KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
The O2, aka lambda sensor, essentially measures the A/F ratio, providing a signal to the ECU for engine management settings. You did not say which bike this is for? If it is a 2009-onwards 690 then the ebay eliminator will not work, the ECU will recognise a constant signal and assume there is a fault, it then flips back and forth between fuel settings. There are a couple of great threads on the surging and an O2 controller mod - 2012> 690 SD O2 controller mod. - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum and http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/supermoto/213049-ktm-690-smc-duke-surging-sorted.html. I've had one on my bike for a few weeks now - it absolutely works and there is an installation guide that explains the whole A/F thing in better detail.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry its for a 2010 duke 690, so wont work. Tbh im happy how it runs....apart from jumping at slow speeds when going on and off throttle, i accept that due to it being a big single.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Sorry its for a 2010 duke 690, so wont work. Tbh im happy how it runs....apart from jumping at slow speeds when going on and off throttle, i accept that due to it being a big single.
The 'jumping' isn't just due to it being a big single. There's 2 parts to the fuelling map for EU regulations, it's the jump between these 2 fuelling maps that causes the on/off jump. I'm just waiting for a plug 'n play mod that should hopefully solve this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honestly, check with kevxtx that the O2 controller mod will work on your duke, that jumping/surging is a thing of the past for me on my 2013 SMC-R, throttle on is smooth. Read the reviews in the two threads, everyone who has one raves about it, it will be the best money you will spend on a mod, hands down! (You can tell I'm stoked with mine, completely changed the bike for me on a sketchy throttle that almost made me not buy it in the first place :))

·
Registered
14 Posts
Untested on the 2007 SM model at this time, the O2 controller mod will definitely work on all SMC 2008>2011 & 2012 to 2013 SMC-R models
So where is the difference between my ECU to the models you wrote?
SMC-R has the real 690 engine.
I know that they have the map selector.
What else?
And something more since you join the thread , because I want to share some knowlege:

What is your O2 thingy difference from just simple O2 Plug elliminator?

I am running the Akra map, DNA filter and stock Duke 690 exhaust., btw.

·
Registered
117 Posts

So where is the difference between my ECU to the models you wrote?
SMC-R has the real 690 engine.
I know that they have the map selector.
What else?
And something more since you join the thread , because I want to share some knowlege:

What is your O2 thingy difference from just simple O2 Plug elliminator?

I am running the Akra map, DNA filter and stock Duke 690 exhaust., btw.
As mentioned I have not tested my O2 controller mod on your model so I am unable to tell if there is a difference between the models, as far as I can tell on paper the 2008 to 2011 all run the same ECU's, I have new info coming in weekly & am working towards testing my O2 controller mod on all 690 models.

The plug in O2 eliminator resistor type fix the A/F ratio at a unknown A/F ratio & is proven that the KTM 690 still surge with them fitted. With my O2 controller we use the O2 sensors own generated square wave input 0 to 1 voltage signal to monitor the A/F ratio in real time all the time, I modify this input signal & generate a new square wave 0 to 1 voltage signal which will change every time the bike fires between 13.4:1 & 13.6:1, if the A/F ratio runs to rich or to lean in the exhaust header my O2 controller will compensate & correct the A/F ratio trying to keep it between 13.4 & 13.6:1, a fixed type resistor can not do that.

On a Yamaha XT660 when fitting this type of fixed O2 resistor Eliminator the A/F ratio cycles as shown here below You Tube clip I captured this on the Dyno with a fixed load on the Dyno brake with the ECU running in the closed loop mapping, I sent my findings to Dynojet USA & UK & after reviewing my findings they removed their O2 resistor type Eliminators from market for all XT660's & now sell their O2 Optimizers for the XT660's. My O2 controller was released 6 months before Dynojets O2 Optimizer & they have bought one of my controllers I would think to see what I have done to control the O2 closed loop circuit.

XT660X 09 Model Surge - YouTube

Fit my O2 controller on a XT660 & the A/F ratio is stable at a known A/F ratio in the closed loop, the latest KTM O2 controller is simular design to this one used in the below clip.

XT660X O2 sensor turned off.avi - YouTube

I don't sell fools gold every mod I sell is 100% Dyno proven to work, if you are happy with the way your bike rides then I am happy. I make these mode to help riders who hate their bikes surging

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Kev for the info. Please let me-us know about. your findings.
Anyway, I will try the plug as soon as I get it, because I bought it and share impressions.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kevxtx, i think iv read about your 'box of magic' and every review is positive. Do you have a website or a link to view/purchase. I dont use my bike much....so busy with work and any free time its usually raining, i cant remember how it drives/ if there is much surging, but reading forums im allways keen to improve it.

Whats the difference in price for shipping to the uk and shipping to perth WA. As iv got a family member who is coming over soon and may be cheaper to ship to her so she can bring it over.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
117 Posts
Kevxtx, i think iv read about your 'box of magic' and every review is positive. Do you have a website or a link to view/purchase. I dont use my bike much....so busy with work and any free time its usually raining, i cant remember how it drives/ if there is much surging, but reading forums im allways keen to improve it.

Whats the difference in price for shipping to the uk and shipping to perth WA. As iv got a family member who is coming over soon and may be cheaper to ship to her so she can bring it over.

Thanks in advance
They can be bought directly from me via PM all I need is an Email address so I can send you a PayPal invoice. The O2 controller mods cost Australian AUD$110.00 +postage, postage to the UK $25.00 5 to 10 days, postage to Perth $10.55 2 to 3 days to reach Perth.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I've just fitted one of the KEVXTX mods to my 2010 690 SMC and all I can say is it's the one single mod that has had the biggest impact! The low speed and low rev throttle response/snatch has been improved by 90%, the response is now smooth and linear. Everyone that owns a 690 of any description should fit one of these. C

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've just fitted one of the KEVXTX mods to my 2010 690 SMC and all I can say is it's the one single mod that has had the biggest impact! The low speed and low rev throttle response/snatch has been improved by 90%, the response is now smooth and linear. Everyone that owns a 690 of any description should fit one of these. C
Thanks for your feedback Crispy glad the O2 controller mod met your expectations, now you know how much emission control comes into the mapping side of things. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fitted the O2 plug and no noticable difference in the throtle openings. By the way I was not having jerky throtle
because my mechanic had it twicked installing the Akra map. Anyway. I was after sharper responsivness.
Wasted money IMO... Kev any news about my model? No donors yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fitted the O2 plug and no noticable difference in the throtle openings. By the way I was not having jerky throtle
because my mechanic had it twicked installing the Akra map. Anyway. I was after sharper responsivness.
Wasted money IMO... Kev any news about my model? No donors yet?
Hey blackmamba,

Just checking - are you referring to fitting the O2 eliminator plug from ebay or to Kev's O2 Controller mod?

Cheers
Gary

·
Registered
117 Posts
He was trying the EBay plug in resistor Eliminator where you remove the O2 sensor from the circuit, not my O2 controller, as mentioned before they don't work.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts