KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following an interface with dibble last weekend, one of the issues raised was my 7x5 numberplate. I was advised that "illegal plates" are now an endorseable matter (3 points) plus fine. I managed to swerve that with a warning, but does anyone know if this is actually correct?

I think dibble got it wrong (together with other nonesense relating to lack of indicators, chainguard, angle of numberplate and, wait for it, chain being too slack) ...... l have looked online, and aside from some MP wanting illegal plates to become endorseable, l cant find any confirmation that this is now actual law.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Thats a new one on me....mine went through an mot with a none standard numberplate...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats a new one on me....mine went through an mot with a none standard numberplate...

Yeah, mine do too ...... but my mots are mainly having a cuppa and a catch up with the tester.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
There must have been a law passed somewhere to justify that....last time I got pulled i had a 3x9 strip plate on my rsv4 and while he said "get it changed"....he made no mention of points. Thats was about 9 months ago...

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I’ve always ridden with a legal sized plate and a secondary plate beneath just in case i crash and damage the original. Is that right way to say this?

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
There’s plenty of stuff to get you on plates. Dimensions. Letter size. Distance to plate edge etc. No idea if really a legal point but it’s not an easy one to argue. I have a 7x3cm plate. It’s definitely dodgy.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
It's just something they can use against you if they want to. Generally, the police know that it's a dick move to do someone for a small plate, but not if they've seen you hooning around or generally being a dick to them.

I've had a copper just point to my tiny plate and just say "come on, there's a limit mate". So I went up to a 7x5 Flexi.

Definitely need a full size plate for an MOT but then the tester knows it's coming straight off.

·
Premium Member
8,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The background to this is that me and 2 mates found ourselves in the middle of an operation targeting crossers using a byway route that is tro'd atm. We weren't using it (or intending to, just parked up in a forest cut near entranc).

Big operation involving dibble 4x4's, bikes and a loader taking away crossers.

We were in wrong place, wrong time. First trail ride since the summer ........ oh, and a covid fine (another matter).

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
What the rozzer versus the MOT man will accept is very different for lots of reasons.

Here is my normal size versus a medium flexi plate. The larger one looks huge but it is still half the size of full legal.

AFD66A54-8DDD-416A-93CC-28CF46F5AAF7.jpeg

·
Premium Member
8,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And the wedge plate is illegal anyway as its not 2 rows!

I know, its all bonkers, and normal dibble just dont get it.

I was stopped by a traffic dibble once and l said "what do l do? Have a legal sized plate that breaks and shows half the reg, or a smaller plate that is more robust and will remain whole?"

He knew what l was on about and said that he wouldnt "action anything".

I repeated same story to the normal dibble last week and they just warned me.

I am sure we all have stories lkke that though.

And that is all ok untill it is made an endorseable offence - so why did dibble tell me it is now endorseable, or were they just trying to spook me?

Maybe mentioning a famous clash song didnt help.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
That small one looks like a standard sized Welsh plate.
I have a standard size plate but, being a ‘14, means it can be cut right back to the 11mm surround so is much smaller than off the shelf. The only things that ruin are is that it’s a flexiplate on the angled holder (plus no plate light?).
The only time I fitted a full size rigid plate was when we did the Timber Woods LDT and there was a warning that the polis would be out. It got ripped off when I bounced of a hedgerow a few miles in, got zip tied on then fell off again somewhere on the Pilgrims Way, never to be seen again. Never lost a flexiplate in 12 years.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The regs around plates are very blurred. I know that single line plates are not legal on bikes, probably down to a correctly sized plate being wider than the bike.
As far as 3 line plates are concerned, the regs state that plates should be in 2 lines rather than must.
I use a 6 x 5 3 line flexiplate and it has always been fine for an MOT. I have a scar down the back of 1 thigh caused by a broken full sized acrylic plate so I don't care if I get points, I'm not going through A&E and 15 stitches again. I also use Velcro to fix the plate on so it will detach in a crash.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
BMW always had vertical three line plates back in the 70’s or so. Don’t quite know why as their bikes were always twice the width of all the others. ;)

Mazda Miata (MX5 imports) were allowed to have small plates to fit the smaller boot indent and loads of Alfas had tiny offset front plates. But for some reason, the British sports car stick on plate on the front of the bonnet could get you into trouble, presumably because of the angle, but that was way before cameras.

Reactions: Ship

·
Registered
827 Posts
At this time it is non endorsable...however legislation is being considered to make it a 3 point and fine offence. To my knowledge it is not law yet.

Three line plates on bikes registered before 01.09.2001 are legal but only as long as that plate was made prior to 01.09.2001.

It does not matter if your bike was registered before 01.09.2001, if the plate was made after that date, it must comply with the later requirements.

The worrying one is re private registration plates. If they do not comply...after two offences DVLA will issue a Q plate and remove the private reg. To make this happen dibble has to inform DVLA you have been stopped...its paperwork so they don't all do it.

The traffic law and MOT regs have little in common...don't get confused with what the tester allows and what dibble can do.

·
Premium Member
31,545 Posts
I have a £250 private plate on mine that's only 3 digits wide so I can run a legal plate that's thinner than standard.

Reactions: WIBBLE
1 - 18 of 18 Posts