KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I checked ignition coils, spark plug, spark cap, battery, most of the connectors
and now time to check stator and pick up coil. I can see 3 wires
from stator but not sure where is the pulser. There is some thinner cable with 3 wires
going along the stator wires somewhere under the front sprocket, is it it?

·
Premium Member
7,699 Posts
Condensation in a dampish garage? Moisture has got in somewhere - assume it was ok when you last put it away?

·
Premium Member
7,699 Posts
Care required on the block / snap together connectors ....... some solvents can swell the waterproofing seals that are inside them. GT85 is safe enough. I stopped using WD40 years ago because it did similar.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Have a check for moisure in the stop button as well. It's easy to get obsessed over what isn't working, when it might me something like the stop button working too well. My brothers bike cut out once when out riding. We searched for ages for something 'broken' and it turned out to be a dosgy stop button. We 'fixed' it by disconnecting the stop button, I think it's a black wire with a yellow stripe (or at least I think it was on his '10 250f).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kill switch I disconnected already. I just bought park plug tester to make it easy test visually for spark.
I am cleaning connectors and wires but no luck yet.All major ignition components tested except the cdi.
It has to be some stupid little thing I'm missing...

·
Premium Member
7,699 Posts
Can you get the bike in the house? A thorough warming may drive out any moisture that might be causing a problem. Failing that, try a hairdryer over the electrical stuff.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi,
I checked ignition coils, spark plug, spark cap, battery, most of the connectors
and now time to check stator and pick up coil. I can see 3 wires
from stator but not sure where is the pulser. There is some thinner cable with 3 wires
going along the stator wires somewhere under the front sprocket, is it it?
No Spark? Hidden Kev switch you had forgotten about? Laugh all you like, it happened to my mate after a layup!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update, I checked one more time stator and pick up coils and looks like a have break in pick up coil, OL indication.
Wonder how that happened if bike was running up till last moment, granted when I pull out a spark plug it was corroded.
Could be a reason?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
If the pickup coil is open circuit I guess you have found the reason that you have no spark. You maybe lucky and find that the leads coming off the coil have broken or something like that. My Trail Tec stator went open circuit (the coil that powers the CDI in my case). I purchased a new stator from Trail Tec but just for a laugh I unwound the old coil and measured how long the wire was, I then got some single strand wire off ebay and using my lathe I cobbled up a system to rewind the coil with new wire. I didn't get around the ever testing it on the bike though! It might be possible to do something similar with your pickup coil. (I bet that is has a hell of a lot of wire on it though!)

·
Premium Member
7,699 Posts
Update, I checked one more time stator and pick up coils and looks like a have break in pick up coil, OL indication.
Wonder how that happened if bike was running up till last moment, granted when I pull out a spark plug it was corroded.
Could be a reason?

How many hrs on that plug?! I havent seen one that bad in ages. Dunno if its the photo but it looks like a big gap and lots of crud

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance................
How is 'maintenance' going to prevent the pickup coil from going faulty?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
How is 'maintenance' going to prevent the pickup coil from going faulty?
It's probably a load of bollocks,,,,
First post from the person joining the Forum bike won't start and checked everything including the plug. Clearly this thread is a load of crap and we have been given duff information or maybe there just a Troll to keep things moving and the Forum alive.
Then they pull out the plug post a pic that has been checked and in good working order, go laugh and to to Op chuck that in the bin.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
It was more in relation to the plug condition (as per photograph) and perhaps suggesting that the basic maintenance could have been neglected or better.
I agree that the plug does look bad!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts