KTM Owners Forum banner
601 - 620 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Rang them yesterday seems there is some kind of mix up, getting the domed washers seems to be a problem but no use without. Will locktite work on those glorified self tappers in plastic?

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #602 ·
Seems to be a nightmare to get anything right now. I’ve been waiting ages for some new work computers. Very frustrating.

Self tappers should bite in themselves? It’s in their design to do so but loctite will work on anything as once it goes off it’s set like a temporary glue. There isn’t much I don’t loctite on any bike, especially if it’s things I know I’ll not be taking off frequently. You don’t need big globs of it. Just a dot on the clean and dry thread before you pop it in.

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #604 ·
I can’t wait to see a Stark. I reckon I’ll spit my pops when I do.

Totally fascinated by electric vehicles at the moment. Petrol almost seems stupid, diesel still pointless like 4t. My gene pool has been petrol fed since it began. I’m ready to get my jolts from some volts!

Reactions: sand300

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've been renovating a house. heard the missus telling the family 'he's had the sparky fitting a electric charging point and we don't even own a electric vehicle!

Well that's what she thinks. stark is meant to arrive December (although I heard they are 2-3 months behind schedule)

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Rang them yesterday seems there is some kind of mix up, getting the domed washers seems to be a problem but no use without. Will locktite work on those glorified self tappers in plastic?
If i remember correctly those domed washers come in boxes of "track pack bolt kits" that people buy to have a decent selection of bolts in their spares kit. ill have a root around in the garage tomorrow and see if i can find a couple. Also fork guard upper brake hose bolts are the same as the shock flap bolts ( once again if i remember correctly)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
don't worry Lee, your Stark will arrive soon and will open a whole new can of worms on parts availability 🤣
TBH not taken any notice for a good while now, non of the questions are getting answered just a load of marketing bollox, my order is ment to arrive early december I think so see where it is at in november (or feb) and decide if I want it or not. No doubt plenty will pull out because of this cost of living crisis as well so could go the same way as the Alta.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
If i remember correctly those domed washers come in boxes of "track pack bolt kits" that people buy to have a decent selection of bolts in their spares kit. ill have a root around in the garage tomorrow and see if i can find a couple. Also fork guard upper brake hose bolts are the same as the shock flap bolts ( once again if i remember correctly)
Thanks, I noticed today the hand guard mounts that clamp to the bars have that kind of screw as well.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Thanks, I noticed today the hand guard mounts that clamp to the bars have that kind of screw as well.
Lee, i have found a couple of old dished washers which you are welcome to have. if you want them just pm me your address and ill post them out. they arent shiny and new but they are useable.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
check these out

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Lee, i have found a couple of old dished washers which you are welcome to have. if you want them just pm me your address and ill post them out. they arent shiny and new but they are useable.
Massive thanks for that but my parts were delivered today whilst I was out riding, those oversize screws and anodised cup washers might be worth a go, wondering if some of the plastic thread has been ripped out on mine.
Again thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I can’t wait to see a Stark. I reckon I’ll spit my pops when I do.

Totally fascinated by electric vehicles at the moment. Petrol almost seems stupid, diesel still pointless like 4t. My gene pool has been petrol fed since it began. I’m ready to get my jolts from some volts!
There's a good interview with the Stark CEO on the Gypsy Tales podcast. I'd be very tempted myself but it's got one glaringly massive flaw as far as I'm concerned.

I'm going to have to create a meme which has someone slapping someone else and a caption like "IT HAS NO CLUTCH". I truly do not understand why people think that an electric off-road motorbike doesn't need a clutch. And the e-Trials bikes need gears, and probably so do the enduro bikes.

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #613 ·
After riding the emotion race with a clutch (no gears) I can confirm it’s not essential. The torque is so instant that simply just quick throttle twisting gives you snap like you’d get by using a clutch. The way the electric motor delivers power means you can be incredibly soft or aggressive just on throttle alone. It’s not like petrol power.

I tried various sections and in various modes. I found in the 250 mode I didn’t use the clutch at all when riding what I’d call old school type sections. It seemed like an extra hassle. In 125/300 mode the clutch made more sense bizarrely but not to increase flywheel inertia. Mainly to take the sting out of the power from the ham fisted electric novice rider test. The more I rode it, the less I found I needed the clutch. The clutch is obviously useful when using tick over mode but again, you soon find that if you ride it like an electric bike then you need it less.

