KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, hope you're all well. I've just got myself an 07 690sm. Only done 50 miles, but really chuffed so far. It seems to be the fun bike I want. I've got a FZ1N which I love, but on the rubbish roads in N. Devon I just can't use it to its' potential.
Anyway, a quick question if you don't mind. My bike runs great, but idles at a shade over 3,000rpm. I'd rather it was 2,000rpm, but is it all academic anyway? I don't commute or sit in traffic, and it isn't so high that it pushes on into corners. (It's lumpy below 4,500 except for 1st and 2nd, so I keep the revs up a bit). Is the lumpyness normal below those revs, and what do you think about the idle speed?
I've had a few 4 stroke mx bikes so know they idle high, but obv never had a tacho fitted.
I'd appreciate your thoughts please. I've had a search and so far not found an answer. Cheers (y):)
My KTM.jpg

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hello & welcome

Unfortunately I am unable to help you with your questions, however, I am sure some one will be along shortly to assist.

·
Administrator
8,429 Posts
3000 seems very high

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Idle should be around 1500. Sounds like you need a dealer to map it, you don't know what the hell the last owner did Mod wise. He could have Modded it, mapped it, then remove the mods and sold it, which will screw things up a bit.

·
Registered
447 Posts
or... count how many turns in the air bleed screw goes until full seated, then turn them in a bit and start the bike see if it reacts to that.

another thing which might help is to see if its possible to adjust the throttle valve screw (adjustable mechanical endstop in closed position).

because it sounds like a carburettor that has the idle too high and needs adjusting by the setscrews...
but hey maybe its not at all possible on these new injection units...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your thoughts, but the bike is efi. If it were carb I'd be having a good play around, but on this I'm not sure if anything is adjustable at home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts