KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've recently bought a 125sx (First ever motorbike :) and LOVIG it!!!) and have ridden it for a few hours and want to change the gearbox oil. Im confused as to what Oil to stick in it though....some oils say synthetic, some are semi synthetic, some are fully synthetic and I don't know what I'm looking for and don't want to stick the wrong stuff in.

The bike came with some PUTOLINE Synthetic Race gear oil SAE 80, and some PUTOLINE Synthetic Light gear oil SAE 75. The KTM Manual says to use Motorex Top Speed 4T 15w50 oil......are these 2 different ways of measuring the weight of the oil or does it refer to 1 being semi synthetic and the other fully synthetic or something? What spec oil should I be looking for? I've also heard that some oils can cause clutch issues due to the bike having a wet clutch, can anyone shed some light on what to look for please? Sorry to sound stupid, its proabably a very basic thing! Does it make a difference what the bike is going to be used for to what oil to put in? Im going to start with some Enduro events to gain some experience then hopefully give motox a go.

Thanks

Jamie

·
Premium Member
31,522 Posts
Drain the oil from the left side drain plug near the gearchange.

Add 600 ml of the oil you have been given.

When its all gone, use ATF from Morrisons supermarket.

Dont use the right side drain or level plug....... you have been warned!!

·
Premium Member
31,522 Posts
so why not the right hand drain kev ? do tell.
Cos that clutch cover casing is magnesium and easy to strip. All the oil comes out of the gearbox if you use the left hand drain (and lean the bike over on the sidestand) plus it has the bonus of a magnet on that side :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Cos that clutch cover casing is magnesium and easy to strip. All the oil comes out of the gearbox if you use the left hand drain (and lean the bike over on the sidestand) plus it has the bonus of a magnet on that side :)
Does that apply across the range? For example my 200 exc?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts