KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, bought a 2012 990, does this engine/model suffer from a noisy clutch?
When pulling the clutch leaver in it seems quite rattly, might just be me being over sensitive of a new bike while it still has warranty.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
No, it's not normal on the 990.

The 990 has a clutch booster mechanism which requires a good oil supply to lubricate it.
There is an oil jet near the front sprocket (behind the clutch slave) that needs to be checked periodically but often gets over looked.
If it gets blocks it can lead to a grabby clutch, I think..
If it remains blocked for a length of time the ramp on the mechanism can become worn and it can get noisy.

Here's a vid showing what it is.

If you search LC8 clutch booster on youtube there's loads of vids of people showing theirs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much, I'll take a look when it's a bit warmer in the garage, gone soft in my advancing years :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a simple way to get the black plastic oil jet cover screw off without 'grinding away the black plastic cover?
Does unbolting the clutch cylinder then necessitate a bleed to the system?
Thanks for the help and advice, this forum seems like a good resource for those not so much in the knowledge of KTM's.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Is there a simple way to get the black plastic oil jet cover screw off without 'grinding away the black plastic cover?
I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to but I think the plastic is part of the clutch slave bracket, if so then it will come away when the slave is removed.

No need to drain the slave or anything like that, just undo the bolts and withdraw it from the casing. Might need to remove the sprocket cover too but it's all simple stuff.
Watch out for a little ball bearing that's on the end of slave cylinder actuator rod as it might fall off once it's out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's great thanks again.
You're spot on, in the guide it suggests grinding it off
Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle Crankset Automotive tire

Being unfamiliar with the bike I wasn't sure whether I'd have to bleed the clutch.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The jet can be a twat to undo. Don't try with a screw driver as that can round it.
Best way is to use a good fitting screw driver bit and then use a small spanner to turn it whilst also pressing it down with your finger, or better still use that bit with 1/4" ratchet handle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts