KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, think iv'e dived in at the deep end, if there is anyone out there who can give me info regarding whether my 1998 520 exc is able to be road legal it'd be a great help, it has wires there for the rear lights, front lights, kill switch, horn etc, all i have is frame number and no reg docs, so i'm gonna have to apply etc.

id like to use it on road and mabey a trip to the infamous toms in wales, just riding it on a (very small) bit of waste land it felt like it was so much more powerfull than my zxr750.

my email is [email protected], thanks guys i need all the help i can get.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Welcome to the mad house fella....someone will be along soon to offer you some advice and help with your 98 520 EXC...his name will probably start with Kevin and end in yorks :D

·
Registered
854 Posts
what he said ^^^ haha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, im ready to have some fun on this thing as my zxr is gonna get my license taken off of me, the ktm is something ive wanted for a while and found it on swapz, looking to get it actually on the road by spring

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
thanks guys, im ready to have some fun on this thing as my zxr is gonna get my license taken off of me, the ktm is something ive wanted for a while and found it on swapz, looking to get it actually on the road by spring
As long as you can take a joke, put up with a bit of piss taking and dish it out too....you'll get on just fine.

There's some really good peeps on this forum that know their orange. You should have the 520 on the road by Spring no probs :D

·
Premium Member
31,489 Posts
They did not make the 520EXC until 1999.

PM me the last 6 digits of the frame number and the complete engine number and I will give you as much help as I can :)

·
Premium Member
31,489 Posts
Does it look like this....

right side kickstart, left side chain

or like this....

left side kickstart, right side chain

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Frame number

Hi, thanks for the reply, it's a left kick and right side chain, the frame number is vbkexm404wm506837 will be along shortly with the engine number, thanks guys

·
Premium Member
31,489 Posts
Thats a 540 SXC. LC4 motor,

not it's beautiful, fit young sister with the lighter RFS motor.
;)

looks like you will have to alter your forum name :D

Any KTM dealer will be able to download you PDF of parts manuals, owners manual etc of the KTM system.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thats what I said about my ZX6R so I got another supermoto and sold the ZX6R to try and slow down a bit.

Got spotted doing a wheelie the other day by an unmarked police car :hmh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Engine Num is 8-583*04823* hope this helps , I'm off to a place in loughborough I've heard is really helpful with this stuff but I'll keep you posted how it goes, thinking of doing an oil and filter change and have read the how to on this website, do I have to remove the engine to get to the small cartridge near rear brake lever ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
welcome mate, are you reading the rfs engine oil change guide if so dont bother as the lc4 engine is completly different

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
little update on the whole getting the bike registered thing, rand both dvla and vosa and it seemed i needed a 'certificate of conformity' rang a ktm dealer and they have kindy requested that i hand over £50 for the thing, which is a bit pricey i think but if im to get it registered at the dvla its whats needed.

is there anyone on here that knows the right steps to take to getting it re-registered? also where does the battery go on the bike? as all the wiring is there for horn, front and rear lights and kill switch, havn't really had time to strip it yet, and as my 8mm socket is missing its made it v.difficult to get all panels off.

oh, and if anyone has a wiring diagram that would be great, thanks guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts