KTM Owners Forum banner
581 - 600 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Thing is, there's always someone quicker than you no matter what you're riding.

The question is, are you faster/safer/having more fun/riding longer because of what you've done to the bike?

When it comes to the money then that's an individual question of how much you're willing to spend to be 5-10% faster/more comfortable.

It's the same when I see proper wobblers pootling around on a brand new KTM six days at 10k and I can piss all over them on my £3.5k worth of 2014 Exc. Doesn't mean they shouldn't have a new bike.

Personally I draw the line at things like rekluse clutches but then I choose a 300 2t because it makes life easier for the technical stuff I enjoy. I could ride a 450 4t but I don't. I could ride a 125 but I don't.

I could use wellies and a piss pot helmet but I use Mx boots and helmet.

I'm not one to throw cash at a bike for bling or cosmetics but I don't skimp on tyres, suspension, or maintenance.

So yeah, Lee does make some valid points but then he also contradicts his own argument in the same breath.

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #582 · (Edited)
Update:

Took the 21 Beta 250 RR racing to Wales and West Hare and Hound at Aberbeeg in South Wales. Cold start after waiting about for 4t riders to turn up and sign on, an hour late start!

They (4t crowd) seemed to be on a go slow and make as much noise as possible mission all race from what I could see. Wretched things should be banned. Bone dry course, air line to clean the bike, nice. Dusty as hell in places. Had a good ride considering my last event last autumn ended in engine failure🤬. Today no such nonsense. Bike was superb. The beta still remains the least fiddled with bike I have owned. No intended changes after today. Might treat it to a nice new pipe though.

Geezer who won my class (vets) was on another planet. He beat a shed load of experts and expert vets to come pretty much top ten overall. That’s fast! Hat off to him.

I managed to stay on the bike without a hitch. Hard route (long dry rocky uphill river bed) each lap (I then found out the easy route was faster after I finished 🙈😂). It was good to take the beta up the hard route. 4th gear, weight back, loose, keep looking forward. Bits of tight woods, nice and rooty, lots of narrow single track, very few fields which is good. Nice banks here and there for jumps.

Course seemed very smooth after the rest the venue has had and without any rain it didn’t get ripped up. It was lots of classic enduro terrain.

I’m now knackered.🤣

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #584 ·
It was like that across the field. I’d say there were more older KTM/Huskies than newer ones. A few ktmagas bikes. Even the odd Fantic (very nice looking bike in the flesh). Lots of Sherco/Beta.

I had a good battle for a while with a young scamp on an old Suzuki RM. Lad was going well, thankfully I’ll be in o50s by the time he’s got it all sorted as he will be quick whoever he is.

Reactions: fletche36

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Exactly Pindie. I think Lee has just stuck a flag in the ground about suspension tuning and sticking to it. Fair enough if that's his approach but I see it the same as any other part of the bike. We all change tyres for something appropriate for what we're riding and when they are worn out - why not do the same with suspension. Of course there are crooks out there that will take money for putting your forks on the shelf for a week, but if you can feel the difference, then surely it's money well spent?

Something I forgot to mention about the XT stock suspension - Blisters! I've never gotten blisters before. But after than one ride I now have them on both thumbs.. maybe because I'm using stock grips but I'm pretty sure blisters are a sign of poor suspension setup. Don't get them on any of my other bikes.

Anyway... another bonus for Beta - literally a single google search and I now have the fork manual, shock manual, recommended settings from Beta etc. Also have the full engine workshop manual, but not the frame manual. All free and all legit through Beta sites. Amazing!
good forks dont give you blisters Al...

Reactions: Al_Orange

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
A friend of mine has had a 22 350 racing beta, I had a few goes on it I rearlly like it. You notice the extra weight compared to my 300 just picking it off the side stand but do not notice it whilst riding it, wonder what the bigger 4 strokes are like. I know the earlier 4 strokes had some problems but any known issues with the new ones?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I've had KTM's for the last 20 years and spent a lot of money on suspension, improvement or replacing.
Mainly because WP suspension was a very poor last place, well behind Kayaba and Showa.
I cant remember what my forks or shock is on my 2020 500 6days,but all I've done is set everything to soft and ride it.
For my speed and where I ride I cant fault it, the shock takes everything and the forks are comfy without pogoing.
I had to wait a long time but well done KTM, I'm well pleased...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Been busy with work so Wednesday was the first time I had been on the bike for a few months. Since then I have changed both fork and shock springs, 13t front sprocket instead of 14, the lucioli tube had a puncture so I fitted the mousse and tyre which came with the bike (mitas xt754) so a lot of changes to get used to.
Did about an hour stopping and starting setting up a lap etc and then 90minutes non stop to try and get some kind of fitness training before the event with WOR next week. Better late than never I suppose.

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #593 ·
How do you find the 13t? I’m on 13/51 on my 250. It’s loads better. Makes it nice and responsive. I went lighter on fork springs. They were 44 now 42. Good luck with the 754. Horrible things if you ask me. They square off, wear badly and only work in a very narrow range of surfaces. They do seem popular though, I just can’t see why.

·
Registered
577 Posts
How do you find the 13t? I’m on 13/51 on my 250. It’s loads better. Makes it nice and responsive. I went lighter on fork springs. They were 44 now 42. Good luck with the 754. Horrible things if you ask me. They square off, wear badly and only work in a very narrow range of surfaces. They do seem popular though, I just can’t see why.
Yeah I won’t be buying a 754 but I’ll just use this until it wears out. Parts of Tong are hard packed with rock and often a thin layer of mud on top and on these bits it was pretty useless. Was ok in the woods on the loamy stuff but given how dry it was I think even a slick tyre would have been ok so hard to judge.

I don’t tend to ride much open stuff so the 13t will suit what I do more often than not. Took a bit to get used to but will be for the best now I’m riding again. It pretty much just makes 1st redundant as it’s so easy to use 2nd on even the slowest stuff.

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #595 ·
Sounds very similar to me. I only use first if need to move the bike in/around an impossible hole where front wheel lift or lack of rear wheel spin is important. 2nd is my first gear really. 3rd and fourth main use cogs. 5 and 6 only for flat out bits. Still does 70+ flat out which is enough for me. I just like using the longer gears.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Back to the beta thing, My mud flap thingy that stops the shock getting hammered made a bid for freedom bolts and all, I ordered a new one about 2 weeks ago from lampkins still nothing. first thing I have bought for the Beta is this as good as it gets?

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #598 ·
Lee, try AB Motorcycles in Merthyr. They hold a lot of stock and always have stuff when I ask. Loctite them screws/bolts in.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I’ve never had to wait more than a couple of days for anything. Stuff usually arrives the day after. I would ring them and check they have posted it and it’s not sat in a desk or something somewhere.

581 - 600 of 628 Posts