KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I ain't done them on the 950 yet so can't give any part No's ....pity no-one near you could give a hand, it's an easy job....and would be a fraction of the cost.

I usually suspend the bike from my garage roof beam with a couple of ratchet straps, drop the forks off then the yokes, drift out the outer races from the steering head with a long drift ie: long 8mm from somewhere like here ...just type long drift in search option

http://www.primetools.co.uk/index.php?page=products&cat=search

then tackle the yokes on the bench ..the bearings have the part No's on the edges ...if you order them from simplybearings they will be there next day (you could get the local friendly garage to remove and replace the bottom bearing set);)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Koyo: L45449/10

Most manufacturers use the same code.

Mine had SKF, but Koyo fited exactly the same, any reputable brand is fine since they ussually die from rust before anything else

int. D: 29mm
out. D: 50.29

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sweet as!
Thank you lads
Looks like Mr Tatts may even give me a hand with the fitting, so all is good

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
motooka; that link you gave is for an L45449/L45410 bearing that's 50.25 mm outer diameter.
The other L45449/L45410 bearings on that site have 50.29 mm outer diameter like Oki says.

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p41256/TIMKEN+L45449/L45410+Imp+Taper+Roller+Brg+1.1417x1.98x0.5600+inch/product_info.html
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p40198/KOYO+L45449/L45410+Imp+Taper+Roller+Brg+1.1417x1.98x0.5600+inch/product_info.html

I wonder which is right or if it's important? Also, these other ones are 14.7 mm wide, whereas your linked one is 15 mm wide.
It's probably your one as its description is 'motorcycle steering head' whereas the others are more general.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Had to pass on tattoo...bit too far away.
Bracken sorted it out lovely job, I got the parts and they charged 1.5 hours labour, 100 notes. The bearings were as others have described above; bottom one all brown and corroded, hard to get off. The new L45449/L45410 Koyo bearings I got from motooka's link above fitted great.
It's certainly made a difference, heh can't believe I ran it as long as I did on the screwed up ones, probably a bit dangerous.
Thanks a bunch esp motooka and Oki :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 990sm 08 done 6500 miles, on second set of tyres, Michelins. Mine has developed similar tendencies. I did consider the head bearings but think its maybe the tyre? Sounds a bit unlikely I know. Have you positively sorted your problem yet?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just about to order replacement head bearings for my 950SM but not clear on exactly which ones I need.

The links in the thread show 2 alternatives - one is 29x50.25x15mm the other is described as 29x50.29x14.22.

Both have the same code. Can anyone advise which one is correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi!
After having the exact same feel in the steering of my 950 SMR i decided to give it a go, with a twist.
3 mechanics had felt the bike and told me nothing was wrong..
But it got to the point that i didnt trust the bike, so i rode less.
Soo, i took it apart and this is what i found.
The twist part is that i drilled a hole in the steering head and put a grease nipple there.
After cleaning the inside thouroughly i packed the whole steering head with grease via the nipple before tightening it down. As i left a 2 mm gap up and down the grease could fully pack the steering head.
I have driven it and it doesnt affect the steering a bit, it just feels ultra smooth.
So thanxz for the advice on the bearings!
Cheers
// Lars

21 - 36 of 36 Posts