KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Got a rattle n knock on a 2016 GT that appears to be coming from within clutch housing when riding over a cobble street or a bumpy paved road. This only happens when either on very light throttle or on over run off throttle. The noise will stop when you open the throttle and accelerate. Does not happen when idling.
Any ideas what this could be as I dont think this is normal before I jump in and strip the clutch down. My thoughts are a loose clutch basket.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Check the oil jet near the front sprocket is clear as that supplies oil to the clutch slipper/gripper mechanism.
Also it could just be the centre stand stopper is out of adjustment so the stand is bouncing against the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
9,291 Posts
If clutch oil jet mentioned above has been blocked for a while it can start to cause wear on the clutch booster. You can check this by having bike idling and pull the clutch in a small amount ..... if it rattles then goes when fully pulked in, its the booster getting a bit worn. They wear, get noisy, but seldom fail outright ...... really bad ones cause a bit of clutch slip when you are giving it the beanz.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the comments.
Took clutch cover off and the clutch pressure cap off and checked tightness of the large nut that holds basket on and all was good. So doesn't appear to be the clutch.
Chain slack is within the marks. I had it on paddock stand and ran it in 1st gear and there is a bit of noise from the chain hitting the guides when not under any load just idling but in gear. The clutch is quiet.
I will take it it for a run tomorrow and see how it goes and see if I can find out the source of the noise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Conker in the airbox?

Seriously, had a random noise on a GSXR750 that puzzled me for ages. Eventually put it in to the garage and they pulled out the conker...:sneaky:

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
Conker in the airbox?

Seriously, had a random noise on a GSXR750 that puzzled me for ages. Eventually put it in to the garage and they pulled out the conker...:sneaky:
I had a horrible misfire on an almost new ZZR 1100, rode it all the way back to the dealer I bought it from. He watched me pull up outside the workshop door, strolled over and pulled a leaf off the mesh of the ram air duct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts