KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking for a while now but there’s not many 890 Adv R’s on the market.
There’s normally a good amount of ex-demo bikes filtering through but not at the moment.
Is there a warehouse full of them somewhere or are they that good no one wants to part with them?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi
I have one of these on my potential list but agreed second hand few and far between.
That said I’ve been offered a decent deal on a new one with some extras added.
No demo on an R but trying an S tomorrow to see what the motor is like.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
I have one of these on my potential list but agreed second hand few and far between.
That said I’ve been offered a decent deal on a new one with some extras added.
No demo on an R but trying an S tomorrow to see what the motor is like.
Cheers
Steve
Let us know how it goes, I think we know the result 😂
The one on eBay has only done 1500mls but has seen some action looking at the pre enjoyed scars 🙈

·
Registered
19 Posts
I took a chance and bought mine unseen. I'm so glad I did. I changed from a 1090 Adventure S because I wanted something lighter and more capable off-road. I've only done 600 miles so far, not even revved it past 6.5k. I truly love it though. It is so nimble on the road, even on 50/50 Karoo 3 tyres. I've yet to ride it off-road but if what I've seen on YouTube is anything to go by, I'm not expecting to be disappointed. I bought it from Judd Racing and paid just under list price but that included the Tech Pack.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took a chance and bought mine unseen. I'm so glad I did. I changed from a 1090 Adventure S because I wanted something lighter and more capable off-road. I've only done 600 miles so far, not even revved it past 6.5k. I truly love it though. It is so nimble on the road, even on 50/50 Karoo 3 tyres. I've yet to ride it off-road but if what I've seen on YouTube is anything to go by, I'm not expecting to be disappointed. I bought it from Judd Racing and paid just under list price but that included the Tech Pack.
I’m down sizing from an 1190 Adv for the same reasons, it just seems wrong firing a new bike up green lanes 🤣
Karoo 3’s we’re great on the 1190 both on and off road but didn’t last long when used for commuting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m down sizing from an 1190 Adv for the same reasons, it just seems wrong firing a new bike up green lanes 🤣
Karoo 3’s we’re great on the 1190 both on and off road but didn’t last long when used for commuting.
I'm too old to be precious about my bike sp I ride it at every opportunity. I guess I pay the price for this in cleaning chemicals and time spent washing it.

Bret Tacx reckons he only gets 2,000 (road) miles out of Karoo 3's on his 790. I'm starting to look around for my next set. I left it until I needed them last time and had to settle for whatever the shop could get hold of. I'm thinking if I order and pay for them now, they or I, can just hang on to them until the time is right.

·
Registered
859 Posts
If you are only getting 2000 miles, then if you are going off road you'd be better with a knobbly like the Dunlop with the cruciform tread...606R I think it's called. It will last 2000 miles too, but grip far better.
I'd consider Mitas E07+, or something from the Motoz line-up...although those are horribly expensive now.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are only getting 2000 miles, then if you are going off road you'd be better with a knobbly like the Dunlop with the cruciform tread...606R I think it's called. It will last 2000 miles too, but grip far better.
I'd consider Mitas E07+, or something from the Motoz line-up...although those are horribly expensive now.
I use the Mitas E07+ on my 1190, good on trails and the road.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I've got them on my 950 Adv...rides very well, grips well on the muddy roads round 'ere, and is acceptable for easy trail riding. Looks like a tractor tyre.
Better than the Mefos I had before, but won't last as long on the back as the Super Explorer, even though I got the harder Dakar version. The front looks like it will outlast the front Mefo Explorer.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get a 790 not much in it
No good I would always be looking for that but more and would hate the bike for it.

move been doing some research and after watching reviews some of the number plates keep reappearing on the tests from different testers and now those bikes are filtering through onto the market!!
I don’t want a bike that’s been thrashed by the press so it looks like new one could come into play.
Anyone looking for a good priced 1190🤣😂

·
Registered
53 Posts
Let us know how it goes, I think we know the result 😂
The one on eBay has only done 1500mls but has seen some action looking at the pre enjoyed scars 🙈
Hi so ride an 890 Adventure S today as there was on R to demo.Test ride was good overall but odd and it took me a while to realise what it was and it’s an almost complete lack of engine braking. It was weird after years of riding superbikes with noticeable braking.
It felt light and manoeuvrable, powerful enough delivered easily with no jerks or surprises. Should be ok off-road.
Happily cruised at 85+ mph and was smooth with clear mirrors.
Buffeting around my lid was bad from the higher screen though.
Roads were shitty so wasn’t pushing hard but handling seemed good. Brakes seemed good.
BUT the sound was insipid -definitely needs a can.
I can spec it how I want- full Tech pack including Rally pack, titanium Arrow, centre stand and electric grips and it comes in at £500 under the Triumph Rally Pro which would also need different tyres.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi so ride an 890 Adventure S today as there was on R to demo.Test ride was good overall but odd and it took me a while to realise what it was and it’s an almost complete lack of engine braking. It was weird after years of riding superbikes with noticeable braking.
It felt light and manoeuvrable, powerful enough delivered easily with no jerks or surprises. Should be ok off-road.
Happily cruised at 85+ mph and was smooth with clear mirrors.
Buffeting around my lid was bad from the higher screen though.
Roads were shitty so wasn’t pushing hard but handling seemed good. Brakes seemed good.
BUT the sound was insipid -definitely needs a can.
I can spec it how I want- full Tech pack including Rally pack, titanium Arrow, centre stand and electric grips and it comes in at £500 under the Triumph Rally Pro which would also need different tyres.
Cheers
Steve
Had 890 adventure s while superduke was serviced
Agree with wind buffering but that was about it
Enjoyed it

·
Registered
859 Posts
Gear 4 have got a promotion on...a few hundred £ off and a free 'tech pack'...ie more annoying electronics to go wrong the first time it gets wet.

·
Administrator
3,902 Posts
Have a look at this vid B4 U buy very poor quality and Dashes always have condensation probs 💧
Great video that. Non-annoying American who knows his stuff eh. Sure some problems with the bike, but at the same time made me kind of want one...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great video that. Non-annoying American who knows his stuff eh. Sure some problems with the bike, but at the same time made me kind of want one...
The 790 was the pilot bike for the 890 so it’s pretty much well sorted🤞

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Camper than a row of tents that guy! Knows his shit but would definitely want cuddles I reckon…

1 - 20 of 27 Posts