KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

As the title says, I am new to KTM and have my eye on a number of 990adv that I am considering buying. I have the money ready to make a purchase and am really looking forward to owning one of these and have been for a long time. To me the 990adv is one of the coolest looking bikes I have ever seen and the reports I have read (never mind the videos) have me convinced this is the bike for me.

Looking a bit of advice:

- Am I better considering a lower mileage older bike (07/08) with approx 15000 miles, or a later (10/11/12) bike with higher mileage of approx 30000 miles? I am of course considering extras that come with the bike etc.
- How critical is a service history if I plan on giving any new bike I purchase a full (inc valve) service?
- Aux fuel tank (any advice on going 2-1 exhaust with a side mounted tank or any experience with the Rade underseat tank?)
- heated grips (Worth buying a bike with originals or getting a set of oxford?)
- panniers and topbox (are the pannier rails and topbox rack standard or are they different for different manufacturers - ie touratec / hepco and becker?)
- Sat Nav (any issues with powering a satnav set up?)

A bit of a long winded introduction and a load of questions, but I would really appreciate some advice before I make any purchase as I feel I am balancing a lot of options.

PS. I plan on getting some off-road training (been a very long time since I have been off road) both on smaller bikes and the new one I purchase (or machines provided by training center). Any advise very much welcome.

FYI, I am in the Liverpool area and would consider looking at any good condition 990adv that people on the forum may be planning to sell.

Thanks

Barry

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Hi Barry & Welcome

I span your question but have no direct knowledge as I have a 990 Superduke & an 1190 Adventure.

I think you would have more success breaking your questions down in to separate threads.

Am I better considering a lower mileage older bike (07/08) with approx 15000 miles, or a later (10/11/12) bike with higher mileage of approx 30000 miles? I am of course considering extras that come with the bike etc.
Dunno

- How critical is a service history if I plan on giving any new bike I purchase a full (inc valve) service?

That question is probably relevant to all motorcycles, as bikes age the dealer service history isn't likely maintained. You just have to judge each bike and owner on a case by case basis. An owner who has serviced it themselves, has receipts that match the dates of claimed services - no problems.
Bike looks likes shit but owner claims it has been serviced every year but no proof offered then assume it's history is sketchy and might not have been serviced.
Bike not been owned long and sketchy history from previous owner - assume something is wrong with it, low ball or walk away.

- Aux fuel tank (any advice on going 2-1 exhaust with a side mounted tank or any experience with the Rade underseat tank?)
Dunno

- heated grips (Worth buying a bike with originals or getting a set of oxford?)
Dunno, just get some either way.

- panniers and topbox (are the pannier rails and topbox rack standard or are they different for different manufacturers - ie touratec / hepco and becker?)
Dunno

- Sat Nav (any issues with powering a satnav set up?)

None, switched power is available at the headlight

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies so far.

I am planning on looking at a 2011 model on Saturday. Sound well maintained. Looks well maintained on the photos. Obviously wont really know until I see it up close. It is the same old story buying second hand. You pay your money and take your chance. Been reading up on this site and others the last few days so not going completely blind. The truth is if the bike is in good condition, I have no qualms about getting a major service done and a once over for peace of mind anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Barry

I was in the same position as you recently. Agonised for months about colour, spec, mileage, options etc but found it really hard to find anything for sale near me. Decided i needed a sub 10k mile R model with luggage and exhaust. In the end i bought a very tidy 18k mile 2011 bike with no luggage or exhausts on my doorstep and so far its been awesome (hate to use the word but describes it very well)

As ever its best to be realistic on intended use. Full luggage is fine if you plan on doing lots of 2 week plus trips. If its a week or less soft luggage is fine as you shouldn't need much. Theres usually racks and boxes for sale on ebay etc if you need them. Personally i don't like the extra weight and width of panniers and prefer the soft bags for this bike.

Aux tank. Thought about those but got mixed reviews. If you plan on doing lots of big trips maybe but stopping for fuel a bit more often is no biggie.

Heated grips are definitely worth having if you plan on doing any riding in cooler weather but easy enough to retrofit

2 things i found with mine is the standard cans get very hot so changed mine for aftermarket leo vince. Sound superb and cans are cooler but mid pipes are really hot? Was a bugger to get the cans off and ended up shearing all the studs!

I never road any before i bought it and mine was really snatchy when i got it. Lots of ways to get round it but the new exhausts improved things massively

They are very cool bikes and I’m loving its hooligan side!

Sweet lamb adventure training are supposed to be good

1 - 6 of 6 Posts