Reactions: Miner

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
After riding the emotion race with a clutch (no gears) I can confirm it’s not essential. The torque is so instant that simply just quick throttle twisting gives you snap like you’d get by using a clutch. The way the electric motor delivers power means you can be incredibly soft or aggressive just on throttle alone. It’s not like petrol power.

I tried various sections and in various modes. I found in the 250 mode I didn’t use the clutch at all when riding what I’d call old school type sections. It seemed like an extra hassle. In 125/300 mode the clutch made more sense bizarrely but not to increase flywheel inertia. Mainly to take the sting out of the power from the ham fisted electric novice rider test. The more I rode it, the less I found I needed the clutch. The clutch is obviously useful when using tick over mode but again, you soon find that if you ride it like an electric bike then you need it less.
Did you ride it in mud and did you have any incidents when you needed to kill the drive to stop you having a massive crash?

(I guess those are rhetorical questions - they ride like shit in the wet, and maybe I'm crap but the sort of stuff I ride, I use the clutch to save my arse all the time)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you ride it in mud and did you have any incidents when you needed to kill the drive to stop you having a massive crash?

(I guess those are rhetorical questions - they ride like shit in the wet, and maybe I'm crap but the sort of stuff I ride, I use the clutch to save my arse all the time)
I've had an electric motion epure race (with cutch) for 2 years and have at least 200 hours on it. Before then I had an oset 24r (no clutch trials bike). In my humble opinion the clutch is very important, i would not buy an enduro or trials bike without one. This is because the throttle response is not immediate even on an electric bike. The only(?) way to achieve immediate power is to release the clutch sharpish when the flywheel is spinning. Body English and throttle are just not sufficient - I agree with Al Orange.

Here's a scenario.... You're riding at a pace and need to lift the wheel sharpish to avoid the front wheel dropping into a big hole. Motorbikes are not that light. No clutch = superman air.....and a trip to hospital. I'm fully recovered now ;-)

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I've had an electric motion epure race (with cutch) for 2 years and have at least 200 hours on it. Before then I had an oset 24r (no clutch trials bike). In my humble opinion the clutch is very important, i would not buy an enduro or trials bike without one. This is because the throttle response is not immediate even on an electric bike. The only(?) way to achieve immediate power is to release the clutch sharpish when the flywheel is spinning. Body English and throttle are just not sufficient - I agree with Al Orange.

Here's a scenario.... You're riding at a pace and need to lift the wheel sharpish to avoid the front wheel dropping into a big hole. Motorbikes are not that light. No clutch = superman air.....and a trip to hospital. I'm fully recovered now ;-)
Exactly. It's not so much the NEED to use it, especially on an E-MX bike, but I'd say it's a critical safety feature for WHEN things start going pear shaped. How often are you pushing on and get a bit squirrelly and you just whip in the clutch to kill the drive, the bike loses momentum or the back stops sliding and straightens up, and you go on your merry way, instead of losing balance, giving it a handful of whisky throttle, and getting fired up/over/into something and coming down hard.

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #617 ·

I rode it in thick mud and dry mud. Dry rocks. Wet wooden ramps etc. Stream beds. The clutch is definitely useful. I’d rather have it than not but I found I could “clean” everything I was riding.

At first I was far to eager. It was spinning up at will and and it’s tricky to regain grip on trials tyres but I did what the chap who sent me on the test ride said….don’t back off completely and reapply throttle. It’ll just light up again. You just simply roll the throttle till the throttle matches your physical ground speed, the wheel finds grip and off you go again. You do have to be smooth though. Any jerky input and you’ll break traction.

In 300 mode I found it the worst for maintaining grip. Out on the trails you just snap it open and the front’s lifted! Lots of power as you’d expect. Steepest/highest ledge I went up was wet and approximately 4ft. I’d not have bothered on my Evo 300 but on the epure, it pretty much did it itself. So much easier. I love the throttle connection. I found it very easy to ride personally. I don’t do hops and leaps though. I’m a smooth, stable flowing arc type trials rider. The electric bike seems to do this well I thought.

601 - 620 of 628 Posts