KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to the forum and new to the world of KTM. I got the bug from a ride on a mates 640 LC4 and then the deal sealer was a ride on my mates 450 SMR. I went looking for a bike pref exc and ideally no larger than a 200. My budget gave me the choice of 2 smokers as I would want to do some work on the engine before starting. I opted for the 380 as I wanted a duel prurpose machine with SM being phase two. Just wanted to hear any opinions of this machine, and is as good as it feels too me. It is clearly a handful but the previous owner has put a half turn throttle on it (thankfully) and I got Swampy at Marsh performance to give me a bit of a de-tune. having the power valve open half way, closing the bypass ports, putting on a thicker head gasket and removing the doma full race system. This with new piston rings and a variety of bearings. Lame I hear some of you say? It certainly is enough of a handfull at this power. In SM guise it will be full power.

So any advice or reccomendations will be very welcome. (esp if it makes kicking it over any easier) or even a friendly jibe or two lol.

Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Also I am in the Plymouth area if anyone wants to go out on the lanes with someone new.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
welcome matey! the 380 is one hell of a powerful bike!! different people say different things about gaskets but I always thought a thicker base gasket made it a bit softer, might be talking crap though as i have never done it myself! I once rode a 380 round a MX track for a couple of laps got to admit it wasnt the easiest bike to get on will but that surge of power is worth all the effort!!

have fun and welcome again!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers dude, it's hard to say when I tested it it had low compression as the rings were worn. After all I have done it still feels more punchy than the day I first rode it. It is a handfull but yeah certainly puts that smile on my face. Not ready for the quick action throttle yet tho.

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
ive had a few 380s now in both mx and moto trim. without a doubt the best bikes ive had. love them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts