KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone and thanks for the add! My name's Alex and I've just bought a 2020 EXC 250 TPi Six Day so a very happy camper (even though it hasn't actually arrived yet).

A couple of electrical questions:

1) After reading through the owner's manual pdf I've found this Lithium Ion battery which looks to be the same spec as the stock item but a lot cheaper, has anyone used one of these?. According to Demon Tweeks you can charge Li-Ion batteries using conventional lead-acid battery chargers, is this correct?

2) Although not planning to leave the bike anywhere it worries me that it could be started without a key whilst paying for fuel etc. so I was planning on fitting a simple ignition switch. I've been a motorcycle mechanic in the past and have trade qualifications so the wiring will be no problem as long as I can access a wiring diagram but has anyone done this, or is there a preferred method in the community? I had in mind something of this nature installed neatly somewhere:

Thanks, hope someone can help!

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Welcome to the only forum worth a damn.

Good choice of bike! Have you ridden much before?

Good to have a real mechanic on here too.

I've gone through 2 skyrich batteries. They each only lasted 6 months. The third is doing much better and I put that down to the fact that I rarely if ever charge it. The previous two, I charged the night before every ride. You can get away with a normal so charger as long as it doesn't exceed a certain number of volts (15.5 I think) but it would be better to have a lithium specific one. However, if you're riding regularly, I doubt you'll ever need to charge it.

There is a thread down the page about our resident expert's hidden ignition switch:

Smart ass Kev's magic switch

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
A hidden ignition key is fine but it does not stop someone wheeling your bike away, recently I have started taking the combination padlock that I use to chain my bike up with me when I go green laning, the lock fits nicely in the rear sprocket holes and will cause the chain to jam up if anyone tried to make off with the bike. I know that nothing is fool proof but everything helps. (Until I try to ride off with the lock in place!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A hidden ignition key is fine but it does not stop someone wheeling your bike away, recently I have started taking the combination padlock that I use to chain my bike up with me when I go green laning, the lock fits nicely in the rear sprocket holes and will cause the chain to jam up if anyone tried to make off with the bike. I know that nothing is fool proof but everything helps. (Until I try to ride off with the lock in place!)
Good shout, I already have one of those! Thanks for your response (y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the only forum worth a damn.

Good choice of bike! Have you ridden much before?

Good to have a real mechanic on here too.

I've gone through 2 skyrich batteries. They each only lasted 6 months. The third is doing much better and I put that down to the fact that I rarely if ever charge it. The previous two, I charged the night before every ride. You can get away with a normal so charger as long as it doesn't exceed a certain number of volts (15.5 I think) but it would be better to have a lithium specific one. However, if you're riding regularly, I doubt you'll ever need to charge it.

There is a thread down the page about our resident expert's hidden ignition switch:

Smart ass Kev's magic switch
Cool, will take a look at this thanks! The supplying dealer also offers the fitting of a "secret switch" so I might opt for this during PDI and just take a lock with me when out and about as others have said.

I had a fair few RMs, KXs etc in my youth but walked away from bikes for a long time due to injuries and got quite into cycling. About 3 months ago I bought a French import DTR125 and set about exploring the local byways. It's very capable for what it is but after bottoming the suspension a few times over some fairly average terrain I thought it would be better to have the proper thing so to speak; lots of people try and turn a DT into a YZ250WR and it just isn't possible.

Also I found during the 90s a lot of people used to talk about suspension tuning as if it was a form of black magic, consequently I never used to try and set up motorcycles and just rode them. Since then I've learned a lot about setup changes through mountain biking and RC car racing so looking forward to the challenge of trying to get a modern off-road bike dialled in.

Yes the manual advises the charge voltage shouldn't exceed 14.4v for the stock battery so I should think the Skyrich is similar, nice to know someone has fitted and used one though. Thanks again (y)

·
Premium Member
7,496 Posts
Look at doing the 'capacitor mod' allows you to bump start a tpi bike with a flat battery. Tokyo Racing does a BLS (battery less starter) or you can make your own. The bike won't bump without one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look at doing the 'capacitor mod' allows you to bump start a tpi bike with a flat battery. Tokyo Racing does a BLS (battery less starter) or you can make your own. The bike won't bump without one.
That's worth knowing, thanks! I notice they make two versions, stock and one with a 9v battery connector for more reliable kick starting. Do many owners retrofit the kickstart mechanism and is it expensive? Not received my reg number/VIN yet so I can't look it up

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
With regards to a hidden switch you could just use a switch that is normally open and closes when you turn the key, then just splice into the kill switch wire and send it to ground when the key is turned, that will basically stop the engine from starting.

Reactions: HOTSHOT III
1 - 12 of 12 Posts