KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Firstly I have not yet purchased but after testing an SMT 990 today was very impressed but unfortunately being only 170cm tall found it a bit of a challenge (height wise) so am seriously considering the Super duke. I was wondering though (coming from a Suzuki story) if there could be issues with me changing the oil and the likes, I mean I like working on my bikes but the new bikes like the dread to say BMW's can't be touched by anyone other than BMW mechanics so is the KTM the same?
I also liked being able to get my hands on the Suzuki technical manual, can a KTM Super Duke manual be had as easily?
P.S. this being my first post hope not to offend anyone!!!
Steve.

·
Registered
9,881 Posts
Steve,

welcome to the bar; oil change is easy; so is general maintence - if you join for a tenner a year you can download manuals etc etc - just mention you know me when you sign up and the bouncers will just do upper cuts:p

oh btw its your round...:burp:

·
Registered
403 Posts
You can download the owners manual for free from the ktm site, covers all basic maintenance stuff. Oil changes are a bit different from Suzuki's as the SD has a dry sump, its not hard though.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Im not a lot taller, The 990sm needs its forks dropping through the yokes 10 - 15mm (this makes a lot of difference to both the handling and height issues) and you can get a lower Gel seat (watch out because the standard Gel seat is taller)

The Superduke is nearly as tall (and you really do not want to drop the forks through the yokes:eek:) thats for certain

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all,
Thanks for the replies and the adivse and I hope to post again soon with some news and to particpate is some banter.

·
Registered
446 Posts
the owners manuals, as said above, are free from the KTM website. There is a thread on superduke.net listing downloads for other manuals and documents, like the wiring diagrams for the various years. There is also an LC8 repair manual available if you can find the link on Advrider ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a mill Samba.
Quick update is that I've taken the plunge and made the purchase of a new Super Duke.
What I've read about KTM in general on here made it difficult to not purchase so in the end resistance was futile:smokin:
I'll be picking it up on Saturday and looking forward to the ride home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts