KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This has been covered ages ago and the conclusion was that the non OEM discs do not last as long as KTM discs but I was wondering whether this is still the case, my front disc is down to 2.8mm thick which I think is the lower limit. So has anyone tried a non OEM disc which they would recommend?

Also because I'm running Nissin master cylinder which bore 1mm larger than the Brembo unit I find that the lever feels nice and solid with little movement but this a slightly at the expense of the overall stopping power, so second question, has anyone tried the larger discs that some people are selling?

EDIT...Artrax don't seem to get a 'slating', what do you guys reckon to these discs.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Looks like TWS stock Galfer discs but they cost more than the KTM disc. :(

EDIT...Hold he press! Dirt Bike Spec do them for half the price of TWS....

Galfer Front Fixed Wave Disc (dirtbikespec.com)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would go stock or Galfer.
Bigger disc means greater unsprung mass and increased chance to damage on rocks. (depending where you ride)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Stock or Galfer (who used to make the stock KTM ones). I used to use Racediscs but they wear fast and i found they also wear pads faster as well so false economy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Found the very same with race disc ones. Only good for selling a bike and that is about it.

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
Odd - never had a problem with race discs (sand, chalk, flint and mud over here)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I always use Pro Action 👍

Reactions: xttrev

·
Registered
585 Posts
The floating disc on the front of my 6days is a galfer, not sure about the solid rear. I've got 2 sets of 6days wheels, one for practise/trail riding and the other for races, so wear is shared. The bike has done about 140hrs now and the discs look barely worn in both sets of wheels. In related news, the pair of supersprox rear sprockets look barely worn as well. I defiantly would have gone through a few sets of alloy ones by now. The older I'm getting, the more I'm realising that as much as it feels like OEMs are ripping us off, the parts like brakes do seem to be worth the extra.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good info Guys, I think I'll go for a 260mm Galfer

Reactions: jimdavis and Mxdave

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ended up buying a front and rear disc and pads for both (all Galfer) from DirtBikeSpec for 170 quid, so not too bad!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Ended up buying a front and rear disc and pads for both (all Galfer) from DirtBikeSpec for 170 quid, so not too bad!
Just saw that deal, pretty good. i did destroy a set of Galfer sintered pads in the back in about an hour at a very wet sandy enduro once but for "normal" riding sure they'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Found a few but non UK. I might email DBS and ask about them. Rather buy local.

Code is DF607WLL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts