KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 621 Posts

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beta 250rr Racing 2021!!
It’s in da howse.

Feels smaller than the beta 300 even though it’s not. No real ride yet but the quick rip about I’ve had shows it’s smooth. Very smooth. Brakes are powerful. Zorst sounds deep and bassy. Not zingy like tpi. Black wheels are a bit naff as will look destroyed in five minutes but they are excel. Beefier callipers and discs than ktm. Seat as hard as the frame. Nice grips. Super light domino throttle. Various bling parts. Fuel filler neck is narrow so can’t use a ktm speed filler. It’s old school jug or can with a pipe. Steering lock is terrible so adjustment needed. Electric start is instant, something I’ve not had on the XCw or Husky, they have been terrible, better on the husky but still well below par. The beta overall is refreshingly simple. Beyond that nothing more I can say yet. So far very happy!

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
I would have said Sherco... but nice one on the new bike (y)

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
KYB... ‘nuff said.
That's why i said Sherco....if i get a new bike it'll probably be a Sherco.. Rode a 300 out in Spain, loved the bike but the suspension (completely bone stock) was amazing.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Nice bike, what did you have to pay for that? They were asking £7000 for the 125 with the cheap forks.
Silencer looks Looooong but thats good, keep things quiet.
No kick start, I assume these will bump start with a flat battery?

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Same price as a stock gasser tpi with xplor! £8100 list price.

It will start without a condenser. This is where the old school bit is my preference.

Yes it has the KYB. It’s a grand more than the stock rr. You get other bling bits. It’s like six days ktm I suppose, no performance advantage but decent forks is excellent. I had tried a 21 300 racing so knew what the suspension was like stock. Kyb a tad firm in stock setting and rear shock pretty wooden. It’s from Steve Plain so I got him to do a minor fork tweak to suit me/local terrain better and also bladder in the Sachs shock. This shocks the same on the racing and standard rr. It’s obviously all very new and stiff but Steve knows his onions so time will tell.

If you want a 250 then be prepared to wait. 300 seems more popular so they arrive more frequently. It has a TPS carb so the ecu knows throttle position. Standard rr has oil injection, racing does not. It’s easy to fit though should you want to add it.

Silencer is longer than the 150s 40cm by 3cm but it is quiet which is great news. Should help top end to once I get to rag it!

Some things are very different to KTM. Switches (chunky and like a jap bike), fuel tank, plastics, seat are all very different, tank isn’t as translucent as a ktm so can’t see fuel at a glance while riding. Other things are very similar. Triple clamps (CNC jobbies) with three holes for bars, domino throttle (pre 17 ktm), location of things, frame layout etc. What is very obvious though is mass in parts themselves. While the racing doesn’t feel heavier than the te150 moving it about, it does look much more solid where it counts. Everything seems chunkier, more material and not stripped to the bare minimum. Hopefully this will bring longevity compared to a ktm. In 40 hours I’d worn through ktm plastics and a set of brake discs. Let’s see how the beta fairs.

So far I’m very happy. It’s a new direction. It’s so far not like people have said about beta in previous years. No vibes or Mickey Mouse parts. This is now my third beta (two trials bikes also). If it ends up like the trials bikes then I’ll be very happy as they’ve been excellent.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Sounds like a cracking bike. My Yz250 has that TPS carb too. When you remove the carb cap you’ll see a few more mechanical parts and you’ve a ‘Power Jet’. Never touched mine tho

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Nice one on the Beta, just make sure you grease all the electrical connections (y)

Reactions: fletche36

·
Registered
577 Posts
The only thing that annoys me on the Beta is I find the spark plug a pain to access. Everything seems a little more cramped in there. Mines an 18 though so it may be slightly different on the 21s.

I’m just deciding wether or not to buy another enduro bike or get a second hand 4t Mx bike to do some Mx for 6 months or so. If I get an enduro it will be another Beta without hesitation.

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice one on the Beta, just make sure you grease all the electrical connections (y)
Already done! Steve silicones a few known snag points as well. He does seem to do a very thorough pre delivery once over which goes beyond just the pdi.

Plug looks easy enough to get at from the right side. It’s very awkward on the 150 husky and the beta looks easier. I have an old school water cooled plug spanner which is flat and easy to fit in if you can see the plug. It wouldn’t work on the husky but should on this. I’ll let you know.

Reactions: Majesty

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It’s a shame but it must save them a fortune. I’ve just printed of 6-7 useful pages out.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Pindie, could well have been scaremongering but when I went to a fantic dealer to look at the 125 I was talking with them and mentioned the fact there were no beta or sherco's available maybe I should hang on until they are, he replied Beta's don't like water, Really I said?, only half listening to be honest you know what salesmen are like:rolleyes: but he said somthing about a few years ago they started putting some electrics in or around the airbox but for some reason they were getting wet and causing problems. Might well have sorted it on the 2021's thats even if it ever was a problem but worth looking in to, I think he said someone in the states made a rubber cover that fixed the problem. Could well be BS to try get me buy the Fantic but who knows?

1 - 20 of 621 Posts