KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Norton have gone to the wall, sad really. How many UK bike manufacturers are actually left?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Terrible shame really thought they were getting somewhere.. obviously not..I don't think they managed to expand their range needed some smaller bikes.. really surprised they didn't jump on the scrambler bandwagon

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Not surprised and not sorry one bit. Having bought one of the original 150 Commando bikes from the new 'Norton Motorcycles' they are an absolute shower. Stuart Garner is a chancer and does not deserve to be successful, I would so love someone to buy this company from the Administrators for £1 and make a huge success of it just to see that bullshitters face.

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Not surprised and not sorry one bit. Having bought one of the original 150 Commando bikes from the new 'Norton Motorcycles' they are an absolute shower. Stuart Garner is a chancer and does not deserve to be successful, I would so love someone to buy this company from the Administrators for £1 and make a huge success of it just to see that bullshitters face.
What 70's Commando? That's a long grudge, I thought after the TT bike using the Aprilia motor they developed their own V4.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I think there problem was they just made bikes
for collectors and there is only so many out there that want something in the corner that never gets ridden

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
What 70's Commando? That's a long grudge, I thought after the TT bike using the Aprilia motor they developed their own V4.
One of the first 961SE in 2010. They had to recover it twice before I gave up on it and them.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just another version of the Husqvarna and Mini saga. Someone buys a redundant motor brand and sticks it on a completely different model. No continuity with the original brand history but trading on nostalgia amongst older potential buyers.

If the brand name was anything else, no one would be batting an eyelid.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't know much about this fella who bailed them out...but I think its a shame that another British manufacturer has seeming gone down the drink. I think it's a real challenge for companies like Norton to carve out an identity and find or build a captive audience/market so they struggle to compete. I think some of their bikes look cool...but £20k for a cafe racer that Joe Public couldn't distinguish from a Triumph and costs half as much (and probably goes and handles much better) is not a winning business model. They don't differentiate themselves enough to charge the premium they place on their product.

Shame for the folk that work there...

·
Registered
920 Posts
Would be good if Triumph bought them. Though with Triumph jumping into bed with Bajaj this week, probably with a view to taking on Royal Enfield, that's probably not on the cards.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Dominic Chappell lives a mile down the road from me. Shall I have a word?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I know a bloke who ordered a V4SS when they were first announced, paid £44K in full and eventually received his bike last summer. It's in his living room, has never been ridden and never will be. But he's got himself a pretty unique collector's item. As a piece of motorcycling history it's an investment that is unlikely to lose money but it must be a sickener to sit there and look at it. I couldn't do it. I'd have to put into storage.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I did the factory tour in early December. Feel sorry for the people who I met that were working there. The chaps in the welding / fab shop making tanks and frames in particular. They were friendly, knew their stuff and obvious enthusiasts for the products.

No doubt the brand will re emerge in new hands. Personally I'd prefer to see it owned by Triumph and placed on some suitable products rather than being simply shipped off to Asia and ending up on some shonky 125 that's made of cheese (that weighs as much as lead.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts