't stretch to it right now so it's budget or second hand for now until I can hit the overtime a bit. I know it's a false economy buying twice but well there ya go :)

Oh and have a Guiness on me Sleepyhollow, I'm on the tea unfortunately

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Cheers for the Guinness dude , and as far as lids go buy the best you can afford , it's your head that's in it .

If your struggling to afford new gear I think HG do a 10 month interest free on all there gear as long as you spend more than £200/£250 I think .

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Para boots are pretty solid and will do for now. Get a good jacket, trousers and gloves first IMO. You need protection and warmth/comfort - in that order.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Welcome from another totally biased person.

Which Airoh are you after as the S4 that I use on my trail bike is useless above 60mph as the wind tries to rip your head off.
What type of lid people use was discussed on here recently-ish and more road riding friendly MX style lids were mentioned (unfortunatley Arai was one, whcih doesn't fit with the inexpensive route).

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Lid&Gloves first. The first thing ya do is put ya hands down when you have an off. If you have leather boots and an ok jacket, then that will be ok in a slow speed, low-side, which are most common,
But if your hands are unprotected, they will be in very bad shape. You can always get away with grazers and cuts on the legs& body, but take damage to ya hands and your in trouble

·
Registered
70 Posts
keep an eye for bike gear in lidls supermarket . they sell it from time to time is amazingly cheap and german made so should be great quality . also is a 100% money back garantee if anything is not up to scratch so keep your receipts safe !also save £ on gloves by getting skiing gloves from lidls too . i did mainly because i did not like their biking gloves

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for all your replies lads

Yeah was an Airoh S4 I was after. Got to admit I was worried about having my head ripped off cos of the peak but thought I read on here that it's not really that much of a problem. Might have to think again...

How gay is it to use a road lid?

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I have a 950sm and use a road lid:eek: AGV Ti-Tech:cool: Hein Gericke have a realy good sale on at the mo. Enjoy the bike(you will) Cup of tea too please:D

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Cheers for all your replies lads

Yeah was an Airoh S4 I was after. Got to admit I was worried about having my head ripped off cos of the peak but thought I read on here that it's not really that much of a problem. Might have to think again...

How gay is it to use a road lid?
I use an Arai road lid and as I can't see myself I can't tell if it's gay or not but part of me thinks it looks a bit wierd riding an SM on the road with an MX style lid.
Having said that, if it's really hot weather I might wear the S4 if i'm just popping into town with no real open roads.

I do find the S4 is all day comfortable though and if you tilt your head slightly sideways the wind pressure drops a bit but then I suspect you look really stupid.
I don't like wearing goggles so use the visor and pair of wrap around (sun)glasses underneath so you can ride with the visor up.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
welcome!
protect the sticky out bits first.. head, hands, feet. take a hit on the quality of trousers and jacket and spend it on a GOOD helmet. I have a tour x but rarely use it in preference for the X7 road lid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts