KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This place where I stay when visiting the big smoke could be the set for the next Indiana Jones movie. Theres more spider webs than the Adams family house and I don't even know how many snakes live in the ceiling.

I know theres two different types of snake up there, and I can hear them sliding around up on the other side of the plasterboard 5 ft away lol. I'm just so curious about the ones I haven't seen and sometimes wonder if the ceiling is about to cave in under the weight of a movie style pile o snakes. :eek:

Anyway, this is the only pic I have snapped so far of one known resident. Returning late morning. A couple of days ago.

Then later that evening, my mate calmly says. "So, theres a snake in here with us." And sure enough there it was a couple of foot away behind me. Fortunately Pythons are highly intelligent and thus easy to work with. So it wasn't hard to put him back outside. But it still got everyones heart beating.

So there ya go. As we get into the cold part of the year over in your neck of the woods. This place will be piping hot and teeming with snakes lol.
On the bright side, at least theres no possums living in the roof. Or rats under the house for that matter.

Got anything living in your roof?

Edit: Didn't actually mean to post this in the sumo section, can a mod move to offtopic please.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mate you can keep em!!!

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
It was bad enough when we had mice in the roof - it sounded like a bunch of stormtroopers marching around at 3.00am.
We ended up sleeping on the living room floor until the little blighters found the traps.
Somehow though I think I would prefer it if it was a snake.

·
Registered
535 Posts
It was bad enough when we had mice in the roof - it sounded like a bunch of stormtroopers marching around at 3.00am.
We ended up sleeping on the living room floor until the little blighters found the traps.
Somehow though I think I would prefer it if it was a snake.
Snake + mice = only one winner there:smokin::);)

Can remember times in Africa, when the marching ants would swarm and get into the roof space where the Geckos would be.....cue thrashing and thumping, then silence:frown: If any snakes got in the way, then they'd be the next course:eek:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Noisy upstairs neighbour

Thanks for sharing that...........I will read THIS post on a regular basis

Up untill now I have spent our crap winters dreaming of riding and living in OZ...fueled by your fantastic Photos (The one that did it for me was the beach in mid winter on your 690sm........That was the closest I have come to Robbing a bank and riding off on my Superduke with a backpack full of Loot heading for OZ)

But now while im freezing my T*ts off mid winter........I will just read your post and be bloody happy that snakes dont do British winters

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh definitely, I'd give a nice python the thumbs up over rodents any day. And while I don't mind possums, they really are noisy and don't sound pretty lol.

I've just worked out why I can hear so much slithering overhead. I popped a ceiling vent and stuck a self lighting web cam up there, and its packed with fibreglass insulation batts. The snakes must think its heaven up there. Warm, dry, cozy ffs lol. And why its so noisy everytime they move. Pythons can travel in a straight line, they pull alternating stomach muscles to make their belly scales hinge and use them like hundreds of tiny claws.

Now, all I have to do is find a way to get the camera up above insulation level so I can see where I can hear movement. And see if I can do it without getting my warm, rat sized hand chomped on whilst sticking it up though a small hole lol. Will hopefully have a good home movie soon lol.

·
Registered
666 Posts
holy crap:eek:
I'm over your side of the world at the moment, visiting my brother in Melbourne and we had a possum in the roof last week. That was annoying enough.

·
Registered
849 Posts
My God. And people actually want to emigrate to Oz, I'll keep my cold weather thankyou very much indeedy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, there's plenty of Black widows over here that will suck you dry and there not even spiders, so not allot of difference really.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm across the Congo at the moment, we have fruit bats as big as eagles, and 2 troops of monkies tearing each other up for the rule of this patch of land. Along with that its rainy season, which means the pythons and mambas are coming into the compound looking for cats and rodents, then its flying ants as big as your thumb time ......... and of course the mozzies are feckin everywhere at the moment.

Gotta love the jungle

·
Registered
330 Posts
Seeing the title of the thread, I was expecting to see some creature with curves, :D
.... not like this :eek:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha yea curvy.. But not in the best way.

Well yesterday I missed the best photo I never took. I got that web cam up in the ceiling, standing on one corner of a desk, reaching up through the hole, I start panning the camera around to see what I can find.... nothing but insulation. I look up to readjust my grip on the camera, then back to the monitor, and all I could see on screen was snake that had suddenly appeared right up close lol. It was a perfect photo, so I left the camera where it was and ripped my arm out, jumped down to get a screen capture, and do you think I could!!! Dammit lol. Darn webcam program froze up and missed the whole event lol.

And of course he's gone now. I spooked him but missed the shot completely. Bloody computers.. I will see if he comes back and try again.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I'm across the Congo at the moment, we have fruit bats as big as eagles, and 2 troops of monkies tearing each other up for the rule of this patch of land. Along with that its rainy season, which means the pythons and mambas are coming into the compound looking for cats and rodents, then its flying ants as big as your thumb time ......... and of course the mozzies are feckin everywhere at the moment.

Gotta love the jungle
Sounds like Leicester!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts