Discussion Starter #1
i need a new back tyre for my road bike,it's a Yam XSR700,180/55 17''
i bought the bike in the summer 2017,it came with Pirelli Phantoms

looking for something stickier?

cheers

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Phantom = not real / figment of imagination, most apt for the tyres which look like a grippy tyre....

Almost ANYTHING will be better, personally I would look at sporty touring rubber for good grip in all conditions and wet or dry,

Latest and greatest according to reviews / comparison tests;

Michelin Road 5's
Metzeler Roadtec 01
Conti Road Attack 3
Bridgestone T31

Probably due a replacement, but where top of the pile 2-3 years ago

Dunlop Roadsmart 3

Michelin Pilot Road 4 (Replaced by Road 5)
Pirelli Angel GT

All of those will be way better, I would suggest a new pair if you can afford it, the front is where I want awesome grip, smaller footprint / less grip and almost impossible to save if it does slip.

I put Road 5's on 2 bikes last year and did not like them, loads of grip wet or dry but an odd profle like a race tyre, some love 'em others hate them.

I would say the Metzeler Roadtec01 or Conti Road Attack 3 would be my choice - and I recently got a pair of the Conti's - some say the Metzelers wear a bit quick.

For many years I used Roadsmarts, from v1 up to the v3 on a variety of bikes and they are great tyres - and at the time won most big comparison tests, but now the Roadsmart 3 turns up mid pack in such tests - but if you see a cracking deal on them then you won't regret it ;-)

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks,great reply

i thought the Phantoms were poor,especially when hard on the brakes before a corner
i'l try the Conti

cheers

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bought a pair of ContiSportattack TL's,good price,quick delivery

let's see how they go...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts