KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry that my first post is a cry for help, but before I pull the damn thing apart and start tracing every wire, I wondered if this had occurred with anyone else or was an identified issue (I've searched, but not found the same symptoms)

This all happened today. Trip down to the supermarket for our essentials, combining getting our groceries, maintaining my sanity by having a ride there, plus dropping stuff off to my Mum! The bike started fine to ride down and started fine after being in the supermarket. Stopped to fill up, then the following happened:

• Pressed starter and heard a relay click in the dash somewhere, I think, but zero noise from the starter.
  • I had to get home, so I dropped the sump guard and bridged the starter terminals to get it to fire - worked no problem
  • I have a voltmeter, so noticed that a) the charge warning light was on and b) the output to the voltmeter was 11.5v (edit to add, charge light extinguished about 3 miles in, with no change in voltmeter reading - hovered between 11.5 and 11.7 all the way home with revs having no impact)
  • Got home (about 15 miles) without the volt reading dropping, in fact it went up slightly, but at no stage showed a 13+v charging behaviour
  • When I got home and switched off, suddenly the starter motor kicks in and would not stop trying to fire (bike wasn't giving sparks or fuel, I assume, so just spun over) I was on the way to pulling the battery, when it ran out of juice
  • Trying another battery in it, it sparks when trying to connect, so there is a short somewhere
I got it late last year, knowing it'd need a little TLC, so in that time, it's had a new reg/rec and a new starter solenoid, trying to make it more solid. (reg/rec was for a charging thing I subsequently traced to the fuse holder in the starter solenoid being sketchy at best)

Battery is a three month old genuine Yuasa YTZ14S

Tell me it's something known and I'm not going to have to pull everything off and get the multimeter on every wire!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Start with the relay. RHS under sump guard. Get it all out and cleaned, pay attention to all contacts and wires going to and from it and the battery/rectifier, If all is okay (doubt it) pack the relay with Vaseline (that's what I have always done) I would then look at the wire that come down from the headstock and disappears behind the plastic panel on the RHS, known issue of rubbing frayed wires then, starter button area. A battery below 12v is normally knackered, but yours is 3months old.
Read this, my links should also work.
Good luck.
Urgent Help Required Please Electrical Fault

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome cheers - when I said starter solenoid, I meant relay - that's been changed very recently (and connections smeared with vaseline, then covering them all in a good coat of dielectric grease)

The frayed wires around the headstock is a good steer - given the permanent on/trying to start behaviour when I stopped the engine, deffo fits the crime of it being in that area. Having looked at the wiring diagrams, at least the bits that were running on seem to be good old dumb wiring, rather than anything ECU controlled.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Never heard of an ecu issue with these beasties, just fickle battery and starter relay probs. But once on top of these, jobs a good un. Fantastic bikes IMO on my 2nd, upgraded to an R(y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks all for this. Had a quick look at the loom and it seems pristine - however, one thing occurred to me. When I replaced the relay recently it was with a cheap and nasty chinese job - thinking about the failure mode, I'd bet it's jammed closed and when I was riding home, the starter was spinning, but because the engine was running, the sprag clutch wasn't engaging - kill the engine, sprag clutch starts engaging....

So - what's my best option for a genuine starter relay? Trevor Pope? Is it going to cost me £60 for a fused relay? :D

(edit to confirm suspicions) continuity test over the relay posts show continuity, so it's jammed closed.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
IMO buy cheap buy twice. £60 is nothing for peace of mind whilst travelling around on a motorbike. As soon as it goes again, you'll be straight into the stealer for a genuine part.
Your choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a ton of pennies for a simple relay though :) Actual cost will be a few quid, but hey ho.

The query was basically if there was an online supplier or a reputable pattern part doing the rounds at a reasonable price, but if it's the full bhuna dealer tax price, then so be it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts