KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrights lads

im new to the forum just came over from seventeeninches, ive just sold my honda and am looking at a ktm 690smc, ive never ridden one last ktm i owned was a 625sm a few year ago, im looking for something to cruise rather than have to scream its balls out the 450x ive just sold was quick but as soon as i hit a long road it was a bit hard work, can anyone give me any info on this bike i really need to test ride one but not sure where to go to do that i will appreciate your help

jeff:confused:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Yeah I'm in the same situation. As much as I love my 450SMR I am now looking for something which can do a 150 mile trip and not need an oil change on the way back. So is the 2010 model any good, or as its predecessors is it going to be a hit and miss if you get a good one?

·
Registered
244 Posts
i have an 08 690 smc, best bike i have owned yet, 3000 mile service intervals but i change my oil every 2000, got a filter, exhaust(fmf 4.1), remap and up two teeth on the back, top bike only issue is with the clocks misting up (common fault), even with two up on the rear its not screaming its head off on a big road! i had a 640 sm before this and the 690 is streets ahead.

·
Registered
114 Posts
^^What he said - SMC690 all the way! (I have 2010 model now, 2009 was nicked last summer - both are basically the same when bought new)
Had 950SM and SMR990 before, but would take SMC over them anyday - for everything (except highway)

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Read the 690 mega thread - it's all in there - everything you ever wanted to know (or could imagine wanting to know).

p.s. The 690 SMCommuter bike is a fine machine - if you can source one that wasn't built at 16.30 on a Friday afternoon by a disgrunteled apprentice. Oh and the clocks are clearly unfit for purpose - yesterday mine misted up again just as the Autumn temperatures dipped a couple of degrees. I'd love to meet the designer, accountant and manufacturer behind this component - as I'm sure they are really aged 11 and it was an Austrian Primary Scool technology project.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
So basically still the same issue as with my 450smr..avoid motorways. Or can the 690 handle them?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
The 690 can handle Motorways if you really have no other option. Seem to remember someone on here went from the UK (Lancs) to Germany with no problems.

Bigger question is "Why anyone would want to"? It was designed and built as a supermoto styled bike for twisting roads - not a Motorway cruiser.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
So basically still the same issue as with my 450smr..avoid motorways. Or can the 690 handle them?
They are fine and very civilised on Motorways, they will happily cruise at 80+.....Also a favourite trick is keeping the underseat fuel tank filled up for a bit of weight distribution , cos even a hamfisted nob like me could pull some cracking wheelies...;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